• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Utah Advice on Wed - Fri in Salt Lake City (Early March)

3 days in SLC from Cottonwood Heights. Which tickets to buy?

• Alta

Votes: 17 68.0%
  • Snowbird

Votes: 7 28.0%
  • Altabird combined ticket

Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Solitude

Votes: 8 32.0%
  • Brighton

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Solbright combined ticket

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Snowbasin

Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Deer Valley

Votes: 7 28.0%

• Total voters

TonyPlush

Out on the slopes
Skier
So after much debate, the group’s decided Salt Lake City is the spot this year. We'll be staying in the townhouses on Wasatch Boulevard, walking distance to the Cottonwood Heights Park and Ride. (I believe this bus runs to Altabird but not Solbright.) We’ll also have a Suburban SUV and can drive, just not sure how tight this will be with 5-6 adults + gear.

We'll be skiing Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday the first week of March.

We are intermediate-advanced skiers. All blues and blacks are fine. Our priorities are:
  1. No crowds.
  2. Long, fast groomers and exploring trees/off-piste. (Usually a 50-50 groomer/off-piste split.) This thread talks about the types of trees we love.
  3. Preference for quicker lifts.
  4. Not powder hounds but obviously appreciate soft snow. Would prefer a bluebird day with no crowds over 12 inches of powder and long waits.
My initial thoughts on the various contenders and how they relate to this group:
  • Snowbird: Might pass on this. Great mountain, but I went for the first time last year on a Saturday powder day, and it was a madhouse.
  • Alta: Nobody except me has been before. I went for the first time last year and much preferred it over Snowbird for its lesser crowds. This group isn't about traversing or hiking, but I think they'd love the awesome groomers under Collins and the awesome variable conditions by Extrovert and Sunspot.
  • Solitude: The comments in the steep groomer thread have my interest. I've also read that it skis like a private mountain mid-week. Is that still the case with Solitude being unlimited on the Ikon pass?
  • Brighton: Seems like our group would prefer Solitude, but I'm not sure. Brighton was brought up several times in the moderate tree skiing thread. Considering this group's love for Steamboat, that puts it on the radar.
  • Snowbasin: Long groomers look awesome. @Lofcaudio ranking it above Snowmass is high praise, since Snowmass is in this group's top 3 mountains. Only negative is the 1 hour drive and concerns about the new Epic crowds this year.
  • Deer Valley: We went a few years ago and absolutely loved it. At the time we stuck only to groomers, so I'm curious about the tree and mogul runs I've heard about. $170/day window rate is a little off-putting though.
I guess I’m looking for itinerary advice, with an emphasis on avoiding crowds.

My initial plan was maybe Snowbasin on Wednesday to avoid epic crowds, Alta on Thursday, and Solitude on Friday. But I wasn't sure if Solitude would feel like a downgrade after Alta the day before?

I suppose we could also go for the Solitude/Brighton combined ticket, but I did this last year with Altabird and found it too much to take in for one day. In hindsight, I wish I would have picked one or the other. Then again, I'm judging this based on a Saturday powder day in LCC. Things could be much different during the week.

To make this thread even more exciting, I've attached a poll where you can select up to 3 ticket choices.

Thanks everyone!

EDIT - We ended up buying the Ski City Super Pass. Three days for $330, and valid for Snowbird, Alta, Solitude, and Brighton. Tentative plan is Solitude day 1, Snowbird day 2, and Alta day 3, but we'll be flexible based on conditions, road closures, etc.

Last edited:

Lofcaudio

Getting off the lift
Skier
My initial plan was maybe Snowbasin on Wednesday to avoid epic crowds, Alta on Thursday, and Solitude on Friday. But I wasn't sure if Solitude would feel like a downgrade after Alta the day before?

If you ski Snowbasin first, then anything after that is going to feel like a downgrade. I think your plan of attack is good. The crowding problems at the Utah resorts are really only on the weekends (and to a lesser extent, on epic powder days). While I think you should give Solitude a try, I would have a really hard time not hitting Snowbird while being there. Both Snowbasin and Snowbird best hit your stated criteria of the resorts around SLC (long, fast groomers with a 50/50 split between groomed and otherwise, with quick lifts that go everywhere...that's Snowbasin and Snowbird). If you like it wide-open, Strawberry at Snowbasin and Mineral Basin at Snowbird are crazy-fun especially for someone that's looking for that 50-50 split. You can do that on every run!

Don't give up on the 'Bird just yet...sounds like you had a bad day there.

TS
TonyPlush

TonyPlush

Out on the slopes
Skier
If you ski Snowbasin first, then anything after that is going to feel like a downgrade. I think your plan of attack is good. The crowding problems at the Utah resorts are really only on the weekends (and to a lesser extent, on epic powder days). While I think you should give Solitude a try, I would have a really hard time not hitting Snowbird while being there. Both Snowbasin and Snowbird best hit your stated criteria of the resorts around SLC (long, fast groomers with a 50/50 split between groomed and otherwise, with quick lifts that go everywhere...that's Snowbasin and Snowbird). If you like it wide-open, Strawberry at Snowbasin and Mineral Basin at Snowbird are crazy-fun especially for someone that's looking for that 50-50 split. You can do that on every run!

Don't give up on the 'Bird just yet...sounds like you had a bad day there.
Snowbird does sound perfect for everything except the crowd issue. The Saturday I went, Mineral Basin was 25-35 minute wait, whereas the main lifts at Alta were 2 minutes max.

Anyone have info on mid-week at Snowbird?

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Snowbasin was a madhouse last year even midweek at times, thanks to the MC. How the Epic pass plays out remains to be seen.

Woodsrider427

Getting on the lift
Skier
Snowbird does sound perfect for everything except the crowd issue. The Saturday I went, Mineral Basin was 25-35 minute wait, whereas the main lifts at Alta were 2 minutes max.

We were there the same week last year (first week of March) and it was fine during the week. We skied at Snowbird (and Alta too) on a Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday. I wouldn't have called them powder days but it snowed quite a bit Thursday and Friday and to me it wasn't crowded at all. Of course my idea of crowds and others out that way are probably two different things, I guess it all depends on what you are used to. We went to Solitude on that Saturday (our last day there) and I didn't think it was crowded either, but I heard quite a few complaints from others that thought it was. To me, those places are so big it's easy to find some space. Just go up early each day if you do drive.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I think Alta is great for the reasons you mentioned, that said for a family group I might choose Brighton and Solitude, overall smaller crowds and also with one base area it’s easier for people to split up on a given run to ski different runs/types of terrain and meet up at the bottom.

Nathanvg

Out on the slopes
Skier
Are you sure you want to go to UT? It sounds like Colorado, Western Canada or Sun Valley are better fits for you. That said, Snowbasin is the best fit in the area and Snowbird is pretty good too (but skews to non-groomed advanced/expert) Deer valley isn't terribly long but they do have a lot of steep groomers too. None will be that crowded midweek unless it dumps. Just about any ski area can be fun for a day though so enjoy.

JoeSchmoe

Snowboarder
Skier
Given you location and short time frame, skip Snowbasin.

Snowbird won't be busy on a Wednesday so don't let the crowds bother you. On day 1 your legs will be freshest so hit the big mountain first.

Then do Brighton Thursday and Solitude Friday after your legs are shot.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I think staying near Little and Big Cottonwood Canyons and driving to SnowBasin or Deer Valley is silly.
One of the suggested reasons to go to SnowBasin is for crowd avoidance. It is true the slopes will be somewhat less crazy than LCC on a powder day -- but that long drive on a powder day will be a huge frustration. When we tried it (from Cottonwood Heights) we spent over an hour in a traffic jam.

You are close to four great ski areas. Stick to them.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I checked Alta, Snowbird and Brighton in your poll for their proximity and the kind of skiing you like. Another option would be two days at Alta and one at Brighton. I agree with MDF, for a short visit like this I'd stick to the resorts that are near your lodging. Brighton has some good intermediate/advanced terrain (trails and trees) that is served by a nice arrangement of HSQ chairs, and parking is still free there.
Having said that, there are ways to monitor the traffic situation in LCC and BCC via smart phone/internet and if the traffic looks particularly bad for those two options, you could make a game day change to Deer Valley or Snowbasin since you have a nice SUV to travel in.

As others have said, LCC and BCC are generally fine on weekdays when there's no more than 6 inches of new snow.

cosmoliu

Making fresh tracks
Skier

I bet that 25-35 min wait was mid-morning. They call that the Mineral Basin "tourist trap". Once everyone rolls out of bed and gets on the mountain, they all want to hit Mineral Basin. The problem is that the Basin is like a big cereal bowl: Once you get in there's only one way out, unless you want to go over to Alta. You can avoid this by looking over the edge from the catwalk to check out the lift line. If it's monstrous, you haven't yet committed and you can turn right and head down Road to Provo to Little Cloud.

Mid week at the 'Bird is great.

Last edited:
TS
TonyPlush

TonyPlush

Out on the slopes
Skier
We were there the same week last year (first week of March) and it was fine during the week. We skied at Snowbird (and Alta too) on a Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday. I wouldn't have called them powder days but it snowed quite a bit Thursday and Friday and to me it wasn't crowded at all. Of course my idea of crowds and others out that way are probably two different things, I guess it all depends on what you are used to. We went to Solitude on that Saturday (our last day there) and I didn't think it was crowded either, but I heard quite a few complaints from others that thought it was. To me, those places are so big it's easy to find some space. Just go up early each day if you do drive.

That's good to hear. Although I'm guessing you may have a higher crowd tolerance than me. For the past few years we've planned our trips around crowd avoidance. My idea of crowded is waiting more than a minute or two for the chair, or not being able to let the skis fly on a groomer.

I think Alta is great for the reasons you mentioned, that said for a family group I might choose Brighton and Solitude, overall smaller crowds and also with one base area it’s easier for people to split up on a given run to ski different runs/types of terrain and meet up at the bottom.
This will be a group of 6 adults. All identical skiing abilities. (Intermediate-Advanced)

Are you sure you want to go to UT? It sounds like Colorado, Western Canada or Sun Valley are better fits for you. That said, Snowbasin is the best fit in the area and Snowbird is pretty good too (but skews to non-groomed advanced/expert) Deer valley isn't terribly long but they do have a lot of steep groomers too. None will be that crowded midweek unless it dumps. Just about any ski area can be fun for a day though so enjoy.
Ah! Just when I think I finalized a location! For whatever reason, I'm having a brutal time planning the trip this year.

As far as Colorado, I'd love to experience Telluride or go back to Snowmass, but the price and difficulty of getting there rules it out this year, unfortunately. I've also had one too many bad experiences with Epic to want to deal with the Vail, Breck, and Keystone crowds, even though I do love the mountains. The ease of Salt Lake City appeals to some of the more cost-conscious and travel-averse in this group. Flights to Boise don't work for our group (Sun Valley). By Western Canada do you mean Whistler? We went there a few years ago and had the worst day ever. 45+ minute waits for every single lift (I timed with my phone) - skied 5 runs from opening to close and vowed never to return.

I checked Alta, Snowbird and Brighton in your poll for their proximity and the kind of skiing you like. Another option would be two days at Alta and one at Brighton. I agree with MDF, for a short visit like this I'd stick to the resorts that are near your lodging. Brighton has some good intermediate/advanced terrain (trails and trees) that is served by a nice arrangement of HSQ chairs, and parking is still free there.
Having said that, there are ways to monitor the traffic situation in LCC and BCC via smart phone/internet and if the traffic looks particularly bad for those two options, you could make a game day change to Deer Valley or Snowbasin since you have a nice SUV to travel in.

As others have said, LCC and BCC are generally fine on weekdays when there's no more than 6 inches of new snow.
Thanks for the tips. Is it fair to say Brighton has the better trees, and Solitude has the better groomers?

TS
TonyPlush

TonyPlush

Out on the slopes
Skier
I bet that 25-35 min wait was mid-morning. They call that the Mineral Basin "tourist trap". Once everyone rolls out of bed and gets on the mountain, they all want to hit Mineral Basin. The problem is that the Basin is like a big cereal bowl: Once you get in there's only one way out, unless you want to go over to Alta. You can avoid this by looking over the edge from the catwalk to check out the lift line. If it's monstrous, you haven't yet committed and you can turn right and head down Road to Provo to Little Cloud.

Mid week at the 'Bird is great.
True, it was Mineral Basin, although a little later in the day due to a late opening of Mineral Basin.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
"Thanks for the tips. Is it fair to say Brighton has the better trees, and Solitude has the better groomers?"
Yes, I suppose that is fair to say. I find the lift/trail layout at Solitude to feel sort of chopped-up. Brighton is a bit more straightforward and served by well-placed HSQs.

TP, I will likely be skiing Snowbird a lot around the time frame of your visit. If you want a guide for a few hours of int-adv crowd avoidance skiing there, let me know a few days in advance to see if our schedules match-up.

Nathanvg

Out on the slopes
Skier
Ah! Just when I think I finalized a location! For whatever reason, I'm having a brutal time planning the trip this year.

As far as Colorado, I'd love to experience Telluride or go back to Snowmass, but the price and difficulty of getting there rules it out this year, unfortunately. I've also had one too many bad experiences with Epic to want to deal with the Vail, Breck, and Keystone crowds, even though I do love the mountains. The ease of Salt Lake City appeals to some of the more cost-conscious and travel-averse in this group. Flights to Boise don't work for our group (Sun Valley). By Western Canada do you mean Whistler? We went there a few years ago and had the worst day ever. 45+ minute waits for every single lift (I timed with my phone) - skied 5 runs from opening to close and vowed never to return.
Sorry, didn't mean to make you fret. A destination almost never checks every box but that's ok, you'll have a good time wherever you go.

At some point you should ski the other western Canada ski areas. Places like Panorama, Lake Louise, Sun Peaks, Big White and Silver Star are all great places with good groomers and super low crowds. Getting there can take a little extra time. They're generally very inexpensive with mostly high speed lifts.

SLC is great place for a short trip. I encourage you to consider where you want to ski first, then choose your lodging location. Most people either stay near Odgen (Snowbasin/PowMow), near Park City (PC/deer valley) or near Sandy (SB/Alta/Solitude/Brighton). Sticking with your current Sandy location, works well. Odgen can work well too. Snowbasin is a great fit. Powmow is uncrowded with lots of glades and bowls you'd enjoy. Not many steep groomers nor fast lifts though.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I think staying near Little and Big Cottonwood Canyons and driving to SnowBasin or Deer Valley is silly.
One of the suggested reasons to go to SnowBasin is for crowd avoidance. It is true the slopes will be somewhat less crazy than LCC on a powder day -- but that long drive on a powder day will be a huge frustration. When we tried it (from Cottonwood Heights) we spent over an hour in a traffic jam.

You are close to four great ski areas. Stick to them.

Hmm? I had no issues at all when I drove there for a powder day at the SLC Gathering? I had not been in contact with anyone and did have some FOMO because I knew LCC had gotten around 36" to Snowbasin's 12". However, I also know what a powder morning feeding frenzy looks and feels like in LCC and opted with no regrets and no heavy traffic for Snowbasin. #freshies all day

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Hmm? I had no issues at all when I drove there for a powder day at the SLC Gathering? I had not been in contact with anyone and did have some FOMO because I knew LCC had gotten around 36" to Snowbasin's 12". However, I also know what a powder morning feeding frenzy looks and feels like in LCC and opted with no regrets and no heavy traffic for Snowbasin. #freshies all day

I don't know how you got there, but the rest of us had issues: From the March 2018 Gathering Thread:

Traffic getting to Snowbasin is front page news http://www.standard.net/Recreation/...owbasin-resort-operators-explain-options.html in paper I picked up in lobby of Best Western at mouth of Weber Canyon in South Ogden where we're staying the next two nights.

2 mile backup now to get in. 10 mph. At least moving a bit

I’m one mile away from SB

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeah @mdf , the drive up from SLC on first day of 2018 Gathering at Snowbasin was pretty intense.

@Crank has selective memory. He forgets the bad and only remembers the good:
copy-of-dscn3941-jpg.40774

copy-of-dscn3943-jpg.40776

copy-of-dscn4140-jpg.40791

copy-of-dscn4246-jpg.40798

Sponsor