• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Adelboden M GS

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
1st kicks off in about an hour. Also a classic hill where things are going on all the time. Fairly fast set by the italian coach. Proper winter now.

Last edited:
TS
Swede

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
2:nd coming up, a little flat light made the many waves, rollers and pitch changes of AB a challenge. Great surface. Pretty much similar (straight) set as first, little turnier in some places. Great to see Mattias Rönngren strike from bib 56 to 23 and a 2:nd run :golfclap:

Fog delays start.

Last edited:

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Just watched run 1. Continue to be impressed by Tommy Ford, luv how he stays ahead of the course. Looks relaxed & confident even with a few mistakes. After a butt slide & big stivot in run 1, still well within striking distance for a possible podium.
Going skiing now, will watch run 2 when I get home.
image.jpeg

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Stupid live sports broadcasts.... with the delay, I didn't come close to recording the whole thing (missed the final 9 skiers), even though I've got the DVR set to record more than the slated broadcast time. D'oh! :doh:

On another note, I wish all of the FIS races had some nice overview info on the course and location. I found this Adelboden page, which is cool. I know a few others have this kind of stuff, but sometimes it's hard to find.

https://www.weltcup-adelboden.ch/en/Info/Race/Race_course

And here's what that looks like on Hillmap :

upload_2019-1-12_10-48-16.png

Bolder

Out on the slopes
Skier
Since spoilers are now OK==> that was one rugged course: technical, rutted, icy, steep, rolling...had it all. I actually felt bad for Kristo after Hirscher blitzed the second run. Hirscher was carrying so much speed that he launched off the final bump almost over the finish line. Tommy Ford...what's gotten into him this year? He's looking world class. And, Pinturault had one of the tidiest saves you'll ever see to finish fourth (I think?). He was on his hip and somehow popped up on his edge, only lost 0.4 seconds...

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Ford not quite as clean in the 2nd. Marcel gives another WOW :eek: .

19F0DF2B-2B15-474E-A862-2A15A28FE861.jpeg

Ivan

Out on the slopes
Skier
Pretty impressive skiing from Marco Schwarz today. Had bib #67, was 14th in the first run, jumped to 7th after the second run. Was second-fastest after Hirscher in the second run. He has had some very good results recently. I am curious to see if this may be his breakthrough season.

Bolder

Out on the slopes
Skier
Pretty impressive skiing from Marco Schwarz today. Had bib #67, was 14th in the first run, jumped to 7th after the second run. Was second-fastest after Hirscher in the second run. He has had some very good results recently. I am curious to see if this may be his breakthrough season.

nerves today for Schwarz in SL?

James

Out There
Instructor
Stupid live sports broadcasts.... with the delay, I didn't come close to recording the whole thing (missed the final 9 skiers), even though I've got the DVR set to record more than the slated broadcast time. D'oh! :doh:

On another note, I wish all of the FIS races had some nice overview info on the course and location. I found this Adelboden page, which is cool. I know a few others have this kind of stuff, but sometimes it's hard to find.

https://www.weltcup-adelboden.ch/en/Info/Race/Race_course

And here's what that looks like on Hillmap :
View attachment 62683
God I don't get that info. Just useless to me. At least this graphic makes sense and has easily accessible info on it:

IMG_5785.JPG

http://www.lauberhorn.com/en/Rennen/overview/downhill

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
View attachment 62683
God I don't get that info. Just useless to me.

The Hillmap graph is actually showing almost exactly the same info as the graphic you posted. The Hillmap top blue graph is the slope profile and elevation. The bottom red graph is how many degrees the slope is along the line I traced. If you took the average of sections of the red graph, and wrote those numbers along the blue graph, you'd have a very similar graphic to the one you attached for Wengen.

That said, I wish we got graphs like that Wengen one for every race. Sometimes I try to find them and trace them on Hillmap, but it's not always clear where the racecourse goes.

James

Out There
Instructor
The Hillmap graph is actually showing almost exactly the same info as the graphic you posted. The Hillmap top blue graph is the slope profile and elevation. The bottom red graph is how many degrees the slope is along the line I traced. If you took the average of sections of the red graph, and wrote those numbers along the blue graph, you'd have a very similar graphic to the one you attached for Wengen.

That said, I wish we got graphs like that Wengen one for every race. Sometimes I try to find them and trace them on Hillmap, but it's not always clear where the racecourse goes.
There's useful displays and not so useful. Hillmap is not so useful. Requires too much brain shift. A table of numbers would be as useful.

Napolean's March into and retreat from Russia, 1812. Width indicates troop numbers. Black is retreat.
IMG_5786.GIF

Charles Minard

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
There's useful displays and not so useful. Hillmap is not so useful. Requires too much brain shift. A table of numbers would be as useful.

Napolean's March into and retreat from Russia, 1812. Width indicates troop numbers. Black is retreat.
View attachment 62852
Charles Minard
Personally I don't see hillmap as any less useful than the Wengen graphic, and much better than just tables of numbers. But I'm a big hillmap fan. And combined with a real pic of the course like for Adelboden it tells me a lot.

Perhaps drawing some lines and looking at the slope profiles makes it "click" more.

Sponsor