• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Advice on new K2 Mindbender tips chipping/deteriorating

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
If you look at those chips, it's not just paint chips like nail polish getting dinged. It's chips in the first layer, 3D chips. Supposedly, according to some, from granular snow. After 4 days of use. I could see something looking like that having been dragged along the sidewalk. But the worst-wearing set of skis I've owned going back to the 70's never looked like that after 4 days. I don't think that constitutes "whining". (Labeling this as whining is pretty inflammatory, actually.) I can totally believe that someone knocked his skis over at lunch and scraped them along the side of the lodge, but not that this is acceptable damage from snow.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
According to me, yes, from granular snow. This happens to some degree to every ski I've owned that I can recall.i am not crossing my tips or dropping skis out of a box onto a parking lot. I've given an example of what I'd do to help a customer having this issue ro the degree that the OP has, and yes, I do communicate with and process warranty claims.

I've not discounted the idea that the wear appears excessive. Yes, you're right, a couple here are being overly dismissive and less than polite, but sadly, that's the internet and the world we live in. Ignoring them or blocking their posts is the best path. And if one views the wear and tear as excessive, we're free to choose other brands as there's plenty of phenomenal skis in every category on the market. Speaking only for myself, I will keep an eye out to see if this is a consistent problem with K2 skis that come through our shop, but respectfully, I don't think this will be resolved on a thread on the internet.

Last edited:

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
This reinforces my decision to no longer sell the skis I build. A huge consensus that some trivial cosmetic issues might be a warranty issue is absolutely terrifying to me.

My waterskis have tournament results that only Goode skis could exceed. I'm not going to share the awesome performance with whiners stressing over a ding.

Whiner? Thanks for taking this into the gutter, braggart.

Part of my worry is that with this happening after 4 days, they may deteriorate very badly at 20 days. I didn't want to wait until then, and hear that I should have made contact sooner.

mishka

Getting off the lift
Industry Insider
This reinforces my decision to no longer sell the skis I build. A huge consensus that some trivial cosmetic issues might be a warranty issue is absolutely terrifying to me.

My waterskis have tournament results that only Goode skis could exceed. I'm not going to share the awesome performance with whiners stressing over a ding.

OK, this is pretty harsh. I care about how I look on the skis, not how the skis look. Darn, that sounds even harsher.

Ugly skis that rock, rock! Even more than pretty skis that rock. That's just me.

Eric

I agree and disagree with your thoughts on the subject. At the same time damage described in this thread is excessive.

in a small production or build to order custom skis we have advantage over mass production skis to find uncommon solution to very common problems. Reality is overall looks important and need to be dealt almost at the same level as performance, end product have to be better than mass production skis in both looks and performance otherwise what's the point

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@Tom K. Four pages of a social media flaming of an established ski manufacturer and a reputable retailer and I'm the one taking this to the gutter? You made your claim to K2 and Ski Essentials. If the skis fall apart you have the communication to support your warranty claim. If the skis are just cosmetically chipped, you can ski them for as long as you want - even with more chips making them ski ... exactly the same. Perhaps if you had a solution like black Gorilla tape to control the chips we'd respect your input. Otherwise, the incessant complaints sounds like just the W word.

I apologize if that is offensive to you. As a ski builder, warranty demands that are simply cosmetic are terrifying.

@mishka Your skis are works of art as well as performers. A long way from a mostly black ski where extra graphics weight will just adversely affect performance. Who buys a straight black ski for the looks?

Eric

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
This is my Mindebnder 99's after ONE day of skiing. I am not sure if you can see the tips well enough (I was able to zoom in on my computer) but there are chips on the tip. One day. I was up skiing some bumps and mixed conditions that day.
IMG_1632.jpeg

When I get back to Reno, I will take pictures of other skis we have and I would say more than half of the skis have some chips on them...most just K2 but all brands.

Here are some Renoun's and you can see on the Citadels on the right and you can see some chips oon them. It is not one skis fault that the other one converges into it, edges are sharp and they can ship a tip.
IMG_4111.jpeg

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
OK, this will be my last post on this topic, but a few things need clarifying:

1. I've got no problem with cosmetic chipping. The problem is that the MB108s look far worse in four days than any other ski I own.

2. There is a strong question as to whether or not this is simply cosmetic in nature, since K2 advised me to "bring the skis in for maintenance epoxy and sealing at a local ski shop to avoid further damage and moisture getting in between and creating advanced wear". So have my skis repaired at my cost after four days. The actual MANUFACTURER is recommending this.

3. K2 really got me wound up with their contention that this was due to my "misuse and lack of care for the skis". After four days.

I've been warmed by the support from most forum members on this topic, and disheartened by the lack of same by others. I'm going skiing on my kind of ancient, but still beloved, Nordica Fire Arrow 80s, which, after at least 100 days, still look much better than my MB108s.

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Does one expect the manufacturer to provide warranty to edges that dull after four days?

When you sharpen your edges, wipe some JB Quik on the exposed core. Hit it with some flat black paint. Less cost than a beer and probably less time than drinking said beer.

If your skis break prematurely, I'll buy you a beer when we meet. If you get a couple good (but chipped) seasons, you're buying.

Eric

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Tom K. I was sorry to read about your concern with the Mindbenders after having read this post.

Since the skis we have are mostly put out to demo with members of the site, seeing chipping from various ski styles of those who get on our skis has become the norm, which may be why you feel like you're not getting sympathy. I sincerely hope you find a way to continue to enjoy your MBs.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Tom K. I was sorry to read about your concern with the Mindbenders after having read this post.

Since the skis we have are mostly put out to demo with members of the site, seeing chipping from various ski styles of those who get on our skis has become the norm, which may be why you feel like you're not getting sympathy. I sincerely hope you find a way to continue to enjoy your MBs.

Thanks @Tricia!

@SkiEssentials has reopened the discussion through Jeff (who I believe is the pugski forum "rep" for lack of a better term) so I've got my fingers crossed.

Vinnie

Getting on the lift
Skier
I’ve noticed that this particular Mindbender tip chipping issue is popping up on other ski forums and affecting some Pug skier’s consideration of the Mindbender 108ti. As another perspective Gravity Sports at Mt Bachelor has the Mindbender 108ti available for demo in various sizes. I tried them in 172cm and 179cm lengths. The 172cm had no tip chipping when I took them out and none when I brought them back. The 179cm had some tip chipping that I would consider normal. Now it’s mid-season and I’m sure these skis have been out a number times with all different sorts of skiers. Without discounting that Tom may actually be dealing with a defective pair, it’s a disservice to generalize that all the Mindbenders have this problem.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
This is not a Mindbender after one day of skiing a lot of moguls in Jackson Hole. Simply, if your tips hit against each other, they can chip and scratch.
9DC5FBC3-E418-4894-AA1D-9ED2936FB6A5.jpeg

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
This is not a Mindbender after one day of skiing a lot of moguls in Jackson Hole. Simply, if your tips hit against each other, they can chip and scratch.
View attachment 94868

Sorry, not even remotely similar to what I've got going on. Also, on our recent trip to Sun Valley, I saw four other pair of MB108s, and their tips looked darn good. I truly believe I got a wonky, NON-REPRESENTATIVE, pair.

Side Note: Why would anybody be skiing a 108 when SV hadn't received new snow in two weeks?!

Phil, I have noticed you've got an awfully narrow stance in a lot of the JH pics. ;)

Last edited:

princo

Getting off the lift
Skier
Does anybody knows if the construction of the 2021 Mindbender has changed or reinforced to prevent this from happening? The Mindbender are on the short list to replace a pair of Rictor 90s.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Does anybody knows if the construction of the 2021 Mindbender has changed or reinforced to prevent this from happening? The Mindbender are on the short list to replace a pair of Rictor 90s.
No change in the 2021 other than cosmetics.

Sponsor