• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Alex Zanardi in artificial coma after horrific handbike crash in Italy

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Excerpt:
(CNN)Ex-Formula One driver and four-time Paralympic gold medalist Alex Zanardi is in an artificial coma after suffering severe head injuries in a horrific cycling race crash.
The 53-year-old Zanardi, who had both his legs amputated after a motor racing accident almost 20 years ago, lost control of his handbike machine while competing in the 'Obiettivo tricolore' relay race in Tuscany, Italy on Friday.
According to multiple reports, he crossed the white line into the path of an oncoming track, which was unable to avoid him.

Full article:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Oh no!

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
According to multiple reports, he crossed the white line into the path of an oncoming track, which was unable to avoid him.
Assume they mean "truck."

Serious racing and vehicular traffic does not seem like a good mix.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I used to set my alarm to get up in the wee hours and watch F1 and CART racing. I remember, vividly, watching Zanardi's crash that took his legs. You knew immediately that his legs were not likely to make it.

This is a fun interview on Letterman. His comments about gratitiude and siezing opportunities that are presented to him are inspiring to say the least. This is 12 minutes that you won't regret.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Tagliani.. Poor guy. Has to live with that..
Any interview I've seen with Tagliana and Zanardi, Zanardi has shown an incredible amount of gratitude that he's alive and had done everything to put Alex Tagliana at ease that there is no blame.
If you watch that interview on Letterman you'll see a part about the doctor at the track who stopped him from bleeding out. He says he didn't sleep for 1 1/2 years, until he met up with Zanardi at a race track and was relieved at how much Zanardi inspires people and lives life with gusto.
Its a really good interview. Well worth watching the whole thing

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Great video. What a guy. Fingers crossed for the best for him!

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
A side note:
One of our friends, the Dalbello rep and Masterfit rep in our area is paralyzed from the waist down. He competed in the Rio Olympics and had a chance to spend time with Zanardi.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I mean, I would like to say I have his grit and determination but obviously I don't. He's the definition of a grit grinder. His outlook, his ability to be happy with what's been given him.. It's just amazing. Hero props.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sunday update summary paragraph:

"The current conditions of general stability still do not allow to exclude the possibility of adverse events and, therefore, the patient remains in a reserved prognosis."

Not great, not horrible. Fingers remain firmly crossed!

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
Does anyone know what his situation is? Improving? He's such an amazing character, I hope he is recovering, but I fear he is not.

scott43

Skier
He got hit head-on by a truck while out hand cycling. Severe facial injuries and head injury. I've been checking here and there and no seemingly great updates.

Mike Thomas

Whiteroom
Industry Insider
A quick Google search didn't sound very good... kind of sounds like serious brain damage? He has had some seriously bad luck with injuries.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Thats right, that was a while ago....

scott43

Skier
Yeah, back in the summer I think? Anyway, they said they moved him to a rehab centre/hospital closer to his home. But no mention of what his condition is like, which leads me to believe he's not actually awake fully or responding fully. He has paid a price man.. :( Courage by the bucketful...

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Does anyone know what his situation is? Improving? He's such an amazing character, I hope he is recovering, but I fear he is not.
When things go on radio silence it doesn't feel good.
:(

The last official IG post on AlexZenardiOfficial was June 2nd.

On May 29th this was the video.

Last edited:

scott43

Skier
Some people are handed shit sandwiches in life..and the way some bounce back is inspirational, you know? Frank Williams, Alex, Travis Roy..the Humboldt Broncos..Layne Matechuk. I'd love to think I'd have that amount of grit but..I really don't think so.

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
9/11 of course was terrible. I managed to hold it all together. IndyCar said we won't let the terrorist win and went ahead and had that race in Germany about 10 days later. That's when Alex lost his legs in the horrific crash. That's when I just couldn't take anymore and had to let all the emotion out. I should have known he was that strong and he'd race again and more.