• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Agility work with dogs

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Several things have come to light since Gypsy has become a part of our home.
One thing is the incredible intelligence and demand for exercise, which is great to keep us going.
@DSloan suggested that we do some agility training with her, which isn't out of the question. It could be a good workout for her and for us.
Anyone here have experience with it?
Maybe I'm going down the wrong agility tunnel, but I think this could be fun for her and us.
Bonus, we hav most everything we need to create most of these exercises, with the exception of the tunnel, without investing $$.

Its interesting that this guy is that he doesn't use treats as a reward. Gypsy is the first dog I've ever had in my life that doesn't respond to treats as a reward. This could be fun with her.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Set up an obstacle course through the house to end up at the fridge. Then train her to fetch a beer!
For my purposes, I'd have to train her to work the ice maker and pour a :rocks:

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Oh, and the reason Dsloan suggested agility was this video which I posted on FB.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I’ve done agility classes with Sadie, she took to it well, she is very treat and praise motivated, is a pretty high energy dog, and had absolutely no fear of of any of the apparatus. It takes a while to train them to work through a course. Correction, it takes a long time to train the trainer how to communicate effectively with the dog and provide clear cues. Weaving through the poles takes the longest time to learn.

What agility does really well is strengthen the connection between owner and dog.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
There were others featuring him, too. I think there’s one where he actually grabs one of the jumps like it's a big stick and runs off with it.

VickieH

Contrarian
Skier
This one ...

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
We have a Jack Russell, she has trained herself to access the table if food has been left out and no ones watching. All I can say is glad she’s tiny hate to think what she’d be accessing if she was bigger.

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
This one ...

That's the one!

"That's definitely against the rules", lol!

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Andy Mink tagged me in this on FB yesterday.
Crazy cool

Sponsor

Staff online