• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Northern Rockies/Alberta A Rare Early Recommendation

TonyC

Contact me at bestsnow.net
Pass Pulled
In early November I start browsing the resort snow report pages. The main reason for this is to know how much October snowfall to exclude from season totals later on. But occasional there are some meaningful snow totals that will stick around and be part of the winter snowpack.

It is more rare to see enough snow to impact recommendations for skiing this early in the game. This year I see a happy exception. Grand Targhee is always on the short list for early season skiing, but this year I would be surprised not to see full operation by December 1 and perhaps even by Thanksgiving.
1) The reported base depth at Targhee on Nov. 2 is already 41 inches.
2) The Tetons are projected to get the most snow from the upcoming widespread western weekend storm.
3) Targhee's track record of consistency makes it extremely unlikely that there won't be another 2-3 feet at least of November snow after this weekend.

I did not see where to label this thread regionally when I created it.

blah

Getting on the lift
Skier
So many white, fluffy rocks last year during Thanksgiving. Don't know how I dodged them all. :daffy:
15168859_10211228778539149_8564322590342356873_o.jpg

agreen

Getting on the lift
Skier
In early November I start browsing the resort snow report pages. The main reason for this is to know how much October snowfall to exclude from season totals later on. But occasional there are some meaningful snow totals that will stick around and be part of the winter snowpack.

It is more rare to see enough snow to impact recommendations for skiing this early in the game. This year I see a happy exception. Grand Targhee is always on the short list for early season skiing, but this year I would be surprised not to see full operation by December 1 and perhaps even by Thanksgiving.
1) The reported base depth at Targhee on Nov. 2 is already 41 inches.
2) The Tetons are projected to get the most snow from the upcoming widespread western weekend storm.
3) Targhee's track record of consistency makes it extremely unlikely that there won't be another 2-3 feet at least of November snow after this weekend.

I did not see where to label this thread regionally when I created it.
I've been watching GT as well. Thinking about a drive from SLC on opening weekend Nov 17th or the following weekend. 16" last night with more on the way. 50" base and 79" this season. The web cams look really nice. Snow seems a bit wet but that could be perfect for base building. If more falls in the next two weeks there should be a lot of terrain open. I'm thinking of starting a yearly tradition of heading to the place with the best conditions and most terrain open in November. This year GT could win.

Bigtinnie

Formerly 'sbooker' in another world.
Skier
Exciting! It’s a safe bet I’ll have something to ski on in January then.
Pumped.

Sponsor

Staff online