• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Advanced Intermediate Ski Advice for the Big & Tall

aliebe

Booting up
Skier
Greetings Pugskiers!

Background....39yr old, 6'4 & roughly 235 give or take the number tacos and beers I had the night before. I'm mostly in the Pocono's but do venture around. Currently on Rossi E88 Basalts @ 180. Groomers for now, but want to expand my horizons.

In addition to lessons, I'm looking for that tool to help push me to that next level. But herein lies my confusion.

Would I be better served by going with something like the Blizzard Quattro 8.0ti to improve or can I just stick with something like my E88, only longer with greater stiffness? No matter what, I want something that has a high top end, but at the same time has no problem being in cruise control. Budget is tight and I love closeout deals.

Let me know if you need more info.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
You and I are about the same size. I am an expert skier, but the skis on this thread I started are worth looking at for you. If I had to pick one ski to recommend, it would be the Nordica Navigator 85 in the 186cm length. It is not as much of a high performance carver as an all arounder type ski, I believe. I will be taking a look at it, but I am leaning more to the high performance carver type ski. The Fischer Pro Mtn in 186 would be another ski. There are plenty of high performance carvers to choose from on the list as well.

https://www.pugski.com/threads/look...england-daily-driver-hard-snow-edition.14059/

TS
A

aliebe

Booting up
Skier
I appreciate everyone's advice. Was thinking the mid-80's might ultimately be that sweetspot. You think Kendos, Brahmas and others of that ilk are over my head? Don't mind a challenge, but don't want to be miserable either. I would demo, but its rather difficult and expensive to do around here.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Kendo, Brahma fine for advanced intermediate. It depends on your level for the more race like skis, such as the Fischer THE CURVE, and the K2 Super Charger. You also have to factor in are skis strictly for groomers (K2 Super Charger) or all mtn. If you are a true advanced intermediate, and "clyde" you should be on a expert level ski, just be cautious about World Cup race skis.

TS
A

aliebe

Booting up
Skier
If you are a true advanced intermediate

Which brings up a whole 'nother set of questions/issues. I could be anything from a beginner to an expert depending upon which scale you read. I have a lesson next Sat. That should shed some light on where I truly stand and help guide this decision.

Brahma also has a CA version if you prefer a softer option.

The Bushwacker/Brahma CA is on my radar, but think I will end up in the same situation of seeking something with metal in a relatively short period of time. I know I can sell them, but its a bit of a PITA.

Thanks again for everyone's input.

:beercheer:

Last edited:

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
The Bushwacker/Brahma CA is on my radar, but think I will end up in the same situation of seeking something with metal in a relatively short period of time. I know I can sell them, but its a bit of a PITA.

Thanks again for everyone's input.

:beercheer:

I have both the carbon & regular Brahma and I like both, just different. I’ve been using the carbons in the trees and I find them easier to control in those conditions, but I like the regular Brahma slightly better on ice/hard pack.

There are some used Brahma SP’s with bindings on eBay for $179, I’m not sure what sizes are available, but might be a good deal to use for a year or two.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January