• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Action Camera Quick Release - project Pack21

pack21

La vita è bella, non sprecarla.
Skier
Hello everyone,

I would like to share my project that I have in progress, in order to facilitate the use of Action Cameras in skiing.

Because I had this idea:

- Gloves do not work well with the Action cameras connectors
- The Action Cameras stop working after a prolonged exposure to very low temperatures, and the only solution is to keep them inside the jacket, put, remove, put back. ...
- Many accessories are only mounted with screws, once again the problem of gloves, put, remove, put back
- In summary, the current connection systems are not the most suitable for skiing, both because of their variety and because of the difficulty of handling them with gloves.

With the idea that came to me, with a single connector mounted on the Action camera, I get with gloves, place the camera where I want, in just 1 click .... for all this, I only used hose connectors for irrigation, silicone gun hot, 1 screw or another, to reinforce some assemblies, as I used in the ski pole, and there is a bit of imagination, to place where you want, helmet, poles, skis, pulse, backpack, bike handlebar, snowboards, surfboard, etc...... etc .. ..

I hope you like it, and that it is useful to some of you.

Below photos, of a tiny part of everything that is possible, and as you can see, only 1 female connector in the camera, and the male connectors where you want ... then it is only to enjoy with 1 click of placed gloves.

PS: forgive my bad English. hug from Portugal

Sharing some love, for gloves haters like me.......:beercheer:

Click! Clack! is our friend....:hail:

xe3fNg0.jpg

Lbz08xL.jpg

kt3J13n.jpg

t0EMVED.jpg

2Ktjojn.jpg

gyaZ3wD.jpg

Qd7UuOi.jpg

WKu6O8F.jpg

ePHztVQ.jpg

R4IhrzY.jpg

pYswdrO.jpg

eVNi1Ul.jpg

Adhesive 3M

O3sQ1wC.jpg

i9tyjVn.jpg

dT8tnxz.jpg

pZ14qEy.jpg

ALMMaTg.jpg

BgRXpRj.jpg

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
How is the vibration isolation?

TS
pack21

pack21

Skier
How is the vibration isolation?

Hi,

If you are referring to the ski connector, i will only use it to take sequential photos, i'm aware that it isn't a good panorama for video, as the location and vibration of the ski can put the camera at risk. As for the rest is like the Go Pro connectors, I don't feel any more slack than a Go Pro connector, they seem pretty firm.

Thursday, I'm going skiing and i can draw more reliable conclusions about everything, functionality and image quality.......This idea only came to me a week after I got tired of putting the camera out my helmet to warm it up inside my jacket. It was very cold, and after a few minutes it went off, if the camera was in the helmet for a long time...... During the night, I thought about it, and this came to me, and at the same time I solved other things that annoyed me.

Last edited:

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Seems like a useful product. How about posting some action video with the quick release in use as well as video showing attaching and releasing the device?

TS
pack21

pack21

Skier
Seems like a useful product. How about posting some action video with the quick release in use as well as video showing attaching and releasing the device?

Thx, this isn't a product, it is a simple modding DiY, using normal garden watering connectors and some parts of Action cameras mounts, to
make the use of Action Cameras more hand friendly in the act of skiing with gloves, I think it may also be practical in other sports.

For example, my "glove connector" for me is fantastic, even though the gloves have the wristband to let them go, we're not going to pee or take coffee like that, putting wet gloves inside the jacket is also bad, sometimes I've been to lose the gloves because of this, which now will hardly ever happen.

Videos, maybe when my friend receives his camera that has a issue and ask him to shoot the functionality of Quick Release, but you know, when we are in the snow we don't want to waste much time except to skiing, but I will try on Thursday when i go skiing, record the functionality of all thing with my smartphone..... :)

Last edited:

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
Nice solution to taking pictures without removing gloves, fishing the camera from the jacket pocket, removing the pole straps .... and reversing when done. I like it.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
Definitely inventive use of garden hose accessories :) Looks funny, but it's super cool idea. I hope you didn't put some world wide copyright protection to it, as I have feeling I'm stealing it :)

TS
pack21

pack21

Skier
Definitely inventive use of garden hose accessories :) Looks funny, but it's super cool idea. I hope you didn't put some world wide copyright protection to it, as I have feeling I'm stealing it :)

ehehehe .....I didn't, i do it for fun and to share with the snow addicts like me. Obviously if someone wants to manufacture and market the idea, I wish they had some love for me.

You can make my DiY idea with freedom if you feel it will be useful. :)

Freaq

Pretends to be local
Skier
Cool solutions to first world problems:thumb:

TS
pack21

pack21

Skier
Just make shure to use good garden , PVC are better, not suffering degradation with the sun and ice, than cheapest hoses make from recycled plastic.

I've been using garden hoses from CLABER and TATAY ...... and I'm beginning notice some differences between them:

- For the female connector for camera mount both CLABER and TATAY are good, but to weld the mount, the hose of the CLAVER is easier because it is wider inside, after cutting the base.
- For the male hose i think TATAY are better because they have more resistance when attached to female hose.... I'm still studying the reason for this. With the male TATAY, the fixation with the hose female doesn't move anything, zero, whereas with the male CLABER forcing it, there is noticed a millimeter clearance.

Concluded, when buy the hoses, of the marks you have at your disposal, test the different types they have available, and choose those that you feel more firmly connect, as i said back to @Philpug, for me mines connectors seems as firm as the Go Pro mounts.

For now i'm using hot silicone, for the quickness of being able to make the connectors for testing, obviously a more definitive solution would be to use other types of welding such as Epoxy past 2 components, mastics and similar, just make sure they are good adhesives at low and high temperatures.

when i do it again more connectors, that my friends are asking me, I'll try to take a series of photos of the process, but anyone with a hand to DiY will easily understand how i did the things.

Last edited:
TS
pack21

pack21

Skier

It was not on Thursday, but today I could ski, and I took 2 minutes of my happy time skiing to make you a simple video.

I can tell you, it worked wonderfully, my problems with changing the position of the camera, and shutdown due to the cold was solved.

Also look at some photos that I could easily take, and pack the camera in the jacket quickly ( no more shutdown issue), it was very cold and snowing.....The videos did very well, too.

Shooting us, with the remote on the my wrist Quick Release, and the camera on the pole Quick Release too. stuck in the snow, really good, when we are alone, no?
xkXOmqJ.jpg

Shooting us, with the remote on my wrist Quick Release, and the camera on pole Quick Release too.
uc7AlFn.jpg

Shooting myself, with the remote, cool
UQ9UygV.jpg

Last edited:
TS
pack21

pack21

Skier
Always trying to improve my system ..... I can't longer shoot without it. It's a shame i don't have a Hero Session, because it would be a treat (I don't understand why they discontinue the Hero Session)
q1Kf7h1.jpg

Fsmaxs4.jpg

avXuaaM.jpg

TS
pack21

pack21

Skier
Well i'm not satisfied with having to carry the Action Camera dedicated stick in my backpack (more take it out, get inside and weight), so today i decided to trade it by putting a male hose on the ski pole, i give somelight on how i did it.

n3YQ2bz.jpg

NmwqK5d.jpg

XIRLCFM.jpg

y8lGhc8.jpg

zRQwT2b.jpg

nCdxjBu.jpg

Last edited:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I didn't know Shrek skied.

TS
pack21

pack21

Skier
I didn't know Shrek skied.
What do you mean by that comment, should i understand as an offense and a lack of respect for me, or was it a lapse on your part?

If it is really an offense, as an administrator of this forum you should be the first to respect his rules.

I participate in a lot of forums, and many years, it is the first time that i see an administrator treating a user like you did.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
What do you mean by that comment, should i understand as an offense and a lack of respect for me, or was it a lapse on your part?

If it is really an offense, as an administrator of this forum you should be the first to respect his rules.

I participate in a lot of forums, and many years, it is the first time that i see an administrator treating a user like you did.
It was the greening out of the face...it was a joke, sorry you took offense.

TS
pack21

pack21

Skier
It was the greening out of the face...it was a joke, sorry you took offense.
Okay, understood, but such a short comment without any content, it takes anyone the misunderstanding to be derogatory.

:)

Sponsor