• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Aerogels - in or out?

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I was browsing through Faction's website and noticed that their Marconi pant is no longer offered with aerogel insulation.

AFAICT only Rocky2SV, Shiver Shield and the Kickstarter fave Oros Lukla still offer aerogel insulation winter garments. Yeh, they're not names I would take a $400 flyer on either.

Anyone have more information?

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
I see Oros is still doing google ads. I clicked on it, being it was the first time I remember seeing that name.

Yea $400 is too steep for me on a proven coat let alone a non-proven coat.

Analisa

Making fresh tracks
Skier
In, but selectively. Aerogel is great since it doesn't add bulk like down, is super lightweight, and primaloft engineered around most of the issues with pliability and water-resistance, and unlike lofted insulation like down & standard synthetics, compression doesn't really matter. But on the flip side, it isn't very breathable and costs a lot.

I think Outdoor Research has smartly navigated the best applications - ice climbing gloves where bulk isn't tolerated, on the nose and cheekbones on a balaclava since they're not particularly sweaty zones on our faces and get the coldest. Helly Hansen uses it in their pockets to keep your phone from dying.

For most ski garments, I don't think it's the most useful primary insulation, but I think it'll continue to show up in hard-to-keep-warm spaces - strategic pockets, mittens, the toe box of boot liners (seriously, if no one's doing it, who wants to found a startup?), and uphill focused brands where customers will pay extra for a few less ounces.

Sponsor

Staff online