• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Air B and B

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Has Air B and B gotten into any of the ski towns? If so did any of our members use it?

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Yes and yes.

Its a hugely contentious issue in many ski towns as it often converts spots that were historically long term rentals (for say, resort employees/seasonal workers etc) into short term rentals for tourists. May be good for tourists, but can hurt very constrained housing supply for people not making much $$$.

I've had good experiences with it. I try to book things that were already meant for tourists and not long-term rentals. Most places in ski towns on there aren't people running bnbs or making a few bucks, but big owners/corps using airbnb to manage rental properties.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Just to be clear, it is individuals that are renting their places. They choose to use AirBnB or VRBO to help with the payments. Make sure you look at the comment reviews for places you are using.

I rented through AirBnB last year for a place 15 miles away from Bridger. The guy was excellent and the price was insanely good. $1000/week for 11 of us in a home that was great. We even got to ski down the area's valley for fun.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I'll use it if that is the best location for what we are looking for. But, for a ski house I prefer something that's routinely inspected with regard to electrical and plumbing infrastructure rather than Joe Blow's 2nd house that may or may not blow fuses when I plug in a waxing iron or boot dryer.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Just to be clear, it is individuals that are renting their places. ....

This isn't always true. In many ski towns, rental companies use AirBnB to rent many of their units along with many other outlets (like VRBO). Sometimes its companies renting them, sometimes individuals. Just depends.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I've used it a couple of times in the US and will use it in Santiago Chile in a couple of weeks. At first the idea of using it in a foreign country made me hesitate but I am lucky to have numerous friends in Santiago to help me if something goes wrong and I'm familiar with the area it's in because it is 2 doors down from the apartment building I lived in 25 years ago. I always read the reviews carefully before renting.

SkiNurse

Spontaneous Christy
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Never heard of Turo, but have used both VRBO & AirBnB for traveling to ski towns. Last season, I had found a place for a trip to Taos on VRBO, but @SBrown found the same place/same owner for a lot less on AirBnB. Why the difference? Who knows, but it pays to check both sites.

SkiNurse

Spontaneous Christy
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I've used it a couple of times in the US and will use it in Santiago Chile in a couple of weeks. At first the idea of using it in a foreign country made me hesitate but I am lucky to have numerous friends in Santiago to help me if something goes wrong and I'm familiar with the area it's in because it is 2 doors down from the apartment building I lived in 25 years ago. I always read the reviews carefully before renting.
I have friends that use AirBnB whenever they travel to Europe...which is at least once a year. One trip, it was for a bedroom in a Swiss Chalet for a ski trip. When they showed up, the owner said he was leaving town on business and they had full access to the chalet, including his staff, while he was gone. Now that doesn't suck.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
My neighbours at Tremblant use AirBnB for their rentals. Also if you're looking at some of the Canadian spots - Allura Direct is similar to VRBO. And there is also Chalet Select.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
We have used Air B&B, VBRO and most recently Home Away. Also rented a timeshare at Snowbird off of Craigslist, but I checked with the property to make sure owner was legit. All worked out fine. Never heard of Turo.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
We pretty much use the three main platforms whenever we travel to vacation these days. Most of our friends do the same, all over the world. Nothing but good experiences.

The owners and/or property managers take this seriously. Ratings and reviews are essential for them to "win" at this. This thought that these are run down, etc. these days is a real rarity. Every single time we have rented, our expectations have been exceeded.

As customer it works. I have a niece in a senor role at one of the platforms. They are not going away. Big business.

At the same time we have two adult children with very good jobs living in mountain towns, and no doubt the three platforms have had a very negative impact on the availability of long term rentals. That's the downside. That segment is really getting squeezed.

Been discussed over, and over.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
done the VRBO and indirectly the Home and Away is it was linked within the VRBO description.

I looked at Air B and B for a few ski towns but in checking, a large share was a property management co. I don't mind but I'd just assume go direct.

For VRBO, have good experiences but I normally will check with the county or city assessors offices on who the owner is, etc to see if things jive. however since most sites let you pay them with assurances, worry a bit less these days if booking. Overall I've noted for places I've booked, the owner isn't trying to fill it 100% of time, seems more so just offsetting cost of second home. Rentals I've made from a property agency seem to be units the owner only visits once or twice a year so they're using property management to fill as many days possible.

VickieH

Contrarian
Skier
I used AirBnB and stayed at a home in Huntsville, Utah. I was basically renting a bedroom and separate bathroom in the owner's home and had use of the common areas. She and I got to know each other over breakfast and sitting in the Think Tank and playing with her dogs. After a couple of days, one of the dogs began guarding me at night until he saw me safely in bed. Only then would he go to bed.

So my experience was much more like a roommate situation than a VRBO rental. And when I left, it was like leaving a friend.

Posaune

sliding
Skier
We're staying at an AirBnB in Whistler Creekside for this season't Gathering. Much less expensive than other similar properties.

Sponsor

Staff online