• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Colorado Affordable Lodging in Telluride

Eddie S

Putting on skis
Skier
I've got an opportunity to ski Telluride the first week of January, followed by Wolf Creek and Taos. I'm looking forward to Telluride, but prices are as steep as a double-black run. Any suggestions or recommendations for keeping costs as low as possible? I'll be alone, and don't need anything fancy - just a place to sleep and shower. I'll have my 4x4 truck with snow tires, so getting around won't be a problem.

Thank you!

Snowfan

aka Eric Nelson
Skier
There is a decently priced place (100-125 IIRC) directly across the parking lot to the east from lift 7, ski in & out, free parking. I'll try to hunt down the name.

edit....found it. I hope this helps. Telluride Mountainside Inn. telluride.PNG There are also hostels around and in a pinch I have stayed in Ouray. The hot springs there is great after skiing.

Last edited:

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
I HIGHLY RECOMMEND the Windsor Hotel in Del Norte, when you ski Wolf Creek.
It is not what you would expect, an excellent historic restoration, a fine restaurant, and a great little bar.
Very very nice (for a podunk town).
And there is a good little brewery down the street (of course you could say that of just about every street corner in Colorado).

kimmyt

My Rack Is Bigger Than Yours
Skier
The Victorian is a very comfy little motel style place. Easy walk to the lift.

TS
Eddie S

Eddie S

Putting on skis
Skier
If you are by yourself, why not an Airbnb?
Hello, Scotty. Thank you! I had not thought of Airbnb. I travel so much for business that I reflexively think only of hotels. I'll look into that. Out of curiosity, what is the drive like between Ouray and Telluride in winter? I love Ouray but have only visited in summer. As an early riser, staying there is an option - I've got the wheels to get through lots of snow and ice. Thank you, again, for your helpful suggestion.

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
+1 on Mountainside.
The worst hotel in the best location anywhere in North America. It's amazing that it hasn't been torn down and replaced with some Trump or Marriott monstrosity.

dm

Last edited:

Tico

Putting on skis
Skier
Out of curiosity, what is the drive like between Ouray and Telluride in winter?

It's generally pretty casual if you're used to winter driving. A lot of tride employees live in Ridgway. And you could pop over to Silverton, which is a somewhat hairier drive.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
There is a decently priced place (100-125 IIRC) directly across the parking lot to the east from lift 7, ski in & out, free parking. I'll try to hunt down the name.

edit....found it. I hope this helps. Telluride Mountainside Inn. View attachment 30153 There are also hostels around and in a pinch I have stayed in Ouray. The hot springs there is great after skiing.

Just keep in mind that those are prices for Oct, not peak ski season which I'd expect to be higher?

TS
Eddie S

Eddie S

Putting on skis
Skier
sincere thanks to each of you for your help! Geez, I'm grateful for this forum and the wonderful people who contribute to it...

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
as for telluride. I been searching just about every room and or rental property there every which way I can for some time now for a trip in march. But if you just go to the ski resort website you can punch in the dates, type of accommodations, location, and toggle the price bar as well. It will give you whats available as per your choices.

Ive come to find out that most the properties (places to stay) can be had through a handful of agencies but many seem to work together offering properties of the others and pricing is the same no matter which way its booked.

That said, Jan first week seems to be prime so close to holidays plus winter recess and some prices were a tad cheaper in march. Some and certainly not all. It seems your looking at 200+ with taxes and fees. I just typed in jan 2nd to the 6 just for kicks and Victorian inn came up as cheapest for 189 plus tx and fees. I know the term cheap is relative but considering a major ski resort in January and small town that imo isn't bad. Honestly I don't think 89 dollar rooms exist anymore or not at least for anything decent and not in Tell. There were more options for under 189 but not that week and only about 20 bucks cheaper from what I saw.

Good luck!

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If you're coming from T-ride to Wolf, you'll probably want to stay on the Pagosa side. To stay in Del Norte, you'd have to overshoot the ski area by 34 miles (and S. Fork by almost 20) and then back-track to ski.

There is a relatively cheap hotel across the street from the Hot Springs in Pagosa that is also next door to the low-budget version of the springs. (Healing Waters or something like that) The hotel used to be a Best Western, but I think it's a Quality Inn now. Maybe cool Del Norte hotel for between WC and Taos?

SKI-3PO

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Check Hotwire - Victorian Inn is available as one of their Hot Deals. Have to pay up front though - not cancellable.

Sponsor