• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Aft on a 2019 Brahma

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
I had an unexpected experience last April with rental skis and wonder why. I rented 2019 Brahmas and felt aft. I clicked into I think 173's and felt so much on its tails that I went in to exchange them, for 180's, before even taking the first ride up. It was better, but throughout the day, I had trouble staying centered. Interestingly, I own the 2017 Brahma's, 180, and feel very centered. The second and last day, I took out 173, I think, Quattro 8.4 Ti's and immediately felt centered. Why might I have had that experience with the rental Brahmas? They had demo bindings whose toe and heel pieces adjust to keep any boot centered

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I had an unexpected experience last April with rental skis and wonder why. I rented 2019 Brahmas and felt aft. I clicked into I think 173's and felt so much on its tails that I went in to exchange them, for 180's, before even taking the first ride up. It was better, but throughout the day, I had trouble staying centered. Interestingly, I own the 2017 Brahma's, 180, and feel very centered. The second and last day, I took out 173, I think, Quattro 8.4 Ti's and immediately felt centered. Why might I have had that experience with the rental Brahmas? They had demo bindings whose toe and heel pieces adjust to keep any boot centered
If they had Marker Griffon demo bindings on them, you were probably feeling the ramp, or lack thereof on that particular binding.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
most likely feeling the ramp angle of the binding. What binding on your own brahmas and what binding on the demos?

TS
karlo

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
you were probably feeling the ramp

What binding on your own brahmas and what binding on the demos?

What is ramp, and how does one adjust ramp? (Edit. I looked it up. So, a boot can also affect ramp angle? Plates? Heel lifts?)

I have Marker Griffons on mine. I don’t know what were on the demo Brahma’s. The Quattro’s has a system binding.

Last edited:

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
Ramp is the level of incline between the rear and front binding. You can only adjust by either adjusting the sole thickness of the boot or putting shims under the binding.

With out knowing what the bindings are the demos though its basically impossible to know this answer. If you have griffons on yours and the quattros with system binding i would venture a guess that the demo was something like a NX that has a much higher heel. The higher heels put your to far forward and you move back to compensate.

TS
karlo

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive

I searched it. That’s a Look binding?

Why would a shop give customers a higher ramp angle on their demo skis, rather than something more “conservative”? I would have thought that they would want to minimize the chances that their customer feel aft.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
What is ramp, and how does one adjust ramp? (Edit. I looked it up. So, a boot can also affect ramp angle? Plates? Heel lifts?)

I have Marker Griffons on mine. I don’t know what were on the demo Brahma’s. The Quattro’s has a system binding.
Most( not all) Blizzard demos that are flat mount skis, have Marker Griffon demo bindings. The Griffon from a few years ago(both consumer and demo) has different ramp than the 2019 version, which has a negative ramp. Same name on the binding but different ramp.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Most( not all) Blizzard demos that are flat mount skis, have Marker Griffon demo bindings. The Griffon from a few years ago(both consumer and demo) has different ramp than the 2019 version, which has a negative ramp. Same name on the binding but different ramp.

It is frustrating how much ramp varies and how little publicized it is. Changing the ramp on the "same" bindings is pretty outrageous.

We tend to say around here that when you demo skis you are also (mostly?) demoing the tune. Looks like you are also demoing the ramp angle....

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
It is frustrating how much ramp varies and how little publicized it is. Changing the ramp on the "same" bindings is pretty outrageous.

We tend to say around here that when you demo skis you are also (mostly?) demoing the tune. Looks like you are also demoing the ramp angle....
This is true.
@Philpug and I have had quite the extensive conversation about such things.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Actually delta, not ramp but yes. Lets not also forget height.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

James

Out There
Instructor
With the same binding, different size boots.
Delta remains the same. Ramp angle changes.
Or does the ski industry maintain something else?

TS
karlo

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
should have said delta

Now I’m thoroughly confused. But, no matter. This is the first time I’ve experienced this in my life. So, I guess having a problem is very rare

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
With the same binding, different size boots.
Delta remains the same. Ramp angle changes.
Or does the ski industry maintain something else?
If I understand it, the delta is inherent in the construction of the binding. The resulting ramp depends on how far apart the heel and toe pieces are, in other words the boot size. But for the same skier in the same boots, ramp and delta amount to the same thing. And ramp is what you feel; delta is what causes it.

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
I think I am understanding it similar to @mdf and @James

Delta is fixed based on the specific binding. The Delta is simply the difference (if any) between the height of the toe and heel piece contact point for the sole. The ramp is the angle created between the toe and heel piece depending on the distance between the 2 parts. A longer BSL theoretically will have less ramp angle than a shorter BSL given the same delta.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Now I’m thoroughly confused. But, no matter. This is the first time I’ve experienced this in my life. So, I guess having a problem is very rare
Ramp is the angle from your heel to your toe in a boot.
Delta is the angle from your heel to your toe in a binding.

IMHO we've grown accustomed to having a little delta in a binding, meaning that your heel is slightly higher than your toe.
The new Griffon has a negative delta, which means that the heel is slightly lower than the toe.
There is more information here.
Ramp, Delta, and Ski Boot / Ski Binding Setup | Pugski - Ski talk ...https://www.pugski.com › threads › ramp-delta-and-boot-binding-setup

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Either way it's annoying. For someone like me, who has to use heel lifts in my boots due to bone restricted ankles, binding delta can be a huge pita. I wish binding companies would state the delta angle in their specs. I have researched and researched and not been able to find the info anywhere.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Either way it's annoying. For someone like me, who has to use heel lifts in my boots due to bone restricted ankles, binding delta can be a huge pita. I wish binding companies would state the delta angle in their specs. I have researched and researched and not been able to find the info anywhere.
That's why you're here :D

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier

The manufacturer can provide stack height as that is fixed. Delta as defined is the incremental difference between x & y. So it we subtract the stack height of the toe and stack height of the heel (or vise versa) we can determine the delta. But they cannot tell you the angle as depending on the BSL the angle will change slightly.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid