• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
TS
AmyPJ

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I'd Ditch the poles for a few runs, ski with your hands on your hips, then with them forward always in your vision.
Sometimes over rotating is due to dropping an arm (back) or swinging arm forward early, Poles can and do interrupt the turn, being hurried or late in your turns may be causing this.. Try rail roading feeling the carving of the skis and really finish your turn, By OVER finishing them, make the skis go Up hill. Relax and let the ski do the work. knowing you did "feel" it, It's there.
and Good Old Falling leaf drill is great for fore/aft balance and making skis behave.. Most of All Have Fun!
Da man stole my poles hmmm two seasons ago, made me ski crud! It's not a bad idea to do it again. The poles do sometimes add another element of "something to coordinate" and my pole plants have gotten weak, too.

moreoutdoorYuri

Getting on the lift
Skier
Central Coast, Ca. - Mammoth main squeeze! LOL!
Mel, so awesome for you to chime in! Trust me when I say the L3 husband has been drilling me with this stuff for three years now, and I literally canNOT get the feel for it. The closest I got was when I demoed the Santa Ana 88s last winter which is why I bought them! I have yet to be able to replicate that feeling.

@moreoutdoorYuri, yes, I over rotate when turning left. I've been working hard on this but it's hit or miss. Again, chicken or egg issue. A result of my fractured tibial plateau 5 years ago? Hard to know. This is not a new issue in these new boots. In fact, these boots have overall been the best pair I've been in in 4 seasons. As to the big toe/ball of foot pressure. I was given a drill to do that by an examiner 2 years ago. In these boots, with the flat bindings, it would open my ankle up so much I'd get thrown back. I was playing with it yesterday with the bindings with more delta, and it was working better, which is one reason I think my fore/aft is off.

Hoping to get some answers tomorrow!
Hi Amy,
So, taking your comments a little further - you say your body position (in image) is still a result of the prior left turn (image being well into right turn) as 'over-rotation'? Generally a strong indicator of over-rotation is the outside arm/hand back/high/wide open - your arm is relatively forward/neutral position. You're heading where you're aiming.

Your image is really a classic image of pressure distribution issue - pressure/weight to the outside/downhill and inside/uphill ski. Others have noted this, particularly @LiquidFeet. That's why I mentioned the Ball O Foot pressure - one can't properly pressure the outside ski and feel Ball O Foot pressure with too much distributed to the inside ski.
With regards Ball O Foot and oft mentioned Big Toe - i try not to involve Big Toe in an discussion/remarks of Ball O Foot pressure because many strongly interpret a need to 'pressure' the big toe. Toooo much ... trying to put pressure beyond the Ball to the Big Toe causes further unnecessary engagement of the calf and even into the quads - overtaxing when not needed. Simple check - balanced stand in your street shoes, pressure one side Ball O foot enough to feel the dominant pressure there; now try to pressure the Big Toe also... you'll feel what I'm saying.

I'm not quite sure what you are saying "it would open my ankle up so much I'd get thrown back".

My suggestion is to try the simple/hard to do things first - sight/body orientation to where you wish to go ( yards ahead, not directly in front). Better pressure/weight distribution for each turn - appropriate to the slope and conditions (with the help of Ball O Foot). We're all not perfectly balanced and many favor one side - I know I do. That's why the first runs for me are always 'awareness/focus' runs. Do what I know, focus on what puts me in full control and best turns. I leave the Highspeed railed groomers and POW for a bit later. I can drop into 'Lazy' without much effort, after which getting in the zone becomes doubly hard.
...actually I don't do Highspeed railed groomers... I much prefer terrain, areas where line selection becomes a mental game, steep is good - left over from my early decades back east...

It's not uncome to have boots feel 'loose' as the day and the season progresses. Feet can and do seem to shrink after time on the boot. I resist as much as possible buckling down much further. Usually I unbuckle at lunch to help get some additional circulation back in the feet - so they stay warmer after noon. I don;t take my feet out.
If boot liners still feel tooo packed out, there are simple, neutral, non-permanent ways to take up micro space.
:snow:
- send some snow our way! Mammoth could sure use a bunch more cover until the next dump!

TS
AmyPJ

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, I had some serious validation for my entire ski life and experience with boots today from Matt at Park City Boot Room: I will NEVER fit into a standard lug boot. My feet measure 23 mondo, 21.5 over instep/ankle, and are 80mm wide. Yes, 80mm. I have extremely flexible ankles and need footbeds with more posting. I'll be starting over--all the drills and technique work in the world will just continue to frustrate me until I can get a true performance fit in my boots. Until then, we posted the footbed a bit more toward the front of the foot, and added a large piece of padding to the medial side of the cuff to get me quicker response when I tip, and take up some volume there.

Now, the hunt is on for a 22.5 (he said I could go to a 21.5, which are brutal small) 100-110 flex 92 last boot. Even with the ability to contact reps locally, I'm not having much luck. Word is that Head (which I'm scared of since I was in a B5, but in a 23.5, and they were BIG, and have an aggressive stance) are moving to a 9 or 8 degree forward lean for next season, which sounds pretty awesome to me.

One of his initial comments to me was that I'm not having alignment issues--I'm having fit issues.

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
Now, the hunt is on for a 22.5 (he said I could go to a 21.5
Read this thread

moreoutdoorYuri

Getting on the lift
Skier
Central Coast, Ca. - Mammoth main squeeze! LOL!
Hi Amy,
SO good that you have further info to define things. A great start point to address concerns.
but NEVER is not an open start point.
And lug boot is not familiar term, other than sole design, as on hiking or the walking sole of AT or the newer WTR type designs for alpine.
I'm more familiar with traditional 'overlap' design like your ProMachines, Cabrio/Mid-Entry/Panel design like Full Tilt, and re-emerging Rear-Entry - not mentioning some exotics...
So, I don't recommend 'never', be open to considerations.
So here's what you know now, 23 mondo foot length, 80 mm width (all numbers same for both feet?), and 21.5 instep (my preferred measure method for instep is from heel over instep back to heel - most used over the years; as opposed to perpendicular from sole over instep back to sole... which was used on you?)
So, was your arch length measured? I consider arch length a critical measurement in boot model and shell sizing.
Instep is also critical in model and shell sizing.
Given your known numbers, the 23 mondo and 80 ish width means a slightly narrow forefoot width for the foot length - not excessive.
21.5 instep measured heel/instep/heel is a slighty lower instep - midpoint avg stats say instep = mondo length - give or take - your instep might be normal/average for women that size, if instep measured close to your 23 mondo.
Arch length would now factor in greatly to make further refinements for model search and sizing.
IE - my numbers
mondo length - 28.4 RT, 28.6 LF, instep 32.6 RT 33.0 LF cm, arch length 21.0 RT 21.2 LF cm, forefoot width 98 RT 99 LF mm
what this tells me is my super tall instep and super long arch length and narrow feet will be deciding factors on model/fit (my heel width also needs consideration...)
Hopefully you're not equating your quite normalish forefoot width with 'std last size' one hears for boot models... It's a mistake so many others make.
'Std last size' quoted for most mens/unisex models comes from mens 9.5 / 10 size - mondo 26/26.5 . That's the '95', '98', '102' width you hear and read about for ski boot models. The actual 'last size' for any actual boot size will vary greatly from 'std last'. Especially variations from mens to womens models. Most HiPro models will be last sized closer to 'womens' width in sizing below 25, for good reason. Your ProMachines in your current boot/shell size are certainly NOT last sized to the '98' you hear about them. Nor would that be true for larger sizes like 28,29,30...
Given a slightly narrower forefoot and lower instep foot (instep measurement method considered) controlling your foot inside the boot is a major consideration. That also means controlling the stacking orientation at the ankle.
I would highly recommend considering good orthotic footbeds to mate to whatever you decide to do about boots.
A good orthotic footbed which takes up a bit of volume might even help greatly with your current boots; given consideration for effective overall ramp angle changes.
Good luck with your quest for solutions!

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Well, I had some serious validation for my entire ski life and experience with boots today from Matt at Park City Boot Room: I will NEVER fit into a standard lug boot. My feet measure 23 mondo, 21.5 over instep/ankle, and are 80mm wide. Yes, 80mm. I have extremely flexible ankles and need footbeds with more posting. I'll be starting over--all the drills and technique work in the world will just continue to frustrate me until I can get a true performance fit in my boots. Until then, we posted the footbed a bit more toward the front of the foot, and added a large piece of padding to the medial side of the cuff to get me quicker response when I tip, and take up some volume there.

Now, the hunt is on for a 22.5 (he said I could go to a 21.5, which are brutal small) 100-110 flex 92 last boot. Even with the ability to contact reps locally, I'm not having much luck. We know that the warehouse here does not have a Lange ZJ+ because we called on that last week. Will check to see if they have a Rossi ZJ+. Haven't heard back from Nordica yet. Word is that Head (which I'm scared of since I was in a B5, but in a 23.5, and they were BIG, and have an aggressive stance) are moving to a 9 or 8 degree forward lean for next season, which sounds pretty awesome to me.

One of his initial comments to me was that I'm not having alignment issues--I'm having fit issues.

Head has the B5 in a 22 shell. Also, the Raptor 90 RS W and Raptor 90S RS. Based on your foot measurements (especially the lower than average instep) I wouldn't shy away from the Raptor just because of your experience with the B5 that was too large.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Here are a bunch of options for your consideration:

TS
AmyPJ

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Just a quick response as I’m skiing. my instep was taken from heel to heel.
The posting towards the front of the footbed made a MASSIVE difference in speed of turn initiation. Still not ideal, but it’s a stopgap for now.

Scrundy

I like beer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Just a quick response as I’m skiing. my instep was taken from heel to heel.
The posting towards the front of the footbed made a MASSIVE difference in speed of turn initiation. Still not ideal, but it’s a stopgap for now.
What ya mean by posting towards the front of the foot bed?

TS
AmyPJ

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
What ya mean by posting towards the front of the foot bed?
Towards the front of the arch. After assessing my footbeds, I need more arch support and it needs to run farther forward, too. The back of the arch is already posted. He ran it from the front of the arch and continued it to the ball of my foot and to my big toe a bit.

TS
AmyPJ

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Here are a bunch of options for your consideration:

This is awesome. He was pretty adamant I need a 92 last boot. I wish the 100 RS would work--it's at a local shop. 90 flex is too soft. He'd rather see me in a 120 that is softened :geek:

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Towards the front of the arch. After assessing my footbeds, I need more arch support and it needs to run farther forward, too. The back of the arch is already posted. He ran it from the front of the arch and continued it to the ball of my foot and to my big toe a bit.
:useless:

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
This is awesome. He was pretty adamant I need a 92 last boot. I wish the 100 RS would work--it's at a local shop. 90 flex is too soft. He'd rather see me in a 120 that is softened :geek:

120 is very stiff.....

Swiss Toni

Out on the slopes
Skier
Now, the hunt is on for a 22.5 (he said I could go to a 21.5, which are brutal small) 100-110 flex 92 last boot. Even with the ability to contact reps locally, I'm not having much luck.

You might struggle to find a 22.5 / 92mm last boot at this point in the season. If you can’t find one in the US and don’t want to wait until next season you will probably be able to get a pair from either Ornello Sport https://store.ornellosport.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=225 or Dada Sport https://www.dadasport.it/en/product/head-en-603600-2014 in Italy and have them sent to you either directly or via a parcel forwarder.

As you have heard there is an all new Head B3/B5 for next year, they are a bit more upright than the current models, the cuff is attached in a different place and the toe box is bigger.

Head_ B3_B5.jpg

Head_B3.jpg

Ornello Sport will be one of the first shops to get them when Head start producing them.

James

Out There
Instructor
^ Looks a lot like a Lange.
Hinge point lateral side looks pretty far aft though. Or could be the photo.

TS
AmyPJ

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Not pulling liners out again, sorry! The cords to my Hottronics are getting trashed.

@Swiss Toni, those are the ones! Interesting.
I'm SO hesitant to buy anything without trying it on. I just stuck my foot in a Redster Club Sport (96 last) in a 22.5, and it didn't fit at all. The length was good, but the stock liner left huge gaps, including the top of my foot.

Most of the manufacturers will be at WWSRA in two weeks, and since I'm fortunate enough to be there, I think I'll talk to the reps to see who is getting 2021 stuff yet and if I can try some on (I doubt any of them will bring 22.5s to the show.)

I did find a pair of Lange ZJ on ebay. So hesitant to order without trying...

HardDaysNight

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Surely the forward lean angle in the new Head models can’t be 8 or 9 degrees as @AmyPJ suggested in her report on her visit to Matt. For reference the current Head plug boots are about 16 degrees. Boots that upright would be pretty much unskiable (at least for decent skiers with normal range of ankle dorsiflexion).

TS
AmyPJ

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Surely the forward lean angle in the new Head models can’t be 8 or 9 degrees as @AmyPJ suggested in her report on her visit to Matt. For reference the current Head plug boots are about 16 degrees. Boots that upright would be pretty much unskiable (at least for decent skiers with normal range of ankle dorsiflexion).
He showed me the catalog--I kind of dropped my jaw! I'm really intrigued by them. They look to have a deep heel pocket and the hinge point looks similar to where my old Salomon XMax hinge point was. That was my favorite boot for balance.

HardDaysNight

Making fresh tracks
Skier
^^^Given that you have a lot of range in your ankle dorsiflexion a boot that upright is probably the last thing you need. Last thing most people need come to think of it.

TS
AmyPJ

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
@Noodler, thanks for all those links. That RS 100 is tempting because it's local and I can at least try it on.

Looking at pulling the trigger on some Rossi ZJs before they’re out of stock.

Sponsor

Staff online