• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mid-Atlantic Advice for when to visit Elk Mountain

ihocky2

Putting on skis
Skier
I have a pair of passes for Elk that are good for an 8 hour pass on the weekends or is good for $10 off a weekday pass. I have never skied Elk before, so I am not familiar with the crowds. The weekend is financially the better choice, but I am okay with taking a snow day for lighter crowds on a weekday. I would like to get the best value out of the passes. How are weekends at Elk? I know the rest of the Pocono resorts get packed on the weekends, but Elk is out of the way from the rest of them.

SKI-3PO

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Elk will be crowded on weekends but less crowded than areas more convenient to more people. Slow lifts keep the trails manageable. As with other areas, if it has snowed recently where those “more people” live, it will be more crowded.

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
First off...congratulations on getting some free/discounted passes.....(they are hard to come by at Elk)......FYI- When picking up your Elk passes/RFID cards....there will be a 5.00 charge for the reloadable card/ so your discounted passes just got not so discountable...lol

Weekends are not as crowded as other areas.....but can be busy by Elk standards. Go first thing Sunday morning and you will be able to get some very good runs before it gets "crowded".

Last edited:

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
I had the same deal a few years ago...went with the weekday pass. This year especially, I wouldn't think twice about avoiding the weekend crowds anywhere in the Poconos. In this case, I think it's well worth the money.

Scrundy

I like beer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Depends on you really, if you’re a top to bottom pedal to the metal type then I’d avoid the weekend. I’m that type and would only ski a 4 hour pass on weekends, be there for first chair and be gone by 10:30. Really any weekday would be my choice if I had one. Generally you can drive right up to upper lot and avoid the cattle truck, nice if you like to chill at vehicle during lunch.

TS
I

ihocky2

Putting on skis
Skier
I had the same deal a few years ago...went with the weekday pass. This year especially, I wouldn't think twice about avoiding the weekend crowds anywhere in the Poconos. In this case, I think it's well worth the money.
Great point about this year wanting to avoid the crowds. I was leaning towards a weekday, but the frugal part of me wants to get the free tickets.

SKI-3PO

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Odd that they’re giving you a free weekend day but only a discount on the weekday. Figured they would pay you to go on a weekday. :huh:

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
Great point about this year wanting to avoid the crowds. I was leaning towards a weekday, but the frugal part of me wants to get the free tickets.
I'm about as cheap as they come (just ask my wife...LOL). But from my perspective, there's more value in having much less crowded slopes. Unless you plan to be there for first chair an leave at noon on a weekend. Thats what I used to do even before the current crowding situation.
Good luck with your decision. Either way, you come out ahead

Sponsor

Staff online