• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

laine

I ski like a girl. Fast.
Skier
So I was out to dinner this evening and my friend Steve whipped out the most compact reading glasses I have ever seen! They were attached to the back of his phone case, like a card holder. I don't need glasses for distance, so I don't need them for skiing, but I do need glasses for reading the map or actually seeing my food to eat.

https://www.thinoptics.com/phone-case

I mean, yeah, they'll make me look old, but essentially, it's just a different case to swap onto my phone and I won't have to carry a separate pair of glasses.

Paul Savin

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Guessing if it works Lasix is a great solution - I avoided it and went with SportRX goggles. Find them online or look for their ads in the back of most any ski magazine. They do 2 versions of prescription goggles - 1 is an insert that fits inside a regular pair of off the shelf goggles, the other integrates a prescription lenses right into the frame. I have both - 1 for your regular bright, sunny CO day another for stormy conditions. I prefer the integrated lenses, the inserts can move around a little. You need a prescription that's current (I think 12 months max age) - upload it, then select from a variety of custom options - how dark to tint, what tint color you want, polarized, scratch resistant etc. These aren't cheap - but I got 8 or 9 years out of my first pair and seeing clearly is a revelation!

Eric267

Gettin after it
Skier
Went down to Reno last week and picked out a new par of glasses for under my goggles since Chief got to the old ones and mangled them pretty good. $7 for plain, low profile, no name, breakaway wire rim frames. With the lenses came to about $80 with a one year warranty on the frames. Going to get a few extra pairs of the same frame so if they get bent I can just move the lenses over. Now we just need some snow..

quant

Don't worry; just go down.
Skier
I've skied with contacts, glasses, and the inserts to goggles. One brand of contacts would fall out if I ski fast and the eyes started to tear. Now, this doesn't happen with the newer brands. Glasses are CHEAP from Zenni Optical. At $10 for prescription lenses, I can keep some in the car in case I need to wear them with goggles (should I forget the contacts or whatever). I tried the Zenni goggles but they gapped in the fit to the helmet (I am vain). The lens portion drops out and could be placed inside goggles that fit, but they tend to fog after each run. Contacts are still the best way for me to go.

Carl

On the north side of the mountain
Skier
I use daily contacts. They are very comfortable. I can wear them all day with no problem. The only tricky part is putting them in because they are super thin.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Went to the eye doctor this afternoon, The cataract in my right eye is ready to go. Appointment with the eye surgeon in about 2 weeks.

Keep us posted on your results!
I realized I can see the cataract from the outside without any special circumstances. It is the white smudge right in the middle. Being centered makes the effect worst in bright light when my pupil is small.
eye.jpg

During the evaluation visit, I listed skiing in flat light (under "other") on the questionaire about what problems the cataract is causing. So my eye surgeon says, "ah,, you are a skier. We will have to get you fixed up."
Later, I asked about scheduling to make sure I hadn't waited too long, he says "you can ski in a week or two. Now I wouldn't jump into Corbets right away."
Turns out, he was in Jackson Hole last year, and he did jump into Corbets. "I had 'Dave the Wave' as a guide for a couple of days and told him I wanted to do it. So he took me around to all the simulators [a terrain progression of spots that echo some characteristics]. I failed all the tests, but he thought I could do it anyway. I made it down without falling, so I felt pretty proud of myself." Turns out my doctor is going to be in Big Sky on a trip that overlaps with our Gathering....

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I had the surgery this morning. It went great.
My cataract was obvious enough that the senior prep nurse showed it to the junior prep person (nurse? aide? clerk? dunnoh) to illustrate what the whole business was about. The place was a really efficient assembly line. One person in the reception area to process paperwork. A vital signs and history nurse (with a helper/trainee in my case) who also gowns you right over your clothes. Move you to a row of big leather recliners. Anesthesiologist comes by, briefs you, and inserts IV needle. Next nurse comes by and cleans eye area and puts in drops and numbing gel. Move to operating room, get you positioned, tape surgical drape/eye holder, and I guess start IV. Surgeon moves very bright work light over you. I thought they were still preparing but they were already finished. Never even knew when the incision happened. Very light sedation -- didn't notice the effects. Two hours from getting out of the car to getting back into the car.

I prepared for different vision but didn't think it through quite right. I bought a cheap pair of glasses (www.39dollarglasses.com) a few weeks ago with my distance prescription in one eye and flat glass in the other. I'll get "real" glasses after ny vision settles to the new normal. But that doesn't solve the reading problem. I found a pair of readers I could take apart to use only one side. Not sure yet if that is better or worse than just reading with one eye.

I can see the color difference between eyes when I pay attention, but it is only really noticable when looking at bright white objects like china plates.

Last edited:

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Two hours from getting out of the car to getting back into the car.

Did you drive yourself home? They wouldn't let me drive after my cataract operations. I also had to wear a patch for sleeping so I wouldn't rub my eye in my sleep. Also lots of eye drops.

I didn't notice any vision problems prior to the operation but post op I did realize that my apartment wasn't so dingy and the walls didn't need painting after all.

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
I have Smith Prophesy google and need to use an older pair of glasses I have as my newer glasses don't fit well underneath the goggles.

I've never had contact in my life as I have pretty bad Astigmatism and my optician says I wouldn't like the weighted contacts much. I have had on and off issues with fogging but usually can keep my goggles clear by making sure I'm not overheated and that my breath is going down away from my goggles and not up at them. I sometimes need to raise up my helmet on the lift to get more hot air out and vent my goggles.

I raced a bunch this past Sunday in 45 degree weather and I COULD NOT get my goggles to stop fogging. The fog was actually in between the two layers of the lenses which I thought was weird. I went inside and put them in the sun for 45 minutes but when I went back out they fogged up again in about 15 seconds. I was very hot that day I should add, to the point of being sweaty.

Shawn C.

Out on the slopes
Skier
Focker,
I have astigmatism in one eye and the contacts are ok. Not super comfortable but worth it on balance. I only wear them when skiing or birding (yes, birding) so only about 55-60 days a year. Give them a try. Once you get moving, you probably won't notice them.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Focker,
I have astigmatism in one eye and the contacts are ok. Not super comfortable but worth it on balance. I only wear them when skiing or birding (yes, birding) so only about 55-60 days a year. Give them a try. Once you get moving, you probably won't notice them.

I had astigmatism and just wore contacts for skiing. Then I had the cataract operations and no more astigmatism, no more nearsightedness, no more eye glasses or contact lenses.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I have Smith Prophesy google and need to use an older pair of glasses I have as my newer glasses don't fit well underneath the goggles.

I've never had contact in my life as I have pretty bad Astigmatism and my optician says I wouldn't like the weighted contacts much. I have had on and off issues with fogging but usually can keep my goggles clear by making sure I'm not overheated and that my breath is going down away from my goggles and not up at them. I sometimes need to raise up my helmet on the lift to get more hot air out and vent my goggles.

I raced a bunch this past Sunday in 45 degree weather and I COULD NOT get my goggles to stop fogging. The fog was actually in between the two layers of the lenses which I thought was weird. I went inside and put them in the sun for 45 minutes but when I went back out they fogged up again in about 15 seconds. I was very hot that day I should add, to the point of being sweaty.

if you have moisture inbetween the lenses or the goggles are fogging up, they are wornout or somehow failing.
Give up and try a new pair of OTG goggles. if your goggles are less than 1yr potentially you can inquire on warranty.

Only if it's your glasses that are fogging it means you need antifog on your glasses (dont treat ski goggles, they're pretreated)

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks to everyone who posted encouragement for me on my wife's facebook page. It makes me happy to know so many people are thinking of me.:golfclap:

1chris5

Getting off the lift
Skier
My vision has changed and unfortunately I may need to wear glasses more regularly, including potentially while skiing.

How do you folks who require corrective vision deal with this when you ski? I do not think I want to go the contacts route like most people I know due to the inconvenience, not being used to them, and the fact that my far vision correction distorts my near reading vision.

Do people wear glasses under goggles, do you get a prescription goggle lense, and if so any recommendations? My glasses prescription is a little different for each eye, so not sure if they can even do that with goggle lenses.

Potentially needing some sort of vision correction while skiing is all new to me so wanted to check in for advice from the Pugski community.

Thanks!
I just wear contacts but my son needed some type of corrective vision device for his skiing and we chose universal goggle inserts. They did not cost very much, took a few weeks to receive. You just have to follow the instructions and contact your optometrist for your prescription to include a measurement that measures the distance between pupils and you need to input your current goggle specs to make sure that they will fit. We did not realize he needed glasses last year and he was miserable. This year he can't wait to get out on the slopes.
Ski-Goggles-Rx-Adapter_CB2__23034.1510265865.jpg

Chef23

Getting on the lift
Skier
I just skied with glasses on for the first time this weekend. I usually just ski slightly blurry my distance vision isn't that bad. This past weekend I was wearing an older pair of glasses that are a little smaller and I just popped my goggles on without thinking. I didn't even realize I had them on until I had to check my phone at the bottom of the run and realized I could see the phone.

My frames are plastic and not flexibly and I am in a pair of non OTG goggles but they seemed to work fine. It was in the 30s so not extreme conditions. We will see how that works when colder.

Sponsor

Staff online