• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Utah Advice on Wed - Fri in Salt Lake City (Early March)

3 days in SLC from Cottonwood Heights. Which tickets to buy?

• Alta

Votes: 17 68.0%
  • Snowbird

Votes: 7 28.0%
  • Altabird combined ticket

Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Solitude

Votes: 8 32.0%
  • Brighton

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Solbright combined ticket

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Snowbasin

Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Deer Valley

Votes: 7 28.0%

• Total voters

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@TonyPlush
Can I inquire why you decided to go with the superpass instead of picking up a discounted voucher ticket each day from a local shop (which will be less than $110/day)? esp. with a car and so many people, will they all ski every day?
Is it the hassle or the option to do solbright?
Did you get a discount on the superpass that drops it below $110/day?

TS
TonyPlush

TonyPlush

Out on the slopes
Skier
@TonyPlush
Can I inquire why you decided to go with the superpass instead of picking up a discounted voucher ticket each day from a local shop (which will be less than $110/day)? esp. with a car and so many people, will they all ski every day?
Is it the hassle or the option to do solbright?
Did you get a discount on the superpass that drops it below $110/day?
Guess I wasn't aware of local shop discounts? Didn't see anything online for it. Also hoping to minimize time in the mornings spent picking stuff up, and would rather head straight to first chair.

I paid $330 for the three days.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
ah ok. Info for next time! SLC is not as cutthroat or dynamic pricing as vailresorts. There are still discount channels.
Most of the town rental shops (lifthouse, ski n see, even rei) have lift ticket vouchers. just search for ski shop close to your lodging or on your morning route. They will publish prices too on their website. You can buy as many as you need for the whole trip in 1 stop, each is good for the season, but no returns/refunds.
Liftopia at least 1 day ahead or direct from website also will get you pretty close and sometimes cheaper than the voucher for those resorts.
But you are right, every morning you will need to go to ticket window to redeem.

Last edited:
TS
TonyPlush

TonyPlush

Out on the slopes
Skier
ah ok. Info for next time! SLC is not as cutthroat or dynamic pricing as vailresorts. There are still discount channels.
Most of the town rental shops (lifthouse, ski n see, even rei) have lift ticket vouchers. just search for ski shop close to your lodging or on your morning route. They will publish prices too on their website. You can buy as many as you need for the whole trip in 1 stop, each is good for the season, but no returns/refunds.
Liftopia at least 1 day ahead or direct from website also will get you pretty close and sometimes cheaper than the voucher for those resorts.
But you are right, every morning you will need to go to ticket window to redeem.
Nice, thanks for the info. The closest shop to us has Snowbird for $97, Alta for $105, Solitude for $103, and Brighton for $89.

So a little cheaper than the $110/day Super Pass, but the Super Pass makes up for that difference slightly in:
  1. Free UTA Bus Rides ($9 roundtrip per day)
  2. Including SolBright combined tickets
  3. Straight to lift
Definitely good info for next time though! Thanks!

Lofcaudio

Getting off the lift
Skier
The discount lift tickets in SLC are a huge plus (they are straight to lift as well). I usually wait until the morning of to determine where I will be going and then just stop at the closest SkiNSee before heading to the hill. It really is an incredible deal and usually cheaper than anything you can find on Liftopia, with a little bit more flexibility.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Good to know they are straight to lift now.
Resort website, liftopia, voucher. Have to compare and find what works the best for you.
It is to VR benefit that by closing their outside sales you don't need to do this dealhunting. There's just 1 available price, and its available and the same for everyone at the point in time, nobody gets a better deal just because they know special info.

TS
TonyPlush

TonyPlush

Out on the slopes
Skier
Hey all,

I thought I'd give a quick TR update since everyone helped me so much in planning.

Our group did end up skiing Wednesday at Solitude/Brighton, Thursday at Snowbird, and Friday at Alta last week.

We had a blast! We ended up driving the SUV into the canyons each day, since there wasn't any snow forecasted. We arrived about 20 minutes before lift opening each day and got good parking spots each time.

Everyone agreed the Thursday at Snowbird was our favorite day. (So glad I didn't skip it, like originally planned!) This was helped by Snowbird being completely empty. We lined up for the tram at 8:55 AM and got the second car up. After that, we literally skied up to every lift with no wait, with the exception of Mineral Basin at noon. We had a blast lapping Regulator Johnson, popping in and out of bumps/groomers around Peruvian, and exploring Gadzoom, Gad II, and Mineral Basin. For advanced skiers, we really found Snowbird to be the perfect mountain. Conditions were surprisingly good too - a warm bluebird day with spots of corn snow to be found.

Everyone enjoyed Solitude, too. We felt it was a cool, smaller mountain with a local vibe. Perfect as a day one warmup. (Special thanks to the Headwall Forest/Corner Chute recommendations from @Slim @blackke17 and @skinavy; we all agreed those were the runs of the day and probably wouldn't have tried them otherwise! We lapped them for quite some time.)

We did ski over to Milly at Brighton, but we weren't really feeling the vibe and came right back to Solitude.

Alta on Friday was fun as well, even though conditions were a little crunchy and tough in areas. That said, we really enjoyed lapping Collins and Wildcat, although we agreed the run of the day was probably Devil's Castle.

I think the order was the right call, and I'm obviously glad we listened to the poll and did Snowbird!

This post has gotten pretty long winded already, so I'll cut it off here. I have posted a lot of pictures and a full Photo TR on my blog if anyone cares for more details.

Regulator Johnson 1000.jpg