• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

A seasoned skier, but a powder novice.

Big_Al

Booting up
Skier
Bonafides are 98 underfoot according to my recent google search. That should be fine. I used Rossi S-3's (also 98 underfoot) for a season out in SLC and they worked great.

On deep days, sure, something a little wider would be nice but not necessary.

A more helpful tip, though, would be to take a lesson in powder technique.

Castle Dave

Getting off the lift
Skier
Let's review the OP's original information.
- He just moved to Salt Lake City arguably a powder skiing mecca,
- He is a powder skiing novice.
- He weighs 240 lbs.
- He's skiing 180 Bonifides
Of course he needs a pair of real powder skis and the bigger the better. Absolute no brainer. The only reason not to have a dedicated powder skier in SLC is if you can't afford it.

JimL

Putting on skis
Skier
So, I've done ski weeks at Alta for the past 10 years or so, and the majority of days there have not been fresh powder days. For those days your Bonafides should be fine.

One thing that nobody so far seems to have mentioned is that when there is a really heavy snow day, it's not uncommon for the roads to be closed, at least for a few hours, until they are plowed. Which means that unless you are actually at the mountain, you can't get up to the skiing, and by the time you do, the people already there have already skied quite a bit of it, although certainly not all. A couple other obvious suggestions - see what other people are skiing on the big powder days, and demo some skis to find out what lengths and widths work for you. As a heavier guy, wider and longer will give you more flotation, but as Philpug's video demonstrates, technique still trumps overall - a powder lesson is a great idea (especially since the instructor will know all the best places to take you, and if you get an early lesson, you get to cut the line, which means the best chance to get uncut powder). Remember that only 15-20 years ago, the Salomon Pocket Rocket at 122-90-115 was considered a powder ski, and it was significantly narrower than your Bonafides.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
if the roads are going to close for blasting they post the time even if it not planned the time is generally 6:15 and it pointless to not beat that time.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I noticed in my return to skiing last season that the industry, and many skiers, have finally realized that additional width is not better than more length. Things seem to be settling down at a waist width of about 105-115mm as being more typical for a deep snow ski. Then you pick the right length to get the surface area you need to support your weight.

Also, I ski much longer skis for deep snow than I would normally pick. Not only does this added length provide more float, but the real key is that the length provides stability. You need fore/aft stability much more so in deep snow than when the conditions are 2D. This is because in deep snow you often get into terrain that hits you with the "stop/start" effect where you may unexpectedly slow down or speed up.

Also, also... deep snow skis usually have much more splay in their rocker profile (including a good amount of tail rocker). All this rocker "pre-bakes" a turn for you without needing to bend the ski. My 190cm Wailer 112RP skis are crazy quick turning skis because of their prodigious amount of splay in the rocker profile. Going longer, much longer than normal, for a deep snow ski makes a ton of sense.

I agree with you. I find that length gives me more support, especially in deep, light snow. I prefer a ski from a mid 90's to about 105ish width. Anything really wide feels kind of awkward to me. Couple of years ago I went over the bars a couple of times and cured that by renting something 10cm longer than my 180's. Sure I could have just skied a bit more carefully but I was having fun charging sown some steeper lines and the longer skis gave me confidence and support.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
One thing that isnt looked at too much, is that a ski flex, and rocker profile greatly affect how is skis powder.

My Enforcer 93 are better powder skis, than my Bonafide simply due to the tip shape and softer flex. My E100s are honestly great powder ski that I typically ski in lighter powder over my much larger skis. AS to what noodler said I length with some width is way more important than just overall width. Heck the mentioned pocket rocket in powder is probably better than the Bones as well assuming its in the 185cm length....just dont expect it to ski crud or hardpack like the Bone.

Out west I typically ski a high 180s to low 190 powder ski but in the east we are truly limited by some really tight lines and I find 185-188cm about as long as I can go.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Bonafides are 98 underfoot according to my recent google search. That should be fine. I used Rossi S-3's (also 98 underfoot) for a season out in SLC and they worked great.
Even though both of these skis were 98mm underfoot, their shape and characterists were way different. The S-3 was a narrowe powder ski with a ton of rise in the tip and tail.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Most locals will be considerably wider than 116mm on serious pow days. Some as wide as 140+mm.:daffy:
Isn’t that called a Snowboard? (Asking for a friend) :snowball:

A friend rocking 141mm at Snowbird on a deep powder day:
141 mm skis.jpg