• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Advice for new skis

Mwsteele

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Ok, so I've been going back and forth on at least 5 pairs of skis over the past few weeks. I'll read an article or watch a video on a particular pair and then will think of that ski as my frontrunner. I'm at the point where I think I'm being too analytical and have over thought this process.The main factor I'm trying to consider is my size. It seems most reviews and articles are for guys 5'9"/175. I'm an athletic 6'3"/270. Im an advanced level skier, however I'm almost always on the piste and usually ski at a fast pace. I'm not a carver. I tend to make short/quick turns with a bit of skidding mixed in. I primarily ski west coast, Utah and California.

One big question is what binding should I go with? Some of the skis I'm looking at come with bindings as a package, however most top off at 12 and cant be upgraded because the skis have the rails pre-mounted by the manufacturer. According to most DIN charts I'm a 8.5, but the weight range is simply 210+. So someone who is my height and ability, but weighs 215 has the same DIN as me who is 55 lbs heavier? I'm would think my DIN should be higher.

The skis I've been considering: (all are 2020 models and in no particular order)

1) Rossi Experience 88 ti in 186 (only comes from my seller with Konect 12 binding) This would be my #1, but I'm concerned about the bindings.
2) Volkl Kendo 88 in 184
3) Atomic Vantage 90 ti in 184
4) Nordica Enforcer 88 in 186
5) Nordica Navigator 85 in 186
6) Blizzard Rustler 9 in 188
7) Dynastar Legend X 88 in 186

Any advice is GREATLY appreciated. If there is a ski I didnt mention please feel free to throw it out. I have a trip coming up in 3 weeks and need to figure this out ASAP. Thanks!

BobF

Skier
I have the 2018 Atomic Vantage 90 ti and have loved them out west. These skis were a real game changer for me. They are great carving skis and they love groomers on up to ankle-deep loose snow and crud. Love 'em for spring skiing too. The titanium in the tail will help bounce you out of the back seat should you find yourself there and the shovels are wide enough to keep you on top of the loose stuff. The only knock against them is ice. Like most skis there are very few that can truly handle it all. Their Achilles heel is real hardpack IMO. I ski in both the east and the west and frankly I'm looking for a better eastern ski for those icy days. But if it snows or the temp warms into the 30's and 40's in the east I'll take out the Atomics no question. I think you'd probably be happy with any of the skis in your list- they are great all-rounders. Another one to consider is the Atomic Vantage 97 Ti. The reviews look really good and they may offer more hardpack edge control than the 90. God speed on your quest!

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
According to most DIN charts I'm a 8.5, but the weight range is simply 210+
A long time ago, I abandoned the charts. I cranked it up until there were no pre-releases. But, that may have also been partly improvement in skiing, as I once discovered I had forgotten to re-tension the binding at the beginning of the season, yet Ib wasn’t coming out. That, or the bindings were shot. But, both at the same time?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I like your top three choices. The Konect binding is fine, but I would choose to mount that with a good flat binding. At your portly size, I would step up to a better binding too, Sth2 16, Attack 16, Pivot 18. When buying a better binding, you are buying a better housing, and at your size, you are putting a good amount of stress on the housing.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
TS
Mwsteele

Mwsteele

Skier
I like your top three choices. The Konect binding is fine, but I would choose to mount that with a good flat binding. At your portly size, I would step up to a better binding too, Sth2 16, Attack 16, Pivot 18. When buying a better binding, you are buying a better housing, and at your size, you are putting a good amount of stress on the housing.

"Portly". Lol. Thanks. :)

JimL

Putting on skis
Skier
In terms of binding settings, they are determined by probable bone density based on age, wt and height, to prevent bone fracture. A quick and dirty reading of this published review here: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5385856/

suggests that obese (likely defined by BMI > 30) individuals are at the same or higher risk for bone fracture as normal BMI individuals, due to decreased bone quality, despite the higher weight increasing stress on the bone, which should result in higher bone mass. So, increasing the binding setting for your higher weight is probably not a good idea, in terms of preventing bone fracture, although it may decrease the risk of pre-release.

Sponsor

Staff online