• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Actors/actresses that never really floated your boat

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
As an adult over decades have seen far fewer movies than most, especially in the last couple decades. And TV, haven't had cable tv in over 2 decades and almost never watch fictional tv shows other than scifi. Not because they would not be entertaining but rather because I prefer to fill my life with other things. Thus all the famous tv shows since the 80s nope though that does not mean I dismiss their talent. I would not be able to recognize many current supposed famous actors though would recognize their names merely from news headlines.

Actors play characters so much is about the type of characters they effectively play that will affect how one feels about them. Thus popular TV shows where I disliked the social setting/environment would also likely dislike those playing the rolls maybe because they reminded me of people with personalities I did not like or the fact critics and fans loved them. Generally I find it difficult to not like women with attractive faces while disliking simpleton comedy that tends to be common on TV shows. So most actors I don't like tend to be comedians especially those from situation comedy TV shows I disliked. As an example, enjoy Tim Allen in Home Improvement, disliked John Ritter in Three's Company.

A list of 1000 famous actors:

Last edited:

Shawn C.

Out on the slopes
Skier
Julia Roberts for me. She seems unemotional in most of her roles. Just not as great an actor as she’s made out to be.

Jim Carey (exception for The Truman Show).

Adam Sandler is an un-funny hack with no acting ability.

Phelmut

German for Northeasterner
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Julia Roberts for me. She seems unemotional in most of her roles. Just not as great an actor as she’s made out to be.

Jim Carey (exception for The Truman Show).

Adam Sandler is an un-funny hack with no acting ability.
Say what you want about Julia Roberts, but she certainly is no actor.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Say what you want about Julia Roberts, but she certainly is no actor.
Well "actor" is properly used for either sex these days.

Or maybe I misunderstood, and your comment was just a scathing take on her acting ability. :ogbiggrin:

James

Out There
Instructor
Whoopi Goldberg.
While you’re staying at home... Look up the Law and Order Criminal intent where she plays a foster mom/modern Ma Barker. It’s pretty good.

You've never seen The Godfather? Wow.
I believe it. I have a friend, well into her 40’s, who’s never seen the Godfather or any Star Wars. Never let her forget it. I may have to stage an intervention, but I’m loathe to despoil the viewing with a “meh” reaction.
Btw, I read the book many years ago, well after seeing the movie. As I recall, all the characters are exactly like the book, it’s amazing. Except...Michael’s wife. There’s no conflict like Diane Keaton has with him.

Btw 2, Al Pacino in Scarface was great.

Going to throw out William Shatner.
Except in Boston Legal he was hilarious. He’s good at making fun of himself.

Oh....
You’ve got to pick one for the bad list-
Chuck Norris
or
Steven Seagal ?

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Going to throw out William Shatner.
Except in Boston Legal he was hilarious. He’s good at making fun of himself.

Not sure he was hilarious in Judgment at Nuremberg - but he was a lot younger then.

That movie reminds me of how often I resent Burt Lancaster for phoning it in - Zulu Dawn comes instantly to mind.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Michael Douglas! Always plays some rich, overly privileged @sshole we're supposed to sympathize with.

Wasn't he a cop in that movie where that chick in white did the spready of the century?

Also, Falling Down was pretty neat methinks.

Otherwise:

Matthew Mcconaughey-I just cant believe this guy. The smugness is off the chart.
Meryl Streep-vastly overrated.
Eddie Murphy is a one trick pony, although his stand-up comedy performances are pure gold.

Kristen Stewart-this chick is King Midas in reverse-everything she touches, turns to s*it.

That fat chick from the girls version of Ghostbusters-whatever her name is-same character again and again and again...ad nauseam-OK, you are fat but your heart is in the right place and we are supposed to love you for that, OK, WE GET IT! Just stop already!

Tom Cruise-his smugness overshadows even that of Matthew's.

And the list goes on.....man, the list of actors I like is infinitely shorter that that of the ones I don't...

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Many actors seem to play the same type of roll and if you don't like that type of character, you probably won't like that actor. Some directors work with the same group of actors and make very similar types of films, so if you don't like that type of film you won't like the actors in that film.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Many actors seem to play the same type of roll and if you don't like that type of character, you probably won't like that actor. Some directors work with the same group of actors and make very similar types of films, so if you don't like that type of film you won't like the actors in that film.
Hugh Grant. I mean, I like that role...but yeah..not really stretching as an actor really, right?? Goofy romantic guy.. He needs to play Hannibal Lecter..that'll get him out there a bit more. :ogbiggrin:

ksampson3

Giving 80% effort 100% of the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hugh Grant. I mean, I like that role...but yeah..not really stretching as an actor really, right?? Goofy romantic guy.. He needs to play Hannibal Lecter..that'll get him out there a bit more.
Watch "Florence Foster Jenkins" and "Paddington 2" - nominated for multiple Best Actor awards for both movies. He seems to have ditched the goofy, romantic comedy roles recently. Believe it or not, he was excellent in Paddington 2.

Am I actually defending Hugh Grant? Man, I need to get back to work. I have wayyy too much time on my hands.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I did think Hugh was fantastic is Love Actually. I am looking forward to seeing The Gentlemen which also is a departure from his goofy romantic roles.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Hugh Grant. I mean, I like that role...but yeah..not really stretching as an actor really, right?? Goofy romantic guy.. He needs to play Hannibal Lecter..that'll get him out there a bit more. :ogbiggrin:

He's certainly got more range than apparent - A Very English Scandal and Rowing with the Wind prove it. The mid-90's 'Euro Puddings'* are probably better as showcases for unknowns than anything else.

*Grant's term for those movies, not mine.

EDIT: Anyone else think Edward Ferrars should be played as being on the autism spectrum?

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Denise Crosby in star trek... ouch.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
He's certainly got more range than apparent - A Very English Scandal and Rowing with the Wind prove it. The mid-90's 'Euro Puddings'* are probably better as showcases for unknowns than anything else.

*Grant's term for those movies, not mine.

EDIT: Anyone else think Edward Ferrars should be played as being on the autism spectrum?
Oh I think he has the range..I just think he kinda fell into typecasting..hey, pays the bills nicely, can't complain!

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Denise Crosby in star trek... ouch.
Haha. I am on the process of binge watching ST:TNG and is is bad enough that she was in the fist season as Tasha, the producers doubled down to bring her back later on as her back later on (Season 5) as her own half Romulan daughter. She is no Jeri Ryan.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January