• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Corgski

Getting off the lift
Skier
Watch the length, I have made that mistake, as well as going too stiff in the past. I need something more all mountain for my one son who is similar in height and weight to your son but would not go longer than 170. The Dynastar web site is pretty good at suggesting lengths in the Q and A sections for each ski. For example, for the Dynastar Legend x84 (maybe an option, available with bindings for just over $400), he'd be in the 163 -170cm range.

James

Out There
Instructor
THATS your beef with the hardgoods industry? Boot companies have "CANTING" on the ski boot cuff. Boot flexes are all over the chart with no standardization. Bindings that are perfectly good are being pulled from Indemnification carts and you are concerned with marketing names of titanium and titial. ;)
It's a beef. Plus it's simple. You've got to start somewhere.
Titanium is a an element. Like aluminum. Both are metals. Not marketing names.
Plytanium is a brand name of plywood.
Titanal is a brand name of aluminum sheet.
Neither contain the element titanium.

It's either a blatant lie or total ignorance. Neither which make anyone in the ski industry look great. They could just say "metal" and be accurate. Totally fine.
It's hard to take anything a company product person says seriously if they can't get that right. Is the use of Bafatex completely wrong and bs too?

"Canting" used for the cuff actually isn't wrong, it's just usually used for the sole. Or airplane winglets. Or pistol grips. (Just learned those)

The Binding issue is complicated. That requires agreements I presume.
Boot flex I've been over numerous times. It's more important to list angles, dimensions, volumes. That's a bridge too far. Maybe it's because product managers allow their companies to print things and say things that are blatantly wrong.

IMG_6144.GIF

LOL well he's not the only one....I long ago had to realise that my rantings to fellow skiers and ski shop personnel about the fact that titanal is in fact predominantly aluminium and contains no titanium were just embarrassing to my family, and it was time to internally calm myself down - "Ok just shut up Rob, it's not that important".
Lol. I gave it up too. Except it came up last weekend in a shop that should know better. So...I went to my phone and still had the pdf on Titanal from posting it years ago. They appreciated it.

noggin

Getting on the lift
Skier
Enforcer 93 would be an great choice . I think you should consider the Navigator 90 which you might find a good deal since they are being replaced by the Enforcer 88. He can use these to grow into the enforcer lineup.My daily is the E93 but the Navigator 90 was a blast as well and Imho good for a teenager.

TS
Mendieta

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
For example, for the Dynastar Legend x84 (maybe an option, available with bindings for just over $400), he'd be in the 163 -170cm range.

Thank you! How about the Legend x88? It seems a little bit more beefy, but still playful, according to our reviews here at Pugski. @Philpug realli liked it. I would prefer to have a short list and see what I find online. I wold love a system ski, btw, Less variables, and I love my rallies and he loves his system dynastars, too.

This will be a transition ski for my son for sure, assuming he gets to ski a decent number of days over the next 2-3 seasons :)

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
Try the 93 in a shorter length? They make a 169 I think. The 177 is my daily driver, but I probably have almost 100 pounds on your son.

TS
Mendieta

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Try the 93 in a shorter length? They make a 169 I think. The 177 is my daily driver, but I probably have almost 100 pounds on your son.

Yes, it felt really playful to me but I was coming from demoing the Bones in 180 and the E100 in 185. Definitely more playful than my Rally 170cm. But to yours and some others' point above, the 177 E93 might be too much. The 169 might be a tad short honestly, but maybe if I find it at a good price. Great suggestion!

Vinnie

Getting on the lift
Skier
My son snowboards but 2 of his buddies ski and for their first pair of new skis they both went with Armada ARV 106 (typical DD width in the Pacific NW) @ 180cm. They ski aggressively in the park and off of natural features and absolutely love the ski. They got them when they were 17 and were about the same height and weight at the time as your son.

JohnnyG

Getting on the lift
Skier
Well you got that new Fischer RC One 86 GT A carver with all mountain chops. See @Erik Timmerman 's review.

It's really disappointing to have someone who works for Fischer talk about Titanium when it's Titanal. Now, maybe it's actually titanium? Seriously doubt it. This confusion ia rampant in the ski industry. Titanal is an aluminum alloy trade name produced by the Austrian company AMAG. It contains 0% titanium. None. Even their product brochure says titanium in the picture, but Titanal in the description.
Bafatex is the other material he mentions.
Pg 12:
https://fischersports.com.ua/media//files/Alpine.pdf

Carbotanium all the things!

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
He might like the Atomic Bentchetler 100's. I think I was weigh (get it?) too heavy for them but I could see a lighter, strong, athletic person liking them. Don't dismiss the DPS Cassiars in 87 and 94 as options. Two of my favorites. I also have a pair of Moment Tahoes (96 under foot) with demos that he's welcome to try out. If he likes them I'm sure we can come to an agreement.:D

Corgski

Getting off the lift
Skier
Thank you! How about the Legend x88?
I don't want to judge ski width for conditions I am not familiar with, but I wonder if you are emphasizing height too much over weight and strength. A 6ft person is only 20% taller than a 5ft person, but can easily be twice the weight, that is why weight by far outranks height in importance in ski choice.

Very easy to end up with too much ski for kids, that is how I ended up using one of my son's skis while we wait for him to grow into it. Unless that is the whole purpose of this discussion, in which case the 177 Enforcers will be perfect - just explain to everyone that they first need to be broken in by a heavier skier for a couple of years. ;)

TS
Mendieta

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
I don't want to judge ski width for conditions I am not familiar with, but I wonder if you are emphasizing height too much over weight and strength. A 6ft person is only 20% taller than a 5ft person, but can easily be twice the weight, that is why weight by far outranks height in importance in ski choice.

Very easy to end up with too much ski for kids, that is how I ended up using one of my son's skis while we wait for him to grow into it. Unless that is the whole purpose of this discussion, in which case the 177 Enforcers will be perfect - just explain to everyone that they first need to be broken in by a heavier skier for a couple of years. ;)

Great points. But do you think the legend x88 would be too much?

Corgski

Getting off the lift
Skier
Great points. But do you think the legend x88 would be too much?
I suspect they are both reasonable options, though the x88 does sound like the nicer (but more expensive) ski. My son skis somewhat icy bumps so the soft tip of the x84 sounds more appropriate for him, however that does not seem relevant for your situation. If you went for either I would just check with all the sizing suggestions on the Dynastar website (height table and weight guidelines in the Q&A). I imagine if you check with that you should be OK.

Last edited:

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Hi all

My son is turning 17 years old this summer. He is still on his first (3 years old) skis: Dynastar Powertrack 79 @166cm. He is now about 175cm, 135lbs, and has skied 50 to 60 days. Time for new skis. He likes slarving, smearing and taking bump runs.

I am looking for a longer ski, but also a more advanced ski that can carve, hold its own in crud, but would also be easy to pivot. I tried the Enforcer 93 in 177cm and I think that could be perfect. He might have to grow into it though, and I am a few inches and a good, omg, quite a few pounds heavier. It was great in bumps, but can also float, carve, cut through crud, etc.

Any comparables that my dear friends here could suggest? I would love to have a short list of 3 or 4 and shop for opportunities :D

Oh, he got bootfited this past fall into his first real boots. That's covered :)

Thanks a lot in advance.

A Rustler 9 and Soul Rider should be on the list. And as good a ski as the Legend 88x is, it's probably going to feel planky for his weight and size.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Going to a bendable 80-90'ish ski, the Navigators are hard to beat.