• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Aesthetic Skiing

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
I will watch better next time. It has been probably 10 years since I watched that last. Now I'm curious to see if I can make out that "tell"!

Every skier's is different. Eric Lipton, Dave Lyon, Jon Ballou, et al... All quickly and easily picked out.

john petersen

working through minutia to find the big picture!
Instructor
No offense taken, but I'd say, look harder. It's pretty easy to pick out individual demo team members. They each have their 'tell'. Same with pretty much every divisional staff member around here. I can look up the hill and quickly tell who's who in a couple of turns. but no big deal one way or the other...

We have always been able to pick out our peers quickly on the slopes.
There is a "new" aesthetic....you could call it modern, I guess. Equipment may help add to the aesthetic but is not dependent on it. Some posted that matching clothing to ski gear is part of the equation, some say form should follow function, some say form is more important, some talk of the inner perception, some talk of who they are watching.....

I like to think of the above over time and look at the aesthetic styles of the pioneers of our sport around the 1930s, as well as our modern day "pioneers".

Schneider certainly had his own style as did Tony Matt, Stenmark and Ligety, Killy, Brooksbank and Lipton, Ballou and Allard, Shiffrin and Vohn.....Can you tell them apart? heck yeah...and all are enjoyable to watch!

The "tells" of today fit together in a modern style that is pretty unique, yet certainly familiar. Its the evolution of skiing styles and techniques that intrigue me and make me want to experience ALL those styles for some reason. I have secretly "Arlberged" in the morning, shortswinged and wedelled in the afternoon and finished up with some (my emerging version of) high performance turns for the last few runs of the day.

I was once asked by a fellow instructor, "you were trying something on that run.....right?" I answered, "yup, Arlberg, just for the heck of it". (I want to see if I can find efficiency in the movements, or inefficiency, on todays equipment) I know I have them wondering at times. one thing for sure, Im having FUN. there is an aesthetic in even that, too!

;)

JP

TS
Crank

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
We have always been able to pick out our peers quickly on the slopes.
There is a "new" aesthetic....you could call it modern, I guess. Equipment may help add to the aesthetic but is not dependent on it. Some posted that matching clothing to ski gear is part of the equation, some say form should follow function, some say form is more important, some talk of the inner perception, some talk of who they are watching.....

I like to think of the above over time and look at the aesthetic styles of the pioneers of our sport around the 1930s, as well as our modern day "pioneers".

Schneider certainly had his own style as did Tony Matt, Stenmark and Ligety, Killy, Brooksbank and Lipton, Ballou and Allard, Shiffrin and Vohn.....Can you tell them apart? heck yeah...and all are enjoyable to watch!

The "tells" of today fit together in a modern style that is pretty unique, yet certainly familiar. Its the evolution of skiing styles and techniques that intrigue me and make me want to experience ALL those styles for some reason. I have secretly "Arlberged" in the morning, shortswinged and wedelled in the afternoon and finished up with some (my emerging version of) high performance turns for the last few runs of the day.

I was once asked by a fellow instructor, "you were trying something on that run.....right?" I answered, "yup, Arlberg, just for the heck of it". (I want to see if I can find efficiency in the movements, or inefficiency, on todays equipment) I know I have them wondering at times. one thing for sure, Im having FUN. there is an aesthetic in even that, too!

;)

JP

Well put.

I have always said in regards to skiing technique and styles that there are many ways to skin a cat. Skiing is an individual sport and for me adventure, fun, challenge, technique and, yes, style all play roles in my aesthetic. I sometimes try modern day carving and I sometimes sit back and jet turn. Mostly I just ski.

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
Level 7 is the new Level 9

Full Disclosure Statement: I didn't understand this and pm'd @KingGrump to ask what this meant.

LOL. And, I'm still sold 40R jackets.

Anyway, to me, I've seen aesthetic skiing performed by intermediate skiers, as well as advanced. To me, it's not a matter of style, not a matter of feet together or apart, stem turns or parallel, unweighting to turn or not. To me aesthetic means the skier exhibits, for that particular style, gracefulness, control, with intent. So, some elements are: great upper body posture with a solid (frame?); smooth entry and exit of all motions, from a carve, a side slip, a pole plant or touch. More advanced, imaginative use of terrain features; calligraphic, in the Asian fine art sense, tracks that intentfully emote strength, tenderness, or other feeling. Kind of like judging a figure skating and an art competition.

Well, that's just one person's attempt to describe aesthetic skiing.

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
For me............ when a skier I'm watching is at a certain level, it's all about watching the poles. There is "Art" there........... the poles are part of the dance. If I see someone "Dance" their poles........... again given everything else lines up, and I'm def not talking excessive pole movement............... for me that's where the "Asthetics" begin.......... check it out and watch for that along w/ line choice and everything else already mentioned............

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Ski/snow, and the 'flow'.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I was taught this way starting 50+ years ago and have only changed what is needed in terms of timing and angulation to adapt it the new skis. I also carve on newer skis better than I ever have.

What is old is new again comes to mind.

The biggest thing that keeps being repeated is using the upper body to direct the lower body. In short the upper is the counter balance for the lower.

I won't argue that it follows or leads, just that it provides a force point, how you achieve that is your choice and there are main (some better than others).

The names and terminology change, but in short the overall idea still remains constant (with swing a little to the left and right as time passes, pun intended). Hence flavor of the time.

Good skiing is good skiing.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
It all comes down whether it works effectively and if if feels good. The latter comes from the former. I ski 'aesthetically' a lot when I'm coaching. I'm typically on firm snow and don't want to have to deal with excess speed in a restricted arena. I also want to save energy by not carving which intrinsically requires more strength and energy.

I agree it is a skiing continues to repeat itself in the 'new'. Edging and balancing skills will always be required, it is just how much and how we achieve them that changes from day to day, run to run and turn to turn.

Viking9

Out on the slopes
Skier
I think it was last year when I watched the video of the demo teams and I liked the Austrian' s the most they seemed to be using independent leg action the most and still leaning on the downhill ski the most.
The Americans and some others seemed to be in love with the two ski carve and were forcing the up hill ski to be a big player , and you could see it so clearly and and it was really annoying to me , too contrived and completely unnecessary, TO ME OF COURSE.
So now fast forward to this thread and it seems to me the Austrians watched the Americans and some of the others and are begging us to please lay off the uphill ski and just let it be along for the ride ,,,,,,the way its always been.
Way to go AUSTRIA , LOAD AND POW !!
Style and athleticism.