• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
:(:eek:

Pdub

best day ever
Skier
Very scary... I cut myself all the time while tuning the kids' race skis. Never suspected Group A strep colonized ski edges!

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
That story is crazy, but not terribly far fetched.

I keep some neosporin in my bag at work, just in case something like this happens, not that neosporin will combat such a crazy infection.
But still, moving skis around and ski boot fitting, my hands are cut and scraped all the time, and you just don't know what kind of germs linger in that environment.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
maxresdefault.jpg

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
I try to handle skis mostly with gloves on.

Several years ago a colleague sliced his hand with the skis he was carrying for a child client. Took a few stitches, but he also was subject to a urine test for worker comp. That cost him his job because of his THC count.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Once you get a cut, it's open to the world. The bacteria may not have been from the initial wound, but just on whatever else he touched that day, e.g. bathroom, skischool instructor locker room, inside of gloves; shuttlebus, etc. etc.

The first aid even for minor things really does protect from things getting worse, and speeds healing.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It's also possible that the bacteria entered the cut later rather than directly from the ski since it appears it was small and he didn't do anything to cover/treat it. Depending on how small I may not have covered/treated either. I might re-think that decision in the future.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I remember Michael Renberg (NHL) nearly had to have his hand amputated after cutting his hand on his skate lace tightening his skates. When I worked with my hands I used to tell guys, every cut can be dangerous. Put AB cream on it at the end of the day and keep an eye on whether it's heating up or turning red.

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/renberg-nearly-lost-hand-to-infection-1.357347

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Once you get a cut, it's open to the world. The bacteria may not have been from the initial wound, but just on whatever else he touched that day, e.g. bathroom, skischool instructor locker room, inside of gloves; shuttlebus, etc. etc.

Where has Vail Resort been? :nono:

Terrifying story!

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
vail resorts isnt in the healthcare business unless they have a hospital division I don't know about.

So as with any business, healthcare and coverage for injuries to your employees is provided via health insurance or workmans comp insurance or additional insurance that the employer takes out for their employees. Those percentages that they pay and you pay out of your paycheck is the money that's supposed to pay for unexpected things like this that happen in the workplace.

Why he didn't qualify for any of the insurance programs and safety nets as Jilly or Kneale said, is beyond what we have the facts for. really ita the whole healthcare system that should be taken to task, not VR

James

Out There
Instructor
In winter 2000 or 2001 I noticed a tiny splinter in my pinky. Under the skin. No big deal, barely anything to notice. Less than 1/8 in long. Nothing! That was Thurs., by Sat morning there was a bump on the surface maybe 1/8 in diameter. Sun I had to go to mittens to ski because the the bump was the size of a nickel. After skiing, it was worse. More swelling. Red going up the hand with the veins. I went to the er. They gave me IV antibiotics, xrayed to see if it was metal, the doc cut it open and looked around but didn't find anything. Bandages it up, off I went and it ended up fine. Without intervention it could've gotten bad. I've had way worse cuts, splinters etc and nothing like that ever happened.

While I was waiting, getting the iv I started talking to the nurse. She told me about her two boys Abraham and Elijah who were making lots of money, insane actually, snowboarding. Those were the days. She had a girl, Hannah, too who was snowboarding but younger. Five or six years later Hannah Teeter won a gold medal in half pipe at Torino. A silver in Vancouver.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I remember Michael Renberg (NHL) nearly had to have his hand amputated after cutting his hand on his skate lace tightening his skates. When I worked with my hands I used to tell guys, every cut can be dangerous. Put AB cream on it at the end of the day and keep an eye on whether it's heating up or turning red.

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/renberg-nearly-lost-hand-to-infection-1.357347
My nieces husband lost his life a few years ago because he got poked in the leg with something. He was a big strong guy who blew it off, a few days later, he had a sever infection, treated with antibiotics. Infection came back, spread to his brain. He was gone within a month of being poked in the leg.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
My nieces husband lost his life a few years ago because he got poked in the leg with something. He was a big strong guy who blew it off, a few days later, he had a sever infection, treated with antibiotics. Infection came back, spread to his brain. He was gone within a month of being poked in the leg.
Totally empathize. When my dad got sepsis I learned that if you end up in ICU with sepsis you're looking at 35% mortality odds. Not good. It didn't kill my dad but probably contributed ultimately. It's important to pay attention to the signs. Antibiotics may not work quickly enough. :(

Nancy Hummel

Ski more, talk less.
Instructor
SkiTalk Supporter
vail resorts isnt in the healthcare business unless they have a hospital division I don't know about.

So as with any business, healthcare and coverage for injuries to your employees is provided via health insurance or workmans comp insurance or additional insurance that the employer takes out for their employees. Those percentages that they pay and you pay out of your paycheck is the money that's supposed to pay for unexpected things like this that happen in the workplace.

Why he didn't qualify for any of the insurance programs and safety nets as Jilly or Kneale said, is beyond what we have the facts for. really ita the whole healthcare system that should be taken to task, not VR

It is not clear from the article whether he was actually working at the time or whether he has filed a Workers’ Compensation claim.

It may also depend on which health plan he chose with regard to out of pocket maximums and copays. *not taking any sides. There seems to be info missing.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My mom fell and scraped her elbow. Didn’t think much of it although she is immunosuppressed due to rheumatoid arthritis treatment. It got infected and eventually she lost her artificial elbow because the biofilm covering it was infected and would not get better then the joint was fused.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

The first aid even for minor things really does protect from things getting worse, and speeds healing.
Circling back to this thought and the reason I feel like I need to start using anti bacterial ointment even with the smallest of scrapes while bootfitting. Imagine all the things that can be lurking around a boot bench.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Dont forget just simple first aid of regular soap and water to wash it out and optionally a disinfectant, then covering. Which is probably more important than antibiotics.

Soap and disinfectants are a physical action on the organisms washing them away, and like knives and bullets breaking or bursting their cell walls.
Using antibiotics is like trying to poison them, which may only kill off the harmless or less harmful bacteria and leave the resistant strains.

(The petroleum jelly in the antibiotic ointment probably does a good amount of the heavy lifting just by being a physical protection barrier)

Last edited: