• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

A Very Clever Way of Shooting with an iPhone/Smartphone

ErikL

AKA Bro12
Skier
Cool concept. It looks like the maker is planning a "making of" segment, at least according to the video info section. The full spin thing would get old if it's the only POV, but it's a great way to get more shots. The only thing I wouldn't do is use my phone that way. I'd rather use a purpose-built action cam. I know part of the draw is that you already have a phone, but I already have a camera too. And that's a sure way to absolutely drain the battery on a phone if you shoot video for any good amount of time. My phone battery already sucks badly enough as it is.

Don in Morrison

I Ski Better on Retro Day
Skier
I saw it get old before the video was half over. At real time speed I think it will make some people dizzy.

Phone or camera, when the inevitable face plant happens, the recording device takes one too. I try to be kinder to my equipment. It's too expensive to just be flinging it around like that.

Then there's the potential for clotheslining a passing skier nearby.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I like it, but it is definitely a one-video only effect. Kinda like the camera on the end of the pole. Super cool once, then tired the next time.

Don in Morrison

I Ski Better on Retro Day
Skier
There's a visual for you. Dozens of skiers trailing kites behind them as they glide down the hill. Then they cross paths and the strings get tangled and...

TS
quant

quant

Don't worry; just go down.
Skier
I saw it get old before the video was half over. At real time speed I think it will make some people dizzy.

Phone or camera, when the inevitable face plant happens, the recording device takes one too. I try to be kinder to my equipment. It's too expensive to just be flinging it around like that.

Then there's the potential for clotheslining a passing skier nearby.

I like it, but it is definitely a one-video only effect. Kinda like the camera on the end of the pole. Super cool once, then tired the next time.

Yeah, it is tiring after awhile but is still interesting. I do a family video every year with the usual "loading the chairlift" shot using the pole mount and the "shooting the kids behind me" shot by reversing the camera. This would simply add a new dimension to the annual video. If only I could do this with a mini-drone tethered to and circling around my helmet while I ski...something like this flying pig with a camera attachment:

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier

Sponsor

Staff online