• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

A Shout Out to Elk Mtn, Pa

Living Proof

We All Have The Truth
Skier
From the Elk Mountain Website

Because of recent rain and a forecast that includes rain, Elk Mountain will close on Sunday March 13 for the 2015/2016 season. Despite the efforts of our snowmaking crew, the groomers, and the mechanics, Mother Nature dealt us a hand that was the worst in our 56 year history. Holders of full season passes for the 2015/2016 season who opt to purchase another full season pass for the 2016/2017 season will receive a credit equivalent to 31% of the amount paid for this year's season pass. From all of us at Elk Mountain, thank you for your continued support. Have a great summer.

There will be no spring carnival

Wow, Elk is offering a 31% discount next year to this years season pass holders because they were not open enough days. I've heard this is due to a guarantee made by Elk to it's passholders to be open a certain number of days, not sure if this is so, but, if so, it is nice to know they are not quibbling.

But, here is my question....if you were a long time Elk passholder, and, the $$ saving did not meant that much to you, would you pass on the discount? I am not a passholder, but, in the east, especially in Pa., I think we need to support our home mountain. I'd be willing to pay full price for next year, sort of putting your money where your mouth is. Not Elk's fault, or, from lack of trying, they closed early.

Here's to the best ski area in Pa.

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I think they have a 100 day guarantee so I'm guessing they got around 70 days? MRG told all their passholders sorry, no discounts, no nothing, we got bills to pay. Bummer season on the east coast for sure.

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
I would ski there!

ElkMountain1.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Elk is great (awesome terrain and size for PA), but I think going forward for any mountain south of upstate NY and central New England it's tough to guarantee 100 days on snow.

As an example, Liberty Mountain, PA, reduced their days open guarantee from 100 to 55 over the past decade. They were open 64 days this season. And yes, their contract with season pass holders makes them prorate the following season's pass if they fail to meet their open day promise. And Liberty went to great lengths to keep their lifts turning past March 3rd: moving snow from the terrain park to other parts of the mountain, running the snow guns on marginally freezing overnights, etc.

TS
Living Proof

Living Proof

We All Have The Truth
Skier
Elk is great (awesome terrain and size for PA), but I think going forward for any mountain south of upstate NY and central New England it's tough to guarantee 100 days on snow.

Have to think that Elk will greatly modify the guarantee for next season. I checked Blue Mtn season pass terms, and, there is no guarantee at all with respect to how many days the area will be open. The only way partial refunds can occur is for medical reasons or transfer of job resulting in physical relocation. Even under these circumstances, if more than 10 days were used, there is no refund. I checked Camelback terms, it simply states season passes are non-refundable.

SKI-3PO

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I wonder when was the last time they had to pay up on the guarantee. I recall previous seasons where it may have been close hearing discussions that they wouldn't close because of the guarantee.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Elk is some of the best skiing in PA...and it could be so so much better of they opened up the trees. Also two highspeed lifts would be great.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Going from memory of the past eight seasons, ELK just doesn't get enough natural snow dumps for good tree skiing.
Would be nice if they cut and cleared a dedicated tree run or two for the more typical 4" to 6" snow storms that roll thru, a la Blue mountain's glade runs.

Johnny V.

Half Fast Hobby Racer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Bristol has a 100 day guarantee and they manage to make it every year, although this year could be close. They have taken every opportunity they have had to make snow, so any complaints are really unjustified. Last year they were open 139 days, so things do average out.

ex-Coal Miner

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Elk is tough when it comes to passes and tickets, they don't give back money often. In whatever terms you'd sign and agree to for next seasons pass paperwork they'd probably make it illegal to trade or sell the discount. On the last day I skied there I say the courtesy patrol guys confiscate season passes form two different people, one guy was using his wife's pass, another had last year's pass on his armband.

And here's something I heard one day when sharing a chair ride with a parent of a kid who was in a program held Christmas Holiday week. The program was cancelled because Elk had not opened yet, and people got refund checks. The parent said he didn't know whether to cash the check or frame it because that might be the only time he'll ever see Elk cut a check and give money back.

Luvbug

Booting up
Skier
Hmmm i have a mostly love relationship with Elk. They do have good snow - something which i know they work REALLY hard at. They also have a neat ambiance and a pretty chill/fun vibe. I really like the après music there - but wish I could get a beer in a glass! Really the biggest beef that i have though is the food. I would pay a few dollars more for some better food and service in the cafe. Also - there are few early season price reductions, so i dont make the trip unless the whole place is open/skiing well. This year that barely happened. Phil - there are less potential tree access points then when you skiied there last, because they seem to continue to spend their upgrade funds on "pines" and make it less and less likely that trees will ever be open.

That being said - i applaud them on giving back to those that continue to believe in and support them. Thats how you build loyalty and thats the only way these independant places are going to survive less snow days.

Scrundy

I like beer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
As far as open trails, they had the whole mountain open and in good shape for a least half the season. They really do snow well and applaud them for it. For a small mountain I think they are first class compared to other choices within a 2 hour drive from my house. They get a lot of families from New Jersey and Philadelphia and I like the vib of the place. Not to mention a lot less boarders.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January