• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

AbsoluteBLACK Goes Graphene..... but will you part with your $?

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
A new lube featuring Graphene for only $149.00 for 4oz.....

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
"But will you part with your money?"

Haha. You have to even ask? Be sure to let us know if it's any good and if you know of any discount codes that save 5%.

princo

Getting off the lift
Skier
That price is nuts. I have seen some other lube testing where there were others producing less than 5 watt loses already. This season I have been using Squirt lube, which is also wax based, and I've been impressed. The bike is silent and the chain stays very clean. And I thought Squirt at $15 was expensive, so no, I will not part with my money.

Found it: Here are the independent tests for some lubes. A few years old though. If anyone has more recent data, would like to see it.
https://www.ceramicspeed.com/media/3505/velonews-friction-facts-chain-lube-tests-combined.pdf

*Note: Based on the above data, Del Papa Extra Virgin Olive Oil came out 5 of 55 for efficiency! You can get 16oz for about $6.

Last edited:
TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
theres a whole thread on that. I use muck-off ceramic. its been great. it dries nicely and doesnt cake up

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
theres a whole thread on that. I use muck-off ceramic. its been great. it dries nicely and doesnt cake up
You're going to love the muck-off black edition when it comes out next year. I've been given early access to it for testing as a social media influencer and all-around professional level athlete.

Trust me, if you like it now the more premium muck-off ceramic black will literally blow your socks off.

Reactions: Ron
TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
FWIW- I tried the squirt but wasn't impressed with our road and riding conditions. too much fine silt/sand stuck to the chain. YMMV.

Last edited:

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Diminishing returns - no thanks. Seems like someone wants to part a fool with his or her money.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hi, I'm Tom, and I have a lube problem.

I'd probably try it at the stupid price of $50, but at $150 I'm out!

I've got some favorites I won't bore "normal" people with, but I also just ordered a bottle of Smoove for kicks.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
I certainly won't. In winter I saw one video from one Australian guy and decided to try this myself this season. Normal paraffin wax which you melt, dip chain into it and repeat every 300-500km. As chains are relatively cheap if this wouldn't really work, I decided to try. Now I'm into some 2000km and 40.000m of ascend with my mtb, and chain is still like brand new. I measure it way more often then I normally did, but for now, it's still up to 0.01mm same length as it was out of box. Not to mention there's no dirt at all. Cassette is so clean as it has never been, chain has absolutely no dirt on, and cleaning bike nowadays mean just washing dust and mud off the bike, no hassle with oil and dirt on chainrings and chain :)
So for now, I'm so impressed with this, that I don't think on going anywhere near chain lubes I have been using until now. And 1kg of paraffin wax was something like 15eur, not to mention, you can reuse wax many times, so with 1kg I'm probably good for decade or more :)

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
^^^ Love the paraffin idea @Primoz but probably too lazy. Plus, all the cool kids use this stuff called Molten Speed Wax which is NOT cheap.

I got my Smoove. They do the usual song and dance of nearly every lube maker: Our lube is so special you must clean your chain in a special manner before using it blah, blah, blah.

I was ready to do that until I realized that they want you to go through that rigorous cleaning process every single time you reapply the stuff. Argh!

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
I'm sure they want you to throw their paraffin away after each use too, otherwise they would be selling very little of stuff, even though it's super expensive. Not to mention all this additives stuff is BS. Teflon, which is additive in question is simply too big to get in proper place, so only paraffin come to there, and teflon remains on top of chain, where does pretty much nothing. So at least at the moment, I'm happy with plain paraffin, which is extremely cheap, and for now it looks like it's working perfectly. But I agree I'm lucky enough I don't have friends where I would need to brag with price of chain lubricant :D
Anyway... for me, I cleaned chain when it was new (first gasoline, then degreaser, then water). For every new lubrication, I just drag it through cloth rag, or wash it under running water, if it's muddy, and put it into hot wax. Last time I was doing this, I did it at same time for 3 bikes, and was done in 15min. So not really all that time consuming. If I compare to how much cleaning I had to do with dry lubes I was using before, I would say it's way less time spend maintaining chain now, with one dip into wax (and some links exercise to be running smoothly after wax cools off) every more like 400-450km, then I had before when I needed to clean and lube chain after pretty much every ride.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
A new lube featuring Graphene for only $149.00 for 4oz.....

That looks like Cologne, and even more expensive. I think ill pass. :roflmao: :popcorn:

Ross Biff

The older I get, the faster I was....
Skier
I'm sure they want you to throw their paraffin away after each use too, otherwise they would be selling very little of stuff, even though it's super expensive. Not to mention all this additives stuff is BS. Teflon, which is additive in question is simply too big to get in proper place, so only paraffin come to there, and teflon remains on top of chain, where does pretty much nothing. So at least at the moment, I'm happy with plain paraffin, which is extremely cheap, and for now it looks like it's working perfectly. But I agree I'm lucky enough I don't have friends where I would need to brag with price of chain lubricant :D
Anyway... for me, I cleaned chain when it was new (first gasoline, then degreaser, then water). For every new lubrication, I just drag it through cloth rag, or wash it under running water, if it's muddy, and put it into hot wax. Last time I was doing this, I did it at same time for 3 bikes, and was done in 15min. So not really all that time consuming. If I compare to how much cleaning I had to do with dry lubes I was using before, I would say it's way less time spend maintaining chain now, with one dip into wax (and some links exercise to be running smoothly after wax cools off) every more like 400-450km, then I had before when I needed to clean and lube chain after pretty much every ride.
I think I have a tin of parrafin wax somewhere. I may have to put the effort in and try it out if I can find it! Interestingly, I think more people will admit good results from a cheap product than poor results from an expensive one. No one likes to admit they got taken for a ride by a super prestigious, super expensive product that was way over hyped and marketed to the coolest kids...."Yeah, sure I paid half a mill for my Ferrari but the suspension sux man! I want my old Bronco back!":popcorn:

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
I "like" the scales on the graph on the linked web-site... The "Y" axis is in 0.5 watt increments with the "X" axis being in 100 kilometer increments.

Assuming you can spare 10 minutes to relube your chain every 400km, then all of the lubes shown are within +/- 1.5 watts of the centerline after 400km. I'm going to guess that everybody's power output under "outdoor conditions" varies by far more than +/- 1.5 watts.

Reactions: Ron

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
@KevinF in my case, watts don't really matter. I quite racing ages ago (never raced with bikes anyway), so it really doesn't matter if I manage to top of the hill in 1 hour or in 1 hour and 17 seconds :) For me it matters more how much work there is maintaining bike. While I like to fiddle around bike, cleaning and lubing chain is still not something I would love to do. And on other side, how long components last. If you check graphs on above link, check graph5. It's same, but obviously newer test that ZFC made, and that I have seen a while ago here https://cyclingtips.com/2018/03/fast-chain-lube-that-saves-you-money/ It's how long chains last with different lubes through same cycles (clean, dry, wet, extreme contamination...). And those with wax (on my link Molten Speed wax) last way longer then any other non-wax lube.
Chains are cheap, so changing one or two chains a season won't matter much, but with chains on end of life, cassettes and chainrings go bad faster too. Now if this wax thing really works as I have seen in several places, then it might be good one, and on long run, there's whole less expenses in chains, cassettes and chainrings. But as I wrote, it's first season for me, and 2000km is hardly anything to make some real conclusions, but for now, after quite some climbing (2000km and 40.000m of ascend is not that little) and chain stretched for less then 0.01mm (on about 119mm lenght) , it's looking good for now. But will see on end of season if not earlier, how it will be :) For now, I'm definitely not in any position to recommend (or not) this method.