• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Acclaimed backcountry skier Andrew McLean faces charges

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
This thread(as well as waking up to a cool morning breeze) has made me hungry for venison stew. Mmmmmmm
Its been too long since I've had venison to make my grandma's stew.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Company that I worked for would remove hunting stands from our power poles. Right of way supervisor would leave a stern letter of warning attached to the stand and leave it on the ground at the bottom of the pole.

Love when my hunting friends share the rewards.
I can understand that.
I can't imagine why a hunter would use a power pole for a stand. :huh:

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
I can understand that.
I can't imagine why a hunter would use a power pole for a stand. :huh:

Easy "tree" to attach stand too. No branches to shoot through. Usually has nice sight lines. Just speculating.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Easy "tree" to attach stand too. No branches to shoot through. Usually has nice sight lines. Just speculating.
I thought one of the reasons to use a tree stand for bow season was to be camouflaged. Not easy to do on a power pole.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
I thought one of the reasons to use a tree stand for bow season was to be camouflaged. Not easy to do on a power pole.
It depends. :)

A power pole through woods would have a small clearing all around it. Very easy to see the deer when they come out of woods to eat the grass.

Deer are very curious. Don't get a spooked as one might think. Especially does.

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

Maybe one of these...

26056776-7825-477A-A509-5B03FAABE400.jpeg

Jack skis

Ex 207cm VR17 Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have long read of Andrew McLean and his mountaineering and skiing accomplishments. I have also admired him for those accomplishments, his work in the industry, and for being on what I consider to be the right side of the ledger as far as ecology goes, I first read of his adventures on Denali back in the days of dial-up internet. Apparently he has now been caught in a mistake, and will pay some price for his actions. I'll still give him credit for past deeds and contributions to mountaineering, back country skiing, and ecological awareness.

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Forget that this is a deer blind...he distroyed/stole someone else's property.
Bingo. This is the crux of the issue.

IApparently he has now been caught in a mistake, and will pay some price for his actions.
Nope. He's been caught in a crime. Overseasoning dinner is a mistake. Taking something that doesn't belong to you is a crime.

For the record, that doesn't take away from his accomplishments.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
There are a few things I take away from that news piece.
  • They allegedly have done this more than once, probably in the interest of saving wildlife from hunters (I said probably ;) )
  • Based on the quote by the hunter, the blinds were not set up for long and they were preparing for their hunting season with a legal tag, within legal limitations

Quote from hunter:
His 9-year-old daughter was looking forward to bow hunting with her dad but Roberts said it may be another year or two before that happens.

“It might be next year if I draw a tag," Roberts said. "That’s the whole gamble in Utah, you have to put in an application to hunt and its based on a lottery system, and sometimes you draw out and sometimes you do not. So, I was not able to draw out last year so, and I did this year and so, it had been two years and my daughter really wanted to hunt last year but we didn’t get any tags so this year we did and she’s really excited to be able to get out there and learn and, but unfortunately, we kind of got robbed of that. Pun intended I guess, I don’t know.”

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
The guy is a dirt bag. messing with other peoples stuff.

Cut his lines, see how he falls.

Different strokes for different folks. His way is not right!

Last edited by a moderator:

StuckonI70

Getting on the lift
Skier
They were all 15+ mi from the nearest trailhead when I saw them. Carrying big packs. Had been stalking elk for a couple of days over serious mileage mostly above 10K feet. And all were bow hunting. Since it is was a wilderness area, no game carts. You carry out anything you hunt.

As someone who was carrying a lightweight setup and doing similar mileage, I was impressed.

Haha...this one cracks me up.

15 miles in (pretty hard to do in CO!) and they're backpacking out an elk? I put those odds at zero, unless you have horses at the ready.
Have these clowns even seen how big a quartered elk is? It can be 250+ pounds of meat, never mind the head & antlers.
I've packed out two bulls in the last three years, both within 3 miles of the truck, and it is no small feat!

These "serious bad asses" don't stand a chance.

UGASkiDawg

AKA David
SkiTalk Tester

15 miles in (pretty hard to do in CO!) and they're backpacking out an elk? I put those odds at zero, unless you have horses at the ready.
Have these clowns even seen how big a quartered elk is? It can be 250+ pounds of meat, never mind the head & antlers.
I've packed out two bulls in the last three years, both within 3 miles of the truck, and it is no small feat!

Incorrect...I've done it in my younger years....12 miles in and 12 miles out Two people can haul out a big bull in two trips...three if you want the full head instead of just the horns, Just because you can't/won't do it doesn't mean people don't. That being said...

I no longer hunt big game because I prefer to spend October sitting in a duck blind with my best friend.
Best Friend.jpg

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Incorrect...I've done it in my younger years....12 miles in and 12 miles out Two people can haul out a big bull in two trips...three if you want the full head instead of just the horns, Just because you can't/won't do it doesn't mean people don't. That being said...

I no longer hunt big game because I prefer to spend October sitting in a duck blind with my best friend. View attachment 53285

Hi Charlie!

StuckonI70

Getting on the lift
Skier

I no longer hunt big game because I prefer to spend October sitting in a duck blind with my best friend. View attachment 53285

That's 72-96 miles in ~3 days, half with significant weight on your back, and the reasonable assumption that you are bringing out your camping gear in a separate trip. Also depends if you are taking the bare minimum of meat or picking it clean.

To act like that is doable for 99% of the population is bullshit.

Last edited:

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
- These people were fitter than 99% of the population.
- These dudes were working as a group. I assume if one got one, they'd be helping carry the goods.
- These dudes did it every year, lived in the area, and had a plan. Had trucks stashed at three different trailheads in three different basins so they could go to nearest exit. When I met them we were all hanging out at a 12.5k pass as they crossed between basins.

So yeah. I think they know what they were doing.

Last edited:
Reactions: TPJ

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@StuckonI70 No one said it was doable for 99% of the population.
In fact the term used was badass.
I know a lot of hunters, but I only know a couple who do that. Those guys are indeed badass.

StuckonI70

Getting on the lift
Skier
They should get some horses and save themselves the effort.
Still not buying it, but whatever.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)

Unless they really are bad asses.

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
My wife's little brother and a partner packed a moose out something like three miles of swampland to a canoe and then paddled across a lake to their camp. Three trips to get all the meat plus the head and hide. Of course, they were barely above sea level in Canada. He's quite fit from years of cutting/hauling/splitting firewood when he wasn't working as a mechanic. Says he will not be going back to hunt moose in that setting now that he's retired and walking on bilateral knee replacements.