• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

MrBurnz99

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Thanks! This is exactly what I was looking for.
I had a feeling Snow-Forecast was going to be the best but it was actually the last one that I found since SkiLouise and SkiBanff dont link there.

Doesn't really matter what the weather is because we'll be skiing either way but its helpful to plan the off day(s) and to decide which days to go to LL vs SSV.

albertanskigirl

aka Sabrina
Skier
Update on conditions at Lake Louise:

We skied yesterday with friends at Lake Louise, and it felt like an awesome spring skiing day. We were in a mixed group, so we were mostly on intermediate/low advanced terrain. The snow that was supposed to materialize this weekend did not fall - but this upcoming week looks much better. I'm hoping that the snow will fall because we really need a refresh.

Sunday was sunny and beautiful. Highs of maybe -7 or -8, lows of -15 in the morning. But it was really sunny so it felt really nice and warm for most of the day. The base is great everywhere, but pretty much everything has been more or less skied off. Groomers are heavily grooomed - in the morning, they were pretty icy and hard. I've never been one for corduroy so those were the worst conditions of the day for me. By about 10.30 or 11 however, once the sun had been on the slopes for a bit, the groomers softened up quite nicely - and were soft through the whole day. Not slushy, just creamy. Best choice for a groomer yesterday: Meadowlark - it was creamy, nice and not icy because there was literally no one skiing it. Our group saw no one else the whole way down - impressive considering that it was reasonably busy yesterday.

With the warmer temps last week, there's been a bit of a melt-refreeze situation, and the off-piste has suffered a bit. What looks like expanses of soft chop on the upper mountain was defintely not. I would describe it more as hard and lumpy snow. Everything is definitely bumped up - but hey, I've been working on my bumps so it was all good for me :) softest bumps were definitely on the backside, hard icy and massive bumps on the front side. Paradise was pretty icy though. We found a tiny bit of untracked off of outer limits and on upper meadowlark - it was ok in the shade, but definitely crusty in the sun. My choice of ungroomed yesterday: Kiddie's Corner and Split rock were really soft and bumpy and fun. Snow quality was great. We didn't ski off of the backside of the platter yesterday because some in the group didn't want to, and we were more focused on hanging out, so I can't say how conditions were there.

All in all a great beautiful sunny day that ended with drinks on the Kokanee Cabin patio :daffy::beercheer::yahoo:

TS
Mike Rogers

Mike Rogers

Out on the slopes
Skier
Thanks for the update, Sabrina!

I made a last minute decision to skip Louise this weekend to follow some snow down at Castle. It was a good choice.

The locals we met at the hill said that Friday had been one of the worst days of the year at Castle. It was full on crust, sometimes breakable. Yuk!

Saturday was another story. Castle received 20 cm of new (mid mountian), and it felt like so much more...especially in leeward areas. It was a full on powder day...and nobody came out! We got the rope drop on Gambler... with only the patroller to share the line.

We were one of the first down Desperado, and 3rd and 4th down one of our lines in the Far Chutes. Incredible skiing until the Red closed at 2;30 or so due to wind. We ended the day with some mellow laps in the trees of Haig.

Excellent day.

Watch the forecasts...there are still some deep days left!

I am in the powder cloud just left of center
mikepowcastle.jpg

Liz
liz pow castle.jpg

Aftermath
lizpowcastle2.jpg

Sunday was supposed to be a clear sky day. Spring is ski-mountaineering season. We skied Cathedral Mountain in Yoho National Park. It was pretty spectacular, even if the weather didn't corporate.

Will and Liz carefully ski off the summit. It was pretty exposed with significant cliffs out of frame.
cathedral.jpg

Some perspective on the summit. A sidewalk in the sky!
cathedral 2.jpg
Ski quality was so-so, but it's tough to beat a 1900 meter run to the car!

Last edited:

blah

Getting on the lift
Skier
Back in the Canadian Rockies for 1 week. I've definitely missed this place. The tentative plan is for one big loop: Sunshine - Louise - Kicking Horse - Fernie - Castle. First up today is Sunshine. I'd almost forgotten how nice the dry, soft snow is here at Banff. Overcast skies and snow flurries during the morning did their part to keep the snow soft everywhere.
20180328_122859_005.jpg

Great view of Goat's Eye from the Shoulder. And with chopped up pow up top, transitioning to soft crud below, the skiing down the Shoulder wasn't too shabby either!
20180328_125157.png

Many laps of the south side chutes were in store for me today. The snow was softer the more you traversed out to the boundary. Super fun terrain, and with the cloudy skies and cold temps, the sun never cooked the snow in the chutes throughout the day. Even the runout through Eagle Creek was soft and edgeable. Man, there's a lot of snow here compared to some of the places I've skied this season!
On the bootpack off the top of the Goat's Eye lift. Sometimes it's good to suffer a bit to earn the turns.
20180328_135009.png

Ended the day with groomer laps on Lookout Mtn. Never get tired of these views:
20180328_153745.png

blah

Getting on the lift
Skier
At Lake Louise today! I wasn't super motivated to make first chair on a non-pow day, so slept in (ah, so nice) and got a late start... Which I was almost kicking myself for, as I drove by all the cars parked along the side of the road for about a quarter mile before the entrance to the resort. But I totally lucked out and found an empty spot in lot 2 just opposite the Guides Cabin. Literally, just steps away from the main lodges. Yup, with serendipity like this, today was already shaping up to be a good day.

Rode up the Glacier chair and got in a warm-up lap on the front side groomers. I wouldn't call it soft snow, but definitely edgeable and not scraped off. Next time up, rode Top of the World, took the obligatory picture, and then dropped into the back bowls. Wouldn't emerge again until the last chair of the day.
20180329_124831.jpg

I was going to take it easy for the 1st couple of runs on the backside, maybe get the legs working first on the groomed runs. Well, that plan went out the window; Whitehorn 1 was just too tempting. 2 days after the last storm, and still filled with soft snow. Love it.
20180329_123101.jpg

The rest of the day was spent lapping the Summit platter. Whitehorn remained soft throughout the day. D and E gullies were a little crunchy and hard. Boundary Bowl had the best snow. I was able to find fresh pow lines right up beside the boundary rope.
20180329_132448.jpg
It was so good in Boundary Bowl, that I made it out there twice. I was going for the hat trick, but came up 10 minutes too late to squeeze in before the 3:30pm closing time. The slow Paradise chair ruined that last fast lap. :rolleyes:

Looking back over the day, I would say this was my first time at Louise where the sun was out, the lighting was good throughout the entire afternoon, and gale force winds weren't blowing at the top of the summit. All in all, a pretty darn good day.

Stev

Orange Mocha Frappuccino
Skier
I'll be flying into Spokane tomorrow (March 31st) and picking up a rental SUV for a week long Powder Alliance/Mountain Collective sampler road trip. I'll be driving/skiing my way north (Schweitzer, Whitewater, SilverStar, Revelstoke) before I spend three days in Banff for the Big3 (Lake Louise, Sunshine Village, Mt. Norquay) April 5th-7th. I'm looking forward to exploring new areas. I have only skied one day at Sunshine Village many years ago. All of the others will be new to me.

kitchener

Still At Large
Skier
I'll be flying into Spokane tomorrow (March 31st) and picking up a rental SUV for a week long Powder Alliance/Mountain Collective sampler road trip. I'll be driving/skiing my way north (Schweitzer, Whitewater, SilverStar, Revelstoke) before I spend three days in Banff for the Big3 (Lake Louise, Sunshine Village, Mt. Norquay) April 5th-7th. I'm looking forward to exploring new areas. I have only skied one day at Sunshine Village many years ago. All of the others will be new to me.

Looking forward to the after-action report. Be interesting to hear which was the cream that rises to the surface when all is said and done.

blah

Getting on the lift
Skier
The journey continues... At Kicking Horse for the past 2 days. Met up with @Mike Rogers, Liz, and their friends Will and Heather on Friday for a shallow pow day. The powder was very good in all the north facing chutes. After a warmup run dropping into a north-facing chute off of CPR ridge, we proceeded to hike T1...
20180330_110848.png

...followed by a hike up T2. The views at the summit of T2 couldn't be beaten:
20180330_123928_002.jpg

Even better were the fresh powder lines awaiting us off the summit:
20180330_124233_008.jpg

Mixed in during the day were several chute runs off of CPR and Redemption ridges. Then the final hike of the day was up the stairway to heaven to drop in one of the chutes off of Whitewall. We finished off our legs for the afternoon on a long bump run down the lower mountain, capped off with drinks at the brewery in Golden. I made it back to my motel room and after a long, hot shower was generally prone in bed for the rest of the day and night.

After the big day on Friday, Saturday was a much more mellow one for me at Kicking Horse, while @Mike Rogers and Liz returned to Banff to set off on one of their backcountry missions. 1cm of fresh snow fell overnight between Fri and Sat, so the snow was still nice and soft on Sat. At the top of the stairway to heaven -- views of T1 and T2 peaks and the Kicking Horse river:
20180331_141119_003.jpg

An easy cornice drop into Whitewall yielded some nice powdery turns in the shade. Looking back up, one can see the entirety of Feuz Bowl and Whitewall:
20180331_141655.png

Very cool how every single drop-in is a chute. Definitely some of the best terrain that I've skied this season is here. Finally, descending Super Bowl between T1 and T2 ridges for the last run of the day yielded a nice view of Golden:
20180331_154127.jpg

Beautiful location, but I'm not so sure about the gas station/sushi restaurant/pot dispensary combo in town, though. ;)
20180331_162749_001.jpg

blah

Getting on the lift
Skier
Powder chasing makes people do some funny things. Departed Golden and Kicking Horse on Sunday, heading south. You'd think the logical next stopping point would be Fernie, but I ended up at Pincher Creek instead Sunday night with the intention to hit Castle Mountain on Mon 4/2. Forecasts called for 20cm of overnight snow, and reality did not disappoint. I woke up Mon morning to snow falling and 21cm of reported fresh at Castle.

Red chair was closed in the early morning for patrol to finish off avy work. So I lapped the Blue chair while waiting for loading to commence on Red. The lift line under the Blue chair got tracked out within minutes, but strangely hardly anybody was going into the trees on either side of the lift line. Good for me. I was able to score pristine powder turns on all 3 laps off of Blue while waiting for the Red chair.
20180402_093914_008.jpg

Finally, accessing the upper mountain off of Red, I noticed the pow was definitely not of the blower variety. Pretty dense, and a little sticky in some parts. I would say "disappointing", but really, I've just been spoiled in terms of conditions over this past week.

Skier's right off of Red chair, the upper mountain was very wind-affected, so Huckleberry Bowl, High Plains, and upper Drifter were shockingly bad considering the amount of new snow that had fallen. Hard and crusty with 2 - 3 ft drops between ridges built up by the wind, I couldn't get out of there fast enough. Luckily, once you got down into the lower half of Drifter where bordering ridges provided shelter against the wind, the snow became chalky and then deep and powdery once again.
20180402_111455_001.jpg

A little after noon, patrol opened up the chutes accessed by the 1st gate. Desperado is below:
20180402_135332.jpg

There's so much snow at Castle at this point that the Chutes really look like one big face with tons of options to pick a line down. Everyone was sticking to the middle of the chutes, which happily left the sides and ridges fresh for me even into the afternoon:
20180402_143340_004.jpg

The snow had tapered off by this time in the afternoon, so views were starting to open up. Haig Mountain from the Cinch Traverse:
20180402_150910.jpg

Finally finished off the day with some laps in the gladed runs along North Bowl:
20180402_153620.jpg

Fernie on Tues...

blah

Getting on the lift
Skier
Fernie!
20180403_134022_006.jpg

A sneaky, surprise pow day on Tues 4/3. Nothing was forecasted, but a cloud parked itself on top of the hill, and from when I woke up to sun down, it snowed all day long. Looking at the accumulation on the groomers in the afternoon, I would hazard an estimate of 5cm of fresh during the day, but somehow with the combination of the 17cm accumulated from the previous 24 - 48 hours and perhaps some wind sift, we were treated consistently to blower pow, shin to knee deep, in all the north facing chutes, bowls, and trees. Wow! Light, fluffy, and soft, and with your own slough chasing you down each line, it was almost like living in a movie. And to top it all off, hardly anybody was on the hill because it was a weekday. Yes, please, more of this!

In addition, today was a special treat for me, as I had been in contact with Bill Handley, an everyday regular on the hill, long-time local, and author of Bill's Blog, a no-BS and oftentimes entertaining window into the daily snow conditions on the hill and antics of the regulars at Fernie. I had arranged to meet up with Bill and his wife Lynda at the base at 9am and go for a couple of runs together. Well, that turned into an entire day, from first chair to last chair, dropping chutes, trees, steeps, bumps, and all the best that Fernie has to offer. Bill's latest blog entry describes best our day http://www.billhandley.com/2018/04/day-123-hot-dog-eve-another-good-powder.html, and I'll provide context with some pictures.

Currie Bowl, as seen from the Reverse Traverse:
20180403_105131_002.jpg

Stag Leap:
20180403_105627_003.jpg

Lone Fir chute:
20180403_121310_002.jpg

Anaconda 2:
20180403_144028.jpg

The Saddles and Lizard Bowl:
20180403_152131.jpg

And that's it for me on this week-long loop through the Rockies and Kootenays. And perhaps for the season, as well. It's always good to end with a bang. Especially when that high note includes a celebratory dinner back in Calgary that night at my favorite Shawarma hole-in-the-wall. Can't wait to get back next winter!
20180403_230805.jpg

TS
Mike Rogers

Mike Rogers

Out on the slopes
Skier
Great trip reports, Shawn, I need to check out that Shwarma place some time ;)

It was nice to ski with you on Friday. I'm sorry we weren't able to ski more days, but it looks like your revised plan to hit Fernie and Castle late in the trip really paid off!

When visiting the Calgary area, it's good to remember that the weather systems at Kicking Horse, Sunshine and Lake Louise can be very different from the weather in the south (Fernie and Castle). A little bit of flexibility, which is easy during shoulder season can go a long way in finding the best snow.

As Shawn indicated, Liz and I (with some friends) skied in the back-country the rest of the weekend. We're out of free days at RCR resorts, so budget constraints (got to pay for a new pass soon) are keeping us closer to Banff over these next few months.

We had a couple of good adventures. I'll share some photos for the scenery.

Fist up: we ascended Mount Hector via it's North Glacier. We had boot-top snow above a hard surface. Roped up for the ascent, and skied down off rope. This is one of the 11-thousanders in the Canadian Rockies, and with blue skies, the views were incredible.

Mount Hector is close to the Lake Louise Ski Resort. You can see it throughout the resort, but it is very prominent in the skyline along the traverse to Whitehorn II/Boomerang -Brownshirt

It's the big one in the center. We went up the opposite side

hector one.jpg

The uptrack on the glacier
hector up better.jpg
Summit Views
hector summit.jpg
More Summit views
hector summit 2.jpg

Coming down. It was a "busy" day!
hector down.jpg

I spent Easter Sunday with the family, but went out again on Monday. I skied Burstall Pass peak, a minor (and unofficial) summit in Kananaskis Country, close to Canmore. This one was mostly about the ascent, with long flats to cross and rough snow in the Alpine (trees were nice, but didn't last long). Still, the scenery was amazing. The natural beauty of the Canadian Rockies makes up for modest snow totals!

Come visit!

A fair bit of boot-packing on this one
bustall 1.jpg
Mount Sir Douglass (another 11 thousander) is in the background
burstall 2.jpg

Up, up
burstall 3.jpg
The descent was quick at least!
burstall 4.jpg

Attachments

• hector one.jpg
    hector one.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 0
TS
Mike Rogers

Mike Rogers

Out on the slopes
Skier
Despite a huge snow pack and cold temps, the lift-serviced ski season is winding down.

The projected closing dates for resorts in this region are as follows:

April 8: Castle, Panorama, Kimberly
April 15: Fernie, Kicking Horse, Revelstoke, Norquay, Nakiska
May 6: Lake Louise, Jasper Marmot Basin
May 21: Sunshine

*Note that some resorts ) will have bonus weekends beyond the regular close. Nakiska has already scheduled bonus days for April 21 & 22, and 28&29.

Last edited:

Pumba

Out on the slopes
Skier
Great trip reports, Shawn, I need to check out that Shwarma place some time ;)

It was nice to ski with you on Friday. I'm sorry we weren't able to ski more days, but it looks like your revised plan to hit Fernie and Castle late in the trip really paid off!

When visiting the Calgary area, it's good to remember that the weather systems at Kicking Horse, Sunshine and Lake Louise can be very different from the weather in the south (Fernie and Castle). A little bit of flexibility, which is easy during shoulder season can go a long way in finding the best snow.

As Shawn indicated, Liz and I (with some friends) skied in the back-country the rest of the weekend. We're out of free days at RCR resorts, so budget constraints (got to pay for a new pass soon) are keeping us closer to Banff over these next few months.

We had a couple of good adventures. I'll share some photos for the scenery.

Fist up: we ascended Mount Hector via it's North Glacier. We had boot-top snow above a hard surface. Roped up for the ascent, and skied down off rope. This is one of the 11-thousanders in the Canadian Rockies, and with blue skies, the views were incredible.

Mount Hector is close to the Lake Louise Ski Resort. You can see it throughout the resort, but it is very prominent in the skyline along the traverse to Whitehorn II/Boomerang -Brownshirt

It's the big one in the center. We went up the opposite side

View attachment 43399

The uptrack on the glacier
View attachment 43401
Summit Views
View attachment 43403
More Summit views
View attachment 43402

Coming down. It was a "busy" day!
View attachment 43400

I spent Easter Sunday with the family, but went out again on Monday. I skied Burstall Pass peak, a minor (and unofficial) summit in Kananaskis Country, close to Canmore. This one was mostly about the ascent, with long flats to cross and rough snow in the Alpine (trees were nice, but didn't last long). Still, the scenery was amazing. The natural beauty of the Canadian Rockies makes up for modest snow totals!

Come visit!

A fair bit of boot-packing on this one
View attachment 43408
Mount Sir Douglass (another 11 thousander) is in the background
View attachment 43407

Up, up
View attachment 43406
The descent was quick at least!
View attachment 43405

I still can't believe that you just use your phone for your pics. Amazing shots!

TS
Mike Rogers

Mike Rogers

Out on the slopes
Skier
While temperatures are still below seasonal averages (and forecast to remain below seasonal averages for the foreseeable future), spring has finally sprung in this part of the world. No more -20 degree wake-ups, and the temps in the valley are soaring to mid single digits. It's comfortable to have a beer on the patio again!

Sub-zero temps a the top mean that Polar aspects are still in mid-winter conditions, but the strong April sun has brought some melt freeze on the Solar aspects...in all elevations.

Ski conditions are probably closer to typical mid-March than almost mid-April, and snow coverage is very, very good.

If you are a fan of early spring skiing, and you don't mid following the sun throughout the day, I would say conditions are excellent. If you have your heart set on skiing south faces early in the morning, it might be a bit rough....

I skied the Lake Louise area both days this weekend. We did some lift supported backcountry on Saturday, skiing 4 of Lake Louise's classic sidecountry stashes, with a few inbounds runs thrown in the mix.

First up was the Purple Bowl. The Purple Bowl is most commonly accessed via the bootpack to the Elevator Shaft run, above the Larch Chair. As Elevator Shaft is in bounds, the boot-pack is frequently traveled, and in pretty good shape. To access Purple Bowl, hike to the top of Elevator Shaft, duck the boundry rope and continue on to the summit ridge of Lapalian Mountain. Purple Bowl is the bowl between Lapailian and a subsidaiary peak, "Purlpe Mound" located northeast or Lapalian Proper. The Purple Bowl drops to the North side.

This area is uncontrolled, and steep enough to slide. While it is a popular slack-country destination, it is back-country terrain, not simply an extension of the resort.

We were in a bit of a cloud, but found some really nice, silky snow!

Finishing the hike
weekend1.jpg
Skiing down
weekend 2.jpg

Next up, we skinned back up Purple Bowl and connected to Wolverine Ridge. This is the ridge directly across from Larch runs like Rock Garden and Lynx. During periods of good stability, you can skin directly up the south face of Worlverine Ridge from the bottom of Purple, but the sun was strong on Sunday so we decided to play it safe and take the long way.

We found good snow in the Northeast face of Wolverine, but decided to move on with our lift serviced tour.

After a break at Temple Lodge, we skied to the Summit and exited the resort on the West Boundary of the Outer Limits run. This brought us to a popular slackcountry area called the West Bowl. The West Bowl had received a lot of sun that day, so we carefully traversed above the bowl and made our way around a shoulder to the North Facing Pipesone Bowl, which again held light dry powder.

weekend 3.jpg

After Pipestone we carefully returned to the resort via West Bowl, avoiding some of the interesting terrain at tree lines (cliffs and couliors) due as the snow was getting a bit wet. This wasn't the most interesting part of the day, but still made for a satisfying conclusion.

Map of the terrain.

LL map.PNG

On Sunday, we skied inbounds all day. The resort reported 5cm of fresh overnight, but it skied like more. Again, polar aspects were best in the morning with ER6, Swedes and Whitehorn 2 holding the best snow. By late afternoon, the solar aspects softened up, and we enjoyed some really fun soft bumps, Exhibition, under the Ptarmigan chair was a highlight.

Lots of good skiing left. I think we are about a month behind our normal spring schedule!

BlueSquare

Booting up
Skier
Though my ski adventures through Banff aren't anywhere close to being as epic as Mike Rogers, I finally got around to posting a family trip report on that particular forum.

And for all of you going to the Western Canada Gathering next week, I wish you all terrific weather and loads of fun! Such a wonderful place.

TS
Mike Rogers

Mike Rogers

Out on the slopes
Skier
Skied Lake Louise on Saturday and Sunday this week.

I think Saturday might have been the last day of winter, and Sunday the first day of spring. We had a pretty good storm all day on Saturday. High winds and descent snow (about 6 inches total)...all of light, mid-winder quality. Visibility was almost non-existant in the backside, climbers right of Paradise. I literally had to probe with my pole in front of my skis to find the edge of "Vertical Cornice". Snow, snow, air...time to jump! Paradise Bowl and ER3 were much better.

Sunday was one of the better days of the year. Sunshine and fresh snow. Lots of blown in snow on the ERs. ER 7 was the best of the day, but ER 3 was a close second. Total spring on the front-side, but at least the snow-pack is changing to granular at the end of the day instead of the elephant snot we found last week (finally some clear skies at night!). Smooth sailing all the way to the base.

The gathering folks missed the views last week... but you could see clearly yesterday.

Saturday Snow!

snow.jpg

Sunday Sun
liz west.jpg

The Lake
west.jpg

Last edited:
TS
Mike Rogers

Mike Rogers

Out on the slopes
Skier
Now that Spring has sprung, things are going to get really warm.

At lake Louise, The forecasted high temps range from 12 to 2 for the rest of the season, with overnight lows in the valley at +3 to -4. Obviously, things will be cooler at top, but come Thursday, we should see temps above freezing at the top of the mountains. I'm hoping north faces stay wintry, but this temperature swing will impact surface conditions.

On the plus side, the base is really strong, with almost 260cm in the back bowls. For context, Lake Louise skis best when the base is above 180cm. The season snowfall is at 167% of average for the year.

Louise will have no trouble making the scheduled closing date of May 6.

So...two more weeks of Louise and Jasper.
Nakiska is closed midweek, but will open for the last time this season next weekend.
Sunshine has 4 weeks left.

Other resorts are closed.

Last 4 weekends of lift serviced skiing.

It's been a great year. Castle, Fernie and Kicking Horse all hit the 10m mark for total snowfall.

Sunshine is currently 135cm away from this mark. It would be nice if a 4th hill joined the 10 meter club!