• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

NE1

Getting on the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Betting they were left in ski bag wet for an extended period or carried unprotected on car top over wet, salted roads and stored without wiping down. ...Or both...

bigguyski

Booting up
Skier
Hello,

Just wondering how long this took to complete? How many times on the belt(if used) and how many passes on the stone? Does your machine have a side edger belt?

Thanks,

TS
Doug Briggs

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Hello,

Just wondering how long this took to complete? How many times on the belt(if used) and how many passes on the stone? Does your machine have a side edger belt?

Thanks,

The machine has ceramic discs for side and base edges. We didn't need to pull back the sidewalls as these skis have caps and very little plastic above the edges.

Here is a video of the machine. The discs are to the right of the stone and swing up and down to do side and base edges.

I made a few passes on the belt to make sure the concave tips didn't gouge the stone. These skis came with concave tips 'by design' and you would void the warranty if you ground them flat. I just ground enough to insure the p-tex next to the edges was at the level of the edges for about a half inch or so.

Then they got a few side edge bevel passes as they wanted a 1/3 and the side edges started near zero; it was hard to measure for all the rust. Next they got numerous base passess, mostly with the stone with a strong linear patter to blank it out but with an occasional base edge grind to help protect the stone from unnecessary metal contact. Final passes actually set the base bevel true and put on the final structure. It took a few base belt pases, maybe 3 side edge passes, 10 - 15 base stone and a couple (final) base edge passes to get them looking right. All in all about 45 - 50 minutes start to finish, not including wax, scrape and brush which is about 10 minutes.

Last edited:

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Betting they were left in ski bag wet for an extended period or carried unprotected on car top over wet, salted roads and stored without wiping down. ...Or both...

I've seen Metrons in similar shape - actually worse, the rust had gotten in past the plastic - which were merely left amongst garden tools in a concrete-floored garage (in the NE).

TS
Doug Briggs

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Here is another interesting bit of work.

The guy said 'I thought I might have scratched them' when I called to discuss his repair.

IMG_20190104_133434769.jpg

I had removed a bit of P-Tex with a knife, but this was pretty much how it came in.

I used a thin Dremel cut off tool to 'enhance' the gap between the sidewall and the core, then flooded the gap with epoxy and clamped it. (no photo)

Then I fit the new piece of edge. It is wider than the original and instead of making it fit so that when filed back it was the same length, I let the edge piece be as close to the center of the ski as possible to improve the grip the screws would have.

IMG_20190104_194229235.jpg

I flooded the repair with epoxy and let it cure.
IMG_20190105_113517320.jpg

I started to remove the epoxy before I remember to snap a photo.

IMG_20190105_114237495.jpg

After all the excess has been removed. I will go back and recess the screw heads which are flush in this picture. I'll top them with epoxy. Given how this guy skis and abuses his skis, I deemed it appropriate to forego a P-Tex patch so that there'd be more epoxy to lend strength to the edge.

He also has a broken heel piece. It was right over the broken edge so I suspect the same impact did both.
IMG_20190104_211838395.jpg

Purely by chance another Look Pivot was in for warranty replacement.
IMG_20190104_211830906.jpg

Same break but it was a complete fracture. Metal bindings are not infallible.

A curious assortment of boot plastic from the jointer.
IMG_20190105_123633504.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20190105_114237495.jpg
    IMG_20190105_114237495.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 5
TS
Doug Briggs

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
The final result of the edge replacement.

IMG_20190113_203244763.jpg

The screws are now recessed and embedded in epoxy. You can't see it well, but the epoxy is now structured from a base grind.

TS
Doug Briggs

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
People seem to do the craziest things. And expect the shop to mend the error of their ways.

These skis had a note on the ticket saying to the effect 'dragged behind car'.

So they went joring behind a car with their Atomic race skis. Brilliant.

IMG_20190114_170531172.jpg

IMG_20190114_170547166.jpg

Before

IMG_20190114_184242151.jpg

After. We are up to the task. 5 or more sticks of p-text later, a few cycles over a 80 grit belt (to stress the p-tex adhesion and remove excess) and a blanking on the stone followed by a 'regular' tune.

It is interesting (but not surprising) that when waxing the skis, you could easily make out the repairs. Since original p-tex is not the same as the p-tex applied by the gun, it responds differently to the heat.

What will tonight bring?

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
People seem to do the craziest things. And expect the shop to mend the error of their ways.

These skis had a note on the ticket saying to the effect 'dragged behind car'.

So they went joring behind a car with their Atomic race skis. Brilliant.
Ahhhhh....the old "parking lot grind".
At least it's free.

Sponsor