• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Aces Ski Camp - Alta

Decreed_It

I'd rather be skiing
Skier
Out of the Peruvian.

I think this was an actually relevant Instagram ad presented to me. Inquired about further info, it's tempting, albeit a bit pricey "looking" but digging in might be worth it, not sure yet.
https://www.altaperuvian.com/aces-ski-camp/

Definitely more than say Taos Ski Camp which I'm also heavily considering for birthday week (OK, I celebrate birth month, I admit it) this year.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Out of the Peruvian.

I think this was an actually relevant Instagram ad presented to me. Inquired about further info, it's tempting, albeit a bit pricey "looking" but digging in might be worth it, not sure yet.
https://www.altaperuvian.com/aces-ski-camp/

Definitely more than say Taos Ski Camp which I'm also heavily considering for birthday week (OK, I celebrate birth month, I admit it) this year.

It is pricey, but not totally absurd given that it includes a room, and the Peruvian is never cheap. Aces is $2,443 for 4 nights of lodging and meals and 3 days of camp. A room by itself (including meals) is around $400/night. (Not clear if that is comparing apples to apples for double occupancy vs not.)

For comparison, the 4 day JHMR Steep and Deep Camp is $1,735 Lesson & Lift, or $1,415 Lesson only.

Does make Taos look cheap, doesn't it?

TS
Decreed_It

Decreed_It

I'd rather be skiing
Skier
It does indeed @mdf - part of my inquiry is back. Does NOT include lift tickets or lunch on the mountain. Alta 4 of 5 is ~$375 - so there's that. Offered 15% off regular double rate before/after so about $550/night for 2 (split the cost in half). Waiting to hear back on details of the group size max and instruction - I'd expect it to be a small group all day off trail workshop (which I love at Alta - to me, best bang for the buck). Those are $95 plus gratuity, 1:30-3:30 +/-. I've usually skied down to the school with the instructor and saw them off with a tip around 4+.

Right now I'm not seeing it. Maybe the ski instruction info will make it pencil out. Dunno.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
Another camp to consider: Jennifer Simpson runs a camp at Loveland in November. It is 6 days. Includes: coaching, housing, lift tickets. Under $2K. Your coaches are current / former PSIA D-Team and national team coaches. It is six days of drills, and evening chalk talks with some of the best in the industry.

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
So they are collecting roughly $5K per room (double occupancy)? And no lift tickets. That seems pricey to me.

TS
Decreed_It

Decreed_It

I'd rather be skiing
Skier
So they are collecting roughly $5K per room (double occupancy)? And no lift tickets. That seems pricey to me.

Seems that way to me too. All in you're at $2818 for three full camp ski days, not including gratuity for the instructors. Me AND a buddy can do a full Ski Week at Taos, all in (room, board, lift, class) for that.

I think I'd rather stay at GMD, and do an off trail workshop 1-2 days, and maybe the early bird access if there's a powder AM. For a good bit less. Maybe I'm not their target market though, hard to say. Skied Alta the most of all my western skiing over the years, definitely haven't skied all of it, yet, but I add new territory every year.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Danny from Ottowa told me about Extremely Canadian. He enjoyed it and recommended it. Not sure what his Pugski screen name is.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I've done 3 Jackson Hole Steep and Deep camps and 2 Taos Ski weeks. I'll share my thoughts sometime when I'm not supposed to be working.

Tony

tseeb
Skier
I believe @Tony took Extremely Canadian lessons. Was it this camp?
Extremely Canadian is who I skied with on my first trip to Whistler in 2016. Since I was solo, I think it was worth the approximately US$350 plus tip to get safely shown some of the steeps, but think I received more navigation that skiing tips. We mostly worked on importance of tipping in to overcome natural tendency to lean back when dropping into steeps. I don't think I received their best product due to less than optimal group split on first day and having coach a little hungover after company party that night. I was able to use some of the knowledge I gained to get others including Gatherers in 2017 and my son in 2018 into some of lines off back of the two T-bars at top of Blackcomb and Couloir Extreme. More info at http://www.firsttracksonline.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12064

Ski&ride

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
I believe @Tony took Extremely Canadian lessons. Was it this camp?
Yes. He really pushed it to anyone who will listen.

But my impression is he’s in it mostly to be shown the lines one wouldn’t find on one’s own. Like tseeb, all he talked about are dropping in on steeps.

Assuming that’s what you have in mind for lessons.

Last edited:

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
Best Ski Camps

There are different camps depending on what you are after. Some are very technical and focused on skills development (i.e. turn mechanics). Others are more of a guided tour of 'gnar' at a resort and deal more with tactics, reading terrain versus mechanics of turning.

TS
Decreed_It

Decreed_It

I'd rather be skiing
Skier
There are different camps depending on what you are after. Some are very technical and focused on skills development (i.e. turn mechanics). Others are more of a guided tour of 'gnar' at a resort and deal more with tactics, reading terrain versus mechanics of turning.

I like both. Good to have 1st hand reports from folks who have attended each kind (and in between).

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
@Tony sounds just like tseeb (epicski) because they both talk out of the same mouth.

Right.

And to make it even more confusing, there was yet another Tony involved with discussing that outfit here (and/or on Epic). Not me.

Sponsor

Staff online