Advanced training available in New Zealand

Discussion in 'Ski School' started by mike_m, Mar 14, 2019.

1. mike_m

mike_m Instructor Skier

For those who have followed my diaries of summer training with the Rookie Academy in New Zealand, here is some info on the courses being offered this summer:

https://www.rookieacademy.com/advanced-ski-instructor-camps/

You need not be an instructor (despite the requirement in the course description), but you do need to be an advanced skier comfortable skiing dynamically on medium-difficulty black runs. The three-week course will cost $4,600 U.S. (We have a great exchange rate.) This includes transportation to and from the airport, a shared condo, transportation to and from Treble Cone, lift tix and coaching. You need to pay for airfare and food. The coaches are some of the best in the world (JF Beaulieu, Tom Gellie, Reilly McGlashan, Jonathan Ballou, etc.). It's definitely some of the best high-level all-terrain coaching available in the world. If interested, I suggest you contact them with any questions and register soon.

Here are the posts I made the past two years describing the experience:

https://www.pugski.com/threads/instructor-training-in-new-zealand.5607/

https://www.pugski.com/threads/focuses-takeaways-from-training-in-new-zealand.11513/

Hope to see you in NZ!

Best!
    Mike

hansking12, Stacks and Mendieta like this.
  2. hansking12

hansking12 At the base lodge Skier

Hi I went last summer and it was certainly valuable and enlightening!

LiquidFeet likes this.
  3. Thread Starter
    TS
    mike_m

mike_m Instructor Skier

Hi, Hansking!

Where are you based during the northern hemisphere winter? Going back to NZ this year?

4. hansking12

hansking12 At the base lodge Skier

Hi Mike! I’m in Southern California! I would love to go back for more training and Rookies seems to draw a lot of collective insight and knowledge from around the world!

Hans

5. Thread Starter
    TS
    mike_m

mike_m Instructor Skier

Hope to see you in August. Let me know if you're ever in my area (Copper Mountain). Love to make some turns with you!

6. Mike King

Mike King AKA Habacomike Instructor

paging @markojp -- Sebastian Michel will be on the faculty this summer for the Rookie Academy!

Wish I a) had the money, b) the time, and c) was recovered to go...

Mike

markojp likes this.
  7. Jilly

Jilly Lead Cougar Skier

Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
    Another powder day I missed at Tremblant..Seb is one of our best!!

8. geepers

geepers Out on the slopes Skier

That's a great bumps clip. Such playful skiing.

In case a,b,c work out there's couple of things I've heard about Rookies. The skiing tuition is great. The organisation not quite as great. If you want to know what's going on Wechat is essential.

9. Thread Starter
    TS
    mike_m

mike_m Instructor Skier

Yep, the coaching is first rate. Scheduled to ski with Tom Gellie, Sebastian Michel, and either Reilly McGlashan or JF Beaulieu this August. No complaints!

I've never had a problem with the organization, but I'm sure there have been instances, as will happen with any endeavor like this. I've always found Dean and Garett to be very responsive to any queries or problems. Everyone signs up to WeChat when they arrive.

Let's see... Loveland next week, then A-Basin until it closes. Anyone coming out? If so, let me know. Let's make some turns!

Best!
    Mike

10. James

James Skiing the powder Instructor

11. Thread Starter
    TS
    mike_m

mike_m Instructor Skier

Funny you mentioned this! I just listened to the first episode this afternoon! (The interview with the Elan ski designer who championed the design of shaped skis). The series is called "Global Skiing." Very fun and informative!

James, you have to come join us down in NZ!

Best!
    Mike

12. geepers

geepers Out on the slopes Skier

Gellie has some excellent interviews in his Global Ski podcasts. Including one with Harold Harb where HH presents a whole different persona to the combative style he often exhibits online. Quite a bit on ski boot fit / alignment. (There's two HH inteviews. The 1st is more informative in IMHO.)

Interviews include: Reilly McGlashan, Paul Lorenz, Jonathan Ballou, Norm Kreutz (legend status in CSIA), Klaus Mair (The Sofia Ski School online gets millions of views for its vids), Richard Berger, Ron Le Master and many other notables.

13. James

James Skiing the powder Instructor

It's not just online.

Anyway, I guess you glossed over the inside foot parts with JF? I didn't listen to his not highness.

I liked LeMasters "no one has ever given me a good reason for the amount of boot board angle" something like that.

14. LiquidFeet

LiquidFeet Making fresh tracks Instructor

@mike_m, looking forward to your report on Rookie Academy this season. You must be back by now.

15. Thread Starter
    TS
    mike_m

mike_m Instructor Skier

Indeed! Got back a few days ago and am putting the finishing touches on the takeaways now. Quite an amazing experience. Got one surprise: JF and Reilly got injured at the end of the season so we got a replacement coach. As many of you know, New Zealand has never had any success in World Cup skiing. Last season, a 16-year-old kiwi named Alice Robinson was the surprise winner of the Junior World Championship in GS. She was invited to ski in the last World Cup GS and finished second to some skier named Shiffrin. Her coach was Tim Cafe. He was our substitute.

In the end, we wound up with Tim Cafe, Tom Gellie and Sebastien Michel.

How lucky can you get?

geepers, LiquidFeet and SkiMore like this.
  16. Mike King

Mike King AKA Habacomike Instructor

Tim is pretty amazing. When he was instructing in Aspen, I had him in a race clinic.

Looking forward to the report!

Mike