• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

A seasoned skier, but a powder novice.

Gerry

aka GerryF
Skier
After 30 yrs. of skiing the Ice coast (NYS), I've moved to SLC and have been introduced to powder (the snow kind). I've used my Bonifides for past trips to softer snow. Are they wide enough as a daily driver for powder? thanks

HDSkiing

You’re Sliding On-Snow; Don’t Over-Think it!
Skier
You will especially like those Bonifides when all that powder gets tracked/cruded up. ;)

My daily driver for everything and for up to a foot or so of fresh pow (on top of the groomed) is a Head iRally at 76 under foot. If it gets deeper I use a K2 Pinnacle 105.

Bonifide at 98 is plenty wide IMHO. Have fun!

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Are they wide enough as a daily driver for powder

That's no such thing as a daily driver for powder, except in heaven. So which is your question? You want a daily driver or a powder ski? Daily driver, you're probably fine. Powder day ski for Utah resident? Go wider.

mister moose

Instigator
Skier
Flotation is proportional to the square of your speed. Go faster.

(Steering immersed skis requires precision on both feet, and that takes some getting used to.)

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
How tall are you and how much do you weigh? How long of bonafides?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I had one of my best powder days ever on a Bonafide. If you want a reason to get new skis, we can help you there. A ski that has some of the attributes of your Bonafide that would be a wider complement would be the Blizzard Rustler 11, that could be good powder for Utah.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
I had one of my best powder days ever on a Bonafide. If you want a reason to get new skis, we can help you there. A ski that has some of the attributes of your Bonafide that would be a wider complement would be the Blizzard Rustler 11, that could be good powder for Utah.

Thought a demo of the Rustler 11 during a powder day would be a great idea when I saw this post. In the same Bonafide size or maybe the size up for more float as they aren’t too demanding. A backbone with a similar Blizzard family feel but very forgiving for powder newbies.

The Bonafide would be a perfect daily driver ski ripping softer groomers and a bit of off piste when there’s not larger snowfall. For harder days of “no new snow for a week” bring out the East coast carvers.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
yeah get a bigger/longer ski.

I am 5'8 195lb and I find my 187 bonafides lacking in float to be honest, they work( i mean a SL ski will work) but I prefer have enough ski that I do not have to micro manage balance.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I'm 5'11", 240. the skis are 180cm

That is a great daily driver for out west. Its one of my favorite resort skis ever.

For true Western Powder Days (8"+ of dry powder) you will want a wider ski with a more powder oriented design (more/deeper rocker lines and wider tips that offer good support but are not super stiff).

Most days out here I would use the Bonafides and just use the powder boards for the better days mid and late season.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
yeah get a bigger/longer ski.
I will agree with Josh here, you will need this ski to be in the mid 184-188 range for this ski. Keep the Bones but get this to add to it.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Sounds like you need new skis, but maybe not by the end of the month. This would be a good chance to try out a few different models and lengths.

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
You will especially like those Bonifides when all that powder gets tracked/cruded up.
Exactly. How many deep powder runs can we get on a lift-served hill? 2? Then it's tracks, then crud.

Anyway, 98 mm will be good. Also, the flex of the skis is important.
I had one of my best powder days ever on a Bonafide.
Seems like these will do the job just fine.

And, it matters how you like to ski in the powder. Some like to zoom across the top; they need wide skis with lots of rocker. I like to ski in 3 dimensions down in the powder. My Kore99 are just right for me.

blackke17

I'd rather be at Alta
Skier
if you are just starting to explore Powder skiing , I'd look for something wide and soft with Deep rocker profiles ( As Ken mentioned above). This type of ski will allow you to more easily learn the art of skiing the deep stuff - They will provide the float you need and turns are easily initiated.

for reference, I'm 5'10 - 190lbs

Powder skis I have been riding the last 5 winters:
183 Faction Royale - 122mm waist
185 Line Mr Pollard Opus - 118
185 Armada JJ's - 118
184 Salomon Rocker 2 - 122
180 Armada Magic J - 125

A ski with a 98 waist is NOT going to cut it in the Utah Fluff! those are groomer skis out here . After skiing over 200 days in the Cottonwoods the last 5 winters I can assure you that you will want something with a waist over 110mm. That may sound like a big ski but it's all relative.

And don't think they are only for deep days, my daily driver this year has a waist of 112.

4" at Alta can be a magical day on the right ski .

LouD-Truckee

no drivel here....⛷️⛷️⛷️
Skier
it's not that you can't ski powder..... :D
IMG_20190205_205734.jpg

Sponsor