• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.

James

Out There
Instructor
-----------------
Study shows potential for reduced methane from cows

July 5, 2019 , University of Adelaide

What we showed is that the level and type of methane-producing microbes in the cow is to a large extent controlled by the cow's genetic makeup," says one of the project's leaders and co-author Professor John Williams, from the University of Adelaide's School of Animal and Veterinary Sciences. "That means we could select for cattle which are less likely to have high levels of methane-producing bacteria in their rumen."

Cattle and other ruminants are significant producers of the greenhouse gas methane—contributing 37 percent of the methane emissions resulting from human activity. A single cow on average produces between 70 and 120 kg of methane per year and, worldwide, there are about 1.5 billion cattle.
-----------------
https://m.phys.org/news/2019-07-potential-methane-cows.html

g-force

Booting up
Skier
Oh; ye of short attention span: Whatcha' gonna do if you aren't watching stuff like this?
Skip to this on Methane Global Dimming Decreased Grain Production Ice-free Arctic ( This is one of my favourites ... Measure the heat-energy in Watts per Square Meter over an entire Arctic Ocean. ). And El Nino events too The Oceans as heat Batteries. I like the Exponential Function part of this video too.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
studying aerodynamics and roll resistance? planning & preparing for our Tour De Steamboat event? :)

eok

Slopefossil
Skier
Over the years (and especially recently) I've kept tabs on climate change mitigation research. Most ideas I've seen are great ideas but not all that practical. However, this one hit my radar recently:

https://projectvesta.org/

The science is sound and the practicality is high. Basically, the core strategy is to employ one of nature's carbon sequestration processes - but in a way that accelerates the sequestration. Cost wise, it is relatively cheap compared to other mitigation costs. And it is something that can be done now - like today. No special magical materials required. Just tons of olivine sand (olivine is one of the most abundant minerals on the planet) deposited on a few equatorial beaches every year. At full project deployment, the effort would annually sequester the equivalent of entire global carbon emissions for that year. The math & economics look good. Environmentally, it sounds really good because the olivine would also combat ocean acidification, thus helping waters recover. A big plus for me: unlike a few radical mitigations, this one is easily controllable and reversible when it's no longer needed.

But yes, we are talking huge scales: around 7 cubic miles of olivine deposited on 2% of equatorial beaches (the beaches that see the most wave/turbulence action)... annually. Sounds daunting but it's doable. Mining capacity already exists, as does the transport. At full deployment, costs are estimated at 25bil/yr. A lot of that is based on current olivine mining costs - which will probably drop due to mining production growth. 25bil/yr sounds crazy high, but global mitigation costs are projected to exceed hundreds of trillions in 30-50 years (probably sooner), when things start getting really real.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
-----------------
Study shows potential for reduced methane from cows

July 5, 2019 , University of Adelaide

What we showed is that the level and type of methane-producing microbes in the cow is to a large extent controlled by the cow's genetic makeup," says one of the project's leaders and co-author Professor John Williams, from the University of Adelaide's School of Animal and Veterinary Sciences. "That means we could select for cattle which are less likely to have high levels of methane-producing bacteria in their rumen."

Cattle and other ruminants are significant producers of the greenhouse gas methane—contributing 37 percent of the methane emissions resulting from human activity. A single cow on average produces between 70 and 120 kg of methane per year and, worldwide, there are about 1.5 billion cattle.
-----------------
https://m.phys.org/news/2019-07-potential-methane-cows.html
But what if taking the farts away from cows has the same effect as removing the seeds from watermelons? Seedless melons just don't taste anywhere near as good as seeded ones do..

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
But what if taking the farts away from cows has the same effect as removing the seeds from watermelons? Seedless melons just don't taste anywhere near as good as seeded ones do..

Well, I read somewhere recently that cows that were fed a different diet than most get now produce a ridiculously lesser amount of methane. I'll have to go dig around for that.

Last edited by a moderator:

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
@Eleeski I think you may have spent a lot of this season on the upper mountain at Squaw, which did great. Lower mountain- not so much in comparison. Climate change definitely affected Tahoe. The snow comes later and stays later, which is good news for us season pass holders, terrible news for business owners who depend on Chrisitmas/NewYear holiday for their livelihood. The snowline is definitely higher than it used to be. If the temperatures have been just a degree or two lower, those pineapple express storms we had could have been all snow, imagine what the snow totals would have been.

Actually, the very record winter you cite is an example of climate change, there are climate models that show that the main effect of climate change on California would be to have more severe variations. So, yes, you get fat winters, but you also get very dry winters. I would much rather have a bunch of average winters if I had a choice, I like consistency in my skiing forecast, than you very much.

I am not necessarily a climate change alarmist, but I am really troubled by climate change denials. if you acknowledge the problem, you at least have a chance to formulate a reasonable policy that addresses the problem long term without drastic and detrimental effects on business and economy. If you deny the problem, you are steering the ship blind. Climate change is a scientific reality. What we do about it as a society is a political problem, and we should really separate the two. That is to say that attempts to discredit the science to achieve political aims are reprehensible. Confusing science with political solutions is also a dead end. Science simply provides the facts and gives a reality check. It's the society and the politician's job to come up with the solutions and implement them.

So the reality check is that carbon sequestration is largely a pipe dream, therefore do not expect a return to the preindustrial CO2 levels anytime soon. The best we can do it to stop adding carbon to the atmosphere, and still that would be hard to achieve for years. So we should prepare to deal with the effects of climate change and sadly that would mean significant negative effects on skiing as a sport and the industry as a whole. So, get ready to do this:

James

Out There
Instructor
If we'd had this much denial about toxins in the early 60's, we'd still be using DDT and Rachel Carson would be tarred as some leftist kook.

Well too bad. Eat bugs. Or created meat. It's not like every piece of meat served is great anyway. And a seeded but mealy watermelon isn't good either.

Note- I think they belch far more than they fart.

Last edited:

g-force

Booting up
Skier
Cliff-notes, sharks and COWS... ? wtf ?
You guys... You wealthy educated cosmopolitan skiers... the pinnacle of The Matrix. Note the recent Date on this one.
https://www.tellerreport.com/life/2...caused-by-melting-arctic-ice-.H1xzjd9Qer.html

or this one... if you are a high-school grad.
https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/arctic-sea-ice-loss-implications/

An Ice Free Arctic Within the next Decade has consequences that, so far here; I have seen no evidence You can even imagine; let alone speak yer own fkin language.
Cow Farts ?
You Drive it like you stole it.
But what you stole was The Future... and you don't even know it.
Outta here
ps: Here was supposed to be a link from yootoob... Lock Stock n Two Smokin Barrels. Rory Breaker sez to Nick the Greek:
"If you hold back anything; I'll kill ya'.
If ya bend the truth; I'll kill ya'.
If ya don't understand anything I said; I'll kill ya'."

Last edited:
Reactions: eok

James

Out There
Instructor
You guys... You wealthy educated cosmopolitan skiers... the pinnacle of The Matrix. Note the recent Date on this one.
https://www.tellerreport.com/life/2...caused-by-melting-arctic-ice-.H1xzjd9Qer.html

An Ice Free Arctic Within the next Decade has consequences that, so far here; I have seen no evidence You can even imagine; let alone speak yer own fkin language.
Cow Farts ?
In about a decade I want you to remember these posts... 'Oh: that's what he meant'.
Outta here.
gimmie one more ski season.
It would be good to know there are at least a few Adults out there... evidence is slim.
Best you stay out of anything to do with the public as you wouldn't last long.
Melting sea ice is a result.
Yeah methane-

"Methane is a greenhouse gas as is carbon dioxide. Human activity has increased the amount of methane in the atmosphere, contributing to climate change. Methane is particularly problematic as its impact is 34 times greater than CO2 over a 100-year period, according to the latest IPCC Assessment Report. A significant source of human-made methane emissions is fossil fuel production. For example, methane is a key by-product of the rapidly rising global extraction and processing of natural gas. Other top sources of methane come from the digestive process of livestock and from landfills, which emit it as waste decomposes."

Why Methane Matters
https://unfccc.int/news/new-methane-signs-underline-urgency-to-reverse-emissions

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Cow Farts ?
Outta here
ps: Here was supposed to be a link from yootoob... Lock Stock n Two Smokin Barrels. Rory Breaker sez to Nick the Greek:
"If you hold back anything; I'll kill ya'.
If ya bend the truth; I'll kill ya'.
If ya don't understand anything I said; I'll kill ya'."

You may have a lot to add to the conversation if only you'd communicate it in a way that doesn't make people's head hurt.

eok

Slopefossil
Skier

Cow Farts ?
Outta here.
ps:

There are indeed adults in the room - and not all of us are wealthy "top of the matrix" types.

If humans actually commit to addressing climate change at the modes and scales required then then all modes of human activity and production will need to be reformed. Surprisingly to many, food production methods (especially livestock) are huge carbon emitters - particularly when you look at it from a global perspective. But livestock methane emissions (aka: cow farts) is just one carbon source (but indeed one of the larger ones) out of many. It's talked about a lot and laughed at a lot. I don't see reforming livestock production as something that's practical to attempt in today's political and economic climate.

Inevitably, in the future the changed climate will have big impacts on livestock & agribusiness anyway that will either drastically shrink production of some products or outright eliminate them.

For example, the way things are going climate-wise (faster than projected), many of us here may be around in a future without bacon. Sounds funny at first, but then it doesn't.

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
I think he's agreeing with what we are saying but possibly misinterpreting the fact that we like information and actively read and study it. Pretty sure 99% of anyone participating at this point is very interested in the articles and videos (OK, I am not interested in watching the 1 hour long shark video :) ). but it is all really interesting stuff and we all learn something. the Methane issue is one that never really gets much attention beyond the sensationalistic "cow farts". (did you know that whole thing was actually started as a sarcastic joke?) but the melting permafrost issue is really serious.

James

Out There
Instructor
"Everytime a cow farts the permafrost melts a little"...
How's that for a bumper sticker slogan?
Even though it should be "burps" as 95% comes through the front end.

Let them eat seaweed!

"Scientists think they can reduce greenhouse gas emissions by tweaking the food that cows eat. A recent experiment from the University of California, Davis suggests that adding seaweed to cattle feed can dramatically decrease their emissions of the potent gas methane."

https://www.npr.org/sections/thesal...ssions-from-cows-scientists-look-to-the-ocean

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
@James yep, its the burps not farts but I thought that a lot of that was as a result of cows being fed grain which is not a natural food to cows. it causing a lot of digestive distress in cows but it fattens them up fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online