• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
A common question that people new to skiing or people just getting back into skiing ask is, "What's your cheapest...?" Quite often an informative salesperson can assist the skier in finding the best bang for the buck, without actually being the cheapest.

Goggles: Smith has the Scope and Transit goggles for $40, which are the most basic lens and 'okay' frame, while the Squad and Riot both come with two double lenses in a big variety of frame and strap colors for $80 and $70, respectively. (Both the Riot and Squad are offered for $20 more with Chromapop.)

Gloves: Swany has amazing mittens and gloves in the $110-$200 price range that are very technical, but they also offer some at $70. I have the Legend II Touch Screen Mitt, which retails for $115, but there is also the Arctic Touch Screen Mitt for $75, which is nearly the same at a $40 savings.

There are the new skiers who want the absolute cheapest goggle and glove, who will buy the Scope ($40) and the Dakine Scout ($45), but that's not necessarily who we're talking about here. Help us make a guide of "Best Bang for Your Buck" items for the new or returning skier who wants something affordable but still very good. Yes, I know you can go to ski swaps or wait for sales, but this is for the new skier who needs to buy today so he or she can ski tomorrow.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
For Euros no need to go beyond Decathlon own brand gear - designed in the Alps within spitting distance of the Dynastar factory. Own brand skis will be standard rental fodder but everything else is decent quality at a very good price - Not Norrona/Bergans quality but easily North Face quality. I recently bought some spare hi yellow goggles for under $13 equivalent inc tax.

Don't know if they ever have plans to penetrate N America where big box sports stores don't have the greatest track record but the best way I have of describing them is IKEA for sports - very good value bikes, outdoor, raquet, watersports kit etc.

BGreen

Out on the slopes
Skier
Best cheap gloves: Kinco, about $13-20 on Amazon. 901 for a leather glove, 901T for a leather mitten, 1972k for breathable fabric/leather. I use 901T and 1972k. The gloves are pretty true to size, the mittens run big. May or may not be waterproofed. Don't use Snowseal. Too much beeswax and they don't bend. There's a reason why they are an industry standard. If you only ski a few days a year, in which case you will never break in the Kincos, Head gloves from Costco -- really, really nice, super warm, fabric.
Helmet: Bolle from Costco, $40
Goggles: Bolle from Costco, $40
Base layers: Costco wool.
Outerwear: Columbia. Costco has deals or shop your local early season sales. My daddy found me two pairs of generic ski pants for $10. Not breathable, but warm and durable for the price. Some minor modifications with a sewing machine and they work ok.
Boots: not the place to cheap out.
Skis: About this time of year, you should be able to find some good cosmetic seconds in the system. Easier to score if you aren't set on a specific brand/model/size. Some of the ebay vendors are good. Skiyard.com is one.
Poles: Grasssticks.com because boo is cool and the grips are nicer than other bamboo ski pole companies.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Quick Google suggests Decathlon are planning launching online sales in California soon with other states to follow. Could be a bunch of disruption in the value sports market to come.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I guess you can curate a store for that purpose, good value, affordable gear. From head to toe.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Funny you should say that. @Philpug and I are looking at some logo wear for Pugski from Storm Creek. We're really liking the quality and variety.
Local hill does most of their products using Storm Creek. Been very happy with the quality and prices too. I go to Amazon if I don't want a logo on it.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Local hill does most of their products using Storm Creek. Been very happy with the quality and prices too. I go to Amazon if I don't want a logo on it.
You're going to want THIS logo Storm Creek. ;)

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Costco in my area had some great base and mid-layer stuff this year , from Head and Karbon. And Paradox merino base layers, It was all quite cheap. In the past they had Auclair gloves.(leather) This year they had Head gloves ,(synthetic)

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
If there is Burlington Coat store, they have good prices on coats and pants, that should last a few years for people just getting started. At one time they had Head Gloves for $12. The glove selection is hit or miss though.

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Tricia, are you asking for suggestions that a retail store could conceivably carry? Many of these suggestions are on-line or outlet types of purchases, but if you have a customer coming in to a store, that's a different category.

Edit: And IMO Kincos would suck for your average six days a year skier. I say that as someone that wears them ~100 days/yr. they are stiff and bulky at first and do best after waterproofing treatment. I like for what they are - work gloves - but I wear other gloves for freeskiing.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Tricia, are you asking for suggestions that a retail store could conceivably carry? Many of these suggestions are on-line or outlet types of purchases, but if you have a customer coming in to a store, that's a different category.

Edit: And IMO Kincos would suck for your average six days a year skier. I say that as someone that wears them ~100 days/yr. they are stiff and bulky at first and do best after waterproofing treatment. I like for what they are - work gloves - but I wear other gloves for freeskiing.
You are correct.
While "go do Sierra Trading Post" or "I got a deal on Spyder at Costco" are good outlets, I really wanted to develop a good glossary of good products at a reasonable price that the average new or returning skier could find at the local ski shop or as a last minute purchase at the resort.

Not knocking those who suggested STP or Costco deals, but those can be random sources to get some deals.
Recently @Philpug and I went shopping at our local STP only to find that they were sparse on anything we may be interested in. We actually asked one of the staff members if they were going out of business. The answer was, "No, we're just between seasons and shipments"

Last edited:

Xela

On the way to Squaw
Skier
Affordable means two things: (1) not buying more than you need; and (2) not paying too much for it. In terms of #2, bargains usually involve some sort of down-side, like erratic supply or inconvenience. Generally speaking, I would recommend used skis and poles (like end-of season demos), but new boots.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Affordable means two things: (1) not buying more than you need; and (2) not paying too much for it. In terms of #2, bargains usually involve some sort of down-side, like erratic supply or inconvenience. Generally speaking, I would recommend used skis and poles (like end-of season demos), but new boots.
Because there's nothing more expensive than a pair of bargain boots that don't fit.

laine

I ski like a girl. Fast.
Skier
Campmor house brand fleece

$29 wind blocking fleece jacket / mid layer

https://www.campmor.com/b/campmor-windban-fleece-jacket-mens

This. I worked at Campmor during the summer after my sophomore year of college. (I pretty much spent all of my paychecks there. Good thing it was a second job.) I highly recommend any of their house brand products. And they have great prices on gear across the board. Soft spot in my heart for that store even though I haven't been there in 15-20 years or so.

Sponsor

Staff online