• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ratbastrd

Booting up
Skier
Looking for advice on an All Mountain ski.

About me: I'm 53, 6-1", 210lbs.

Ski predominately in the Sierras. I grew up skiing at squaw (back when the skating rink was in the parking lot). I'm an L3+, that has unfortunately suffered a couple serious leg injuries that have slowed me down a bit over the years. Just getting back in the saddle after a spiral tib/fib few years ago.

Prefer 70/30 off/on piste and a bit of OB when I can reach it. Looking for a "snow day" ski that can handle the typical Sierra snow day ie: 12" new (heavy) in the am > tracked out by 10:30 > heavy/choppy snow by EOD.

Leaning 100mm underfoot +/-. Must be nimble enough to check speed in the trees, floaty enough to be proficient in deeper snow without constant supervision (doesn't need to be a pow ski). More fun/lively then stiff/damp, though with at my weight I need something on the stiffer side. Prefer more front end suspension to absorb the hits in tracked out heavy snow, but not too stiff. Not worried about edge hold in ice, but do like to carve turns at speed when running out on the groomers.

I've skied the Mantra M5 (hated em, not particularly good at anything), Kore 99 (great ski but way to damp and dead), enforcer 100's (skied 186's which were fun but my knee was weak so I couldn't really open em up) and then Legend x96's which I surprisingly enjoyed.

The problem with Legends was the odd side cut and rocker. They are a forgiving stiff ski but the odd sidecut left me feeling like I was skiing on a small portion of the edge vs the length of the ski.

I've narrowed down my choices to the following, would love feedback from those who have skied these:

J Ski Masterblasters (181cm) (Sounds really fun but too narrow?)
Nordica Enforcer 100 (177cm) (bullet proof but too damp and tight in the tail?)
Nordica Enforcer 104's (179cm) (Interesting but what is it?)
Line SD 104's (179cm) (fun but too soft and slow edge to edge?)

Thanks!

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The Legend 96 would be a great choice imo. The Legend 88, 96 & 106 are all great. I’d give the Fischer Pro Mountain 95 and the K2 Mindbender’s a look as well.

trailtrimmer

Stuck in the Flatlands
Skier
Take a look at the Kendo/Brahma/Monster 88. They all handle 12” or fresh to crud quite well.

Scratch the above, saw you were 70% off piste. Enforcer 100, BMX104 and bonafide would be more your speed.

Last edited:

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Nordica Enforcer 104 Free in 186cm is your ski. Great off piste where you’re mostly skiing but can rip groomers too. Tails are super easy to pivot in tight spots and it kills crud. More fun and playful compared to the 100 and easier to ski. Might be the best Enforcer in tracked out snow besides the Pro.

Used mine a ton since I got them from everything to hard groomers to Spring skiing and does great in anything. Would be a great one ski quiver in the West.

TS
Ratbastrd

Ratbastrd

Booting up
Skier
Why are you choosing these short?

So I suffered a spiral tib/fib in Jan 2010. Went through numerous surgeries to save my leg. Didn't think I'd ski again. I don't have as much feeling or nerve activity in that leg, so a smaller ski is easier to manage.

I'm not skiing that fast so it's not really an issue.

TS
Ratbastrd

Ratbastrd

Booting up
Skier
Nordica Enforcer 104 Free in 186cm is your ski. Great off piste where you’re mostly skiing but can rip groomers too. Tails are super easy to pivot in tight spots and it kills crud. More fun and playful compared to the 100 and easier to ski. Might be the best Enforcer in tracked out snow besides the Pro.

Used mine a ton since I got them from everything to hard groomers to Spring skiing and does great in anything. Would be a great one ski quiver in the West.

Thanks man! Your the second person to say almost the exact same thing

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I really liked the Armada Tracers at 98 and 108. If that's not strong enough maybe the Invictus.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Have any of.you guys skied the Sick Day or Masterblasters?

Sick Day 104 is a lighter, fun ski but find it a little too light myself for afternoon crud busting etc. Better on harder snow than the older version of SD used to be but still not that great. See it more as a 50/50 type ski that would be fun with a pair of shift bindings.

Masterblaster is a great ski and kind of like an Enforcer Free 96 if they made it. More playful with it’s twin tail than an Enforcer 93 but still has the back bone and weight of an Enforcer. Yet to meet an owner of that ski that doesn’t love it. 181cm length would be a good size in that ski.
The Metal is a great too if you wanted a wider ski but find it not as good on harder groomers or as stable as the Enforcer Free 104 even though it’s heavier than the E104.

TS
Ratbastrd

Ratbastrd

Booting up
Skier
Sick Day 104 is a lighter, fun ski but find it a little too light myself for afternoon crud busting etc. Better on harder snow than the older version of SD used to be but still not that great. See it more as a 50/50 type ski that would be fun with a pair of shift bindings.

Masterblaster is a great ski and kind of like an Enforcer Free 96 if they made it. More playful with it’s twin tail than an Enforcer 93 but still has the back bone and weight of an Enforcer. Yet to meet an owner of that ski that doesn’t love it. 181cm length would be a good size in that ski.
The Metal is a great too if you wanted a wider ski but find it not as good on harder groomers or as stable as the Enforcer Free 104 even though it’s heavier than the E104.

Thus your getting a lot more ski out of the Enforcer 104, vs the Masterblaster? More float and still have solid firm snow performance?

Seems like with this scenario I could find a proper groomer ski and proper pow ski and have a very nice line up.

Analisa

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I haven't skied the Legends, but the Chams and Sick Days were really similar to me in terms of how demanding they are, but without the polarizing Dynastar 5-point sidecut. But while the new construction is a ton better on groomers, there are probably better options than the 104.

I'd throw out the Black Crows Navis - wider ski, but the shape carves incredibly well and softer than the Enforcers.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Thus your getting a lot more ski out of the Enforcer 104, vs the Masterblaster? More float and still have solid firm snow performance?

Seems like with this scenario I could find a proper groomer ski and proper pow ski and have a very nice line up.

If getting a narrower groomer ski and wider proper pow ski is the case, then definetly the 104 Free would be a great choice for that “middle” ski in your conditions.

I’m more in the East Coast and I’m 6’2”/175.

I have a 84mm Head Framewall 181cm “hard snow/park” ski with very little rocker that’s lots of fun when stuff stays firm all day and Enforcer 93 185cm as my daily driver that’s great all day from firm in the morning to afternoon crud. Enforcer 104 Free 186cm for days where we get snow or I know it’s going to be soft snow all day with more afternoon crud. Moment Bibby 184cm for powder days or Spring skiing afternoons for very high, small mogul like crud mound destroying. Each ski can handle harder or softer snow than most in their width and are easy to ski but still have a strong backbone.

For you, I’d add something like the Brahma 88 or Enforcer 88 for your harder snow ski that will still be decent if you do get some afternoon crud, the E104 as your bit of new snow or softer snow ski and then a wider powder ski like a Moment Wildcat, Black Crows Anima or Mindbender 116 when you get a decent snowfall.

3 skis that are all very versatile and you won’t feel like you’re “on the wrong ski” if things change during the day. I can’t live with skis that aren’t “pretty good/great at everything” anymore.

TS
Ratbastrd

Ratbastrd

Booting up
Skier
So pulled the trigger on the 104's today. @GregK recommended Corbett's who gave me 10% off on the sticks along with their end of season discounts on pivot 12's, which in CAD is a screaming deal for us south of the border folks.

Not sure what your doing for Nicole but she sure likes you Greg .

Thanks again, very happy with this decision.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
[QUOTE

Not sure what your doing for Nicole but she sure likes you Greg .

Thanks again, very happy with this decision.[/QUOTE]

That’s a little personal.....lol

I’ve bought 20 pairs of skis from them in the last 7 years so they kinda like me there. Haha

Glad you got such a great deal on them. You’ll love them!

Sponsor

Staff online