• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Advanced training available in New Zealand

mike_m

Instructor
Skier
For those who have followed my diaries of summer training with the Rookie Academy in New Zealand, here is some info on the courses being offered this summer:

https://www.rookieacademy.com/advanced-ski-instructor-camps/

You need not be an instructor (despite the requirement in the course description), but you do need to be an advanced skier comfortable skiing dynamically on medium-difficulty black runs. The three-week course will cost $4,600 U.S. (We have a great exchange rate.) This includes transportation to and from the airport, a shared condo, transportation to and from Treble Cone, lift tix and coaching. You need to pay for airfare and food. The coaches are some of the best in the world (JF Beaulieu, Tom Gellie, Reilly McGlashan, Jonathan Ballou, etc.). It's definitely some of the best high-level all-terrain coaching available in the world. If interested, I suggest you contact them with any questions and register soon.

Here are the posts I made the past two years describing the experience:

https://www.pugski.com/threads/instructor-training-in-new-zealand.5607/

https://www.pugski.com/threads/focuses-takeaways-from-training-in-new-zealand.11513/

Hope to see you in NZ!

Best!
Mike

hansking12

Booting up
Skier
Hi, Hansking!

Where are you based during the northern hemisphere winter? Going back to NZ this year?
Hi Mike! I’m in Southern California! I would love to go back for more training and Rookies seems to draw a lot of collective insight and knowledge from around the world!

Hans

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
paging @markojp -- Sebastian Michel will be on the faculty this summer for the Rookie Academy!

Wish I a) had the money, b) the time, and c) was recovered to go...

Mike

That's a great bumps clip. Such playful skiing.

In case a,b,c work out there's couple of things I've heard about Rookies. The skiing tuition is great. The organisation not quite as great. If you want to know what's going on Wechat is essential.

TS
mike_m

mike_m

Instructor
Skier
Yep, the coaching is first rate. Scheduled to ski with Tom Gellie, Sebastian Michel, and either Reilly McGlashan or JF Beaulieu this August. No complaints!

I've never had a problem with the organization, but I'm sure there have been instances, as will happen with any endeavor like this. I've always found Dean and Garett to be very responsive to any queries or problems. Everyone signs up to WeChat when they arrive.

Let's see... Loveland next week, then A-Basin until it closes. Anyone coming out? If so, let me know. Let's make some turns!

Best!
Mike

TS
mike_m

mike_m

Instructor
Skier
Funny you mentioned this! I just listened to the first episode this afternoon! (The interview with the Elan ski designer who championed the design of shaped skis). The series is called "Global Skiing." Very fun and informative!

James, you have to come join us down in NZ!

Best!
Mike

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
Gellie has some excellent interviews in his Global Ski podcasts. Including one with Harold Harb where HH presents a whole different persona to the combative style he often exhibits online. Quite a bit on ski boot fit / alignment. (There's two HH inteviews. The 1st is more informative in IMHO.)

Interviews include: Reilly McGlashan, Paul Lorenz, Jonathan Ballou, Norm Kreutz (legend status in CSIA), Klaus Mair (The Sofia Ski School online gets millions of views for its vids), Richard Berger, Ron Le Master and many other notables.

James

Out There
Instructor
whole different persona to the combative style he often exhibits online.
It's not just online.

Anyway, I guess you glossed over the inside foot parts with JF? I didn't listen to his not highness.

I liked LeMasters "no one has ever given me a good reason for the amount of boot board angle" something like that.

TS
mike_m

mike_m

Instructor
Skier
Indeed! Got back a few days ago and am putting the finishing touches on the takeaways now. Quite an amazing experience. Got one surprise: JF and Reilly got injured at the end of the season so we got a replacement coach. As many of you know, New Zealand has never had any success in World Cup skiing. Last season, a 16-year-old kiwi named Alice Robinson was the surprise winner of the Junior World Championship in GS. She was invited to ski in the last World Cup GS and finished second to some skier named Shiffrin. Her coach was Tim Cafe. He was our substitute.

In the end, we wound up with Tim Cafe, Tom Gellie and Sebastien Michel.

How lucky can you get?

Sponsor

Staff online