• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

"Adventure" bike tire size help

TS
Ron

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
fwiw- I spoke with some friends and folks I know as well as Moots directly. The Routt can accommodate a 40 (actual, theres 46mm in the stays) without issue in the rear as long as it doesn't have big hobbies.I can run any tireI the front. There plenty of room in front of the tire. I am going with the Routt since there are a bunch of road to gravel rides and the shorter CS makes the bike ride more like a road bike. No one suggested going to the Routt 45 unless I wanted to ride more MTB -like trails. Buff Single track is fine on the Routt too. Although I do follow the "wider is better" thought since its pretty much scientifically proven, the 40 is plenty. Interestingly, The Moots factory person runs 35's including a friend who regularly does multi-day bike pack rides and endurance riding. When he's riding in this area, he runs 35's. those on a 19mm internal wheel will sit at ~37. I think the mindset is that the ~37 gives them the best "feel" over possibly the fastest rolling. I do thing at some point, the sensation of the width can change the overall feel of the bike. Perhaps is a feeling of precision and feedback? It reminds me of how I feel a 78mm ski feels over a 90mm ski?

Last edited:

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I do thing at some point, the sensation of the width can change the overall feel of the bike. Perhaps is a feeling of precision and feedback? It reminds me of how I feel a 78mm ski feels over a 90mm ski?

So true. I run three different sets of wheels/tires on my Procaliber hardtail for various applications, ranging from 38c Bontrager gravel tires to 2.2 Bonty XR1s to 2.4 Bonty XR4/XR3 on wider rims. Each swap gains about 250 or so grams, and it feels like a significantly different bike with each change.

Reactions: Ron
TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
I ordered a set of Nox Composite Citico’s with red CK r45’s and a Easton EC 70 AX bars.

Here she is stock

DF02C7F2-939C-4207-B8CA-D3842CACCC1D.jpeg

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
^^^ Beauty!

I had a set of Nox Teocali mtb wheels for a season as training wheels, then passed them on to a younger (and now faster) team mate for another two seasons.

Not a hiccup.

Those guys know how to build a quality wheel!

Reactions: Ron
TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
Quick update.

The Nox Citico’ wheels with the new Chris king R45 hubs weigh 1449 grams! I am still breaking them in of course but they roll quite nicely. I ended up going with Compass Cycle’s Bon Jon Pass 35 ultra light tires which sit on the 23internal rims at 38.5. The bike weighs just over 19.25 now. These tires roll extremely fast and should be a great choice on our hard pack dirt and gravel. I have only ridden 50miles so far but really like this bike a lot.

Fwiw Here are a few articles on roll resistance and compass cycle tires. They are made by Panaracer. Similar to a gravelKing thread (standard gravel king not sk) but there are some substantial difference such as a 3mm thick center tread. They are not for sharp gravel roads but for most of Colorado hardpack these are excellent.

https://janheine.wordpress.com/2018/01/03/12-myths-in-cycling-1-wider-tires-are-slower/

https://janheine.wordpress.com/2017/06/21/choosing-your-tires/

https://janheine.wordpress.com/2018/01/31/one-of-the-5-fastest-tire-in-the-world/

Sponsor

Staff online