• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Crap these were expensive as hell and only 3 years old.

Edit: I didn't even know I could just replace the lens lol... You just blew my mind... Might get a clear now as well for night skiing and something a bit darker.
you could still also try the warranty /goodwill route but set your expectations appropriately and don't count on it.

Shawn

Beep beep
Skier
I wear Warby Parker Stockton frames; they don't fit under vintage Oakley A-Frames. So, instead, I ski with OTG goggles with a clear lens (I do a lot of night skiing). At night, I'll wear regular glasses. In the daytime, I'll wear prescription sunglasses: Ray-Ban New Wayfarers. It's not an ideal solution; the sunglasses aren't nearly dark enough to block the bright glare of the sun and the snow. But it works, more or less.

I've tried contacts. When they work, they work. Can't beat that field of vision. But for me, contacts were just too much of a hassle. Getting them in was an issue. Skiing with them wasn't foolproof: my eyes would water at times, which turned my vision blurry. Often, the contacts would dry up and fall out—particularly at speed.

Carolinacub

Yes thats a Cubs hat I'm wearing
Skier
Normally I wear bifocals but when I ski I wear single vision glasses and OTG goggles. The glasses I wear are an old pair of beaters that are trying really hard to fall apart and have had more than their fair share of super glue applied. every once in a while I have some fogging issues on the lift but a quick lift of the goggles clears it right up. As a matter of fact someone on here mentioned that the best trick that they had found was to put the goggles on early and just leave them on. I started doing that and it really works well. I do carry a pair of readers with me and again they are a pair of beaters that I could really care less about breaking. One thing that I have plenty of is cheap readers.

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
I'm breaking down and ordering the sportRX inserts asap. I tried other gogles and I fog up in them as well. My glasses are just to close to my face and I get warm when I ski hard. Last night my googles fogged up in the SG course and it sucked. Can't wait to try these out.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I realized I mentioned my cataract in a conditions thread, but didn't report back here. I have one day of skiing with my post-surgery eye. The skiing went really well. My new eye has 20/20 distance vision. Pretty cool.

The visibility was generally pretty good, so I don't have data on how much of a difference it makes in flat light.

Since I only had one eye done, I now have one nearsighted eye and one that only focuses at a distance. Eventually I will probably get a new pair of bifocals but for now I am getting by with a couple of franken-glasses I pieced together. I get discombobulated sometimes with the logistics of two different pairs of glasses.

aveski

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I wear contacts for skiing only. Other than that I wear glasses. I'm near sighted and have astigmatism. I really like contacts. I have a full field of vision and no goggle fogging problems. My contacts are for distance vision. I just bought a pair of Thin Optics readers for maps and phone use. Because I only wear contacts for skiing, it's sometimes an adventure to put them in.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I realized I mentioned my cataract in a conditions thread, but didn't report back here. I have one day of skiing with my post-surgery eye. The skiing went really well. My new eye has 20/20 distance vision. Pretty cool.

The visibility was generally pretty good, so I don't have data on how much of a difference it makes in flat light.

Since I only had one eye done, I now have one nearsighted eye and one that only focuses at a distance. Eventually I will probably get a new pair of bifocals but for now I am getting by with a couple of franken-glasses I pieced together. I get discombobulated sometimes with the logistics of two different pairs of glasses.

I’ve been there and done that with fabulous results in both eyes. I was damn near legally blind in my right eye and like 20/240 in my left. I had them done back to back 1 month apart about 3 years ago snd I’m now 20/20 in my right eye and 20/15 in my left at distance. I do have to use reading glasses, but that’s a fair tradeoff imo. Best thing I ever did.

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
I ended up paying $150 for my goggle inserts with the anitfog coating. Not bad overall. My perscription hasn't changed much in years so I'll get 4-4 years of skiing out of these 25+ times per year. With as annoyed as I've been with my glasses/goggle situation lately that price seems fine to me.