• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

A race plate on a what?

trailtrimmer

Stuck in the Flatlands
Skier
Soooooooooo, I have a set of new old stock Latigos on the way for my wife who is finally back to dabbling in active pursuits after health issues forced her to the sidelines for several years. :yeah:

Her current skis are some 15 year old K2 Burnin Luvs which are about 67 at the waist. The Latigo is a little longer and wider and I've love to give it a little quicker initiation for her and have the ability to move the binding forward without a remount.

That gives me two options. One, spend money on a Attack 11 or 13 demo binding which I have a template for and can drill myself. Or pull the Rossi/Look plates off a older 27M GS ski I have a put some PX12 racing clamps on that I already have.

Has anyone put a plate on a narrow all mountain or wider frontside ski? If so, any feedback?

Oh, FWIW, she's a solid intermediate and by the end of the day was starting to really carve.

HeluvaSkier

Reality Check Writer
Pass Pulled
I run Tyrolia race plates (Head, Elan, Fischer, Tyrolia) with FreeFlex 15-16-17 bindings on every ski that I own (includes race skis all the way up to 98mm waist skis). I love the setup, but it does require more powerful skiing than a non-plated binding, so for an intermediate it may not make a lot of sense to add both weight and stiffness.

For my wife (intermediate to advanced skier depending on her mood, which can seemingly be impacted by any internal or external influence), I have plated a few of her setups, however I use either junior race plates, or softer carve plates that you'd find on regular consumer skis (like Supershapes, Elan SLC, etc.). She likes these setups, however does complain about the weight on at least one of them (though she likes that setup because we built it so she could plow through heavy, wet snow with it).

TS
trailtrimmer

trailtrimmer

Stuck in the Flatlands
Skier
@HeluvaSkier Excellent feedback and has me thinking of just sticking with a demo style binding that I can move forward or back to play with response. Her current sticks have a bit of a lift built into the binding system, likely 6-7mm or so, but a simple plastic EPS plate under some Marker M1000's. The Rossi race plates would be a little thicker and certainly a lot stiffer and heavier.

Decisions, decisions. :)

Atomicman

Out on the slopes
Skier
@HeluvaSkier Excellent feedback and has me thinking of just sticking with a demo style binding that I can move forward or back to play with response. Her current sticks have a bit of a lift built into the binding system, likely 6-7mm or so, but a simple plastic EPS plate under some Marker M1000's. The Rossi race plates would be a little thicker and certainly a lot stiffer and heavier.

Decisions, decisions. :)
Don't use Demo bindings. They simply suck....toe and heels are ALWAYS loose in the track. I just pulled the demos off of my Atomic Rituals and replaced them with Look Pivot 18's with about +5mm riser on the toe and +4 on the heel which gives juts a hair more Ramp then a like about 4mm. But at least the boot to ski contact is now solid as a rock. Before it was just ridiculously loose!

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Like Heluva, i have plated almost everything, including my bonafides, but i think the rossi plate might make it too stiff for your wife. If you really want to go that dircetion, there is also a Rossi junior plate that would let you use the PX12 Race. Real question though is do you really think your wife would notice any real diifference moving the mount around? If not why not just go for a standard binding and move the mount forward slightly.... I know my wife just looks at me like I'm totally stupid if I suggest some mods like that....:eek:....and i know from past experience that if she does not like a ski at first, she has made her mind up and moving the binding will not change her decision!!

Dakine

Far Out
Inactive
It is a worthwhile exercise to clamp your ski with a boot in the binding to a bench and try to wiggle the boot top sideways.
With most setups you are in for a big surprise.

TS
trailtrimmer

trailtrimmer

Stuck in the Flatlands
Skier
Don't use Demo bindings. They simply suck....toe and heels are ALWAYS loose in the track.

Yeah, most are, but the attacks don't do too bad of a job compared to the rest. To me the ability to fine tune fore/aft outweighs the fraction of a degree wiggle thecheel may have.

My new mission is to find a clapped out dynastar or Rossi jr ski for plates. In the mean time, I'll likely just mount it 1.5 cm forward and let her have at it.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Don't use Demo bindings. They simply suck....toe and heels are ALWAYS loose in the track. I just pulled the demos off of my Atomic Rituals and replaced them with Look Pivot 18's with about +5mm riser on the toe and +4 on the heel which gives juts a hair more Ramp then a like about 4mm. But at least the boot to ski contact is now solid as a rock. Before it was just ridiculously loose!
Sorry but these statements are just not true, sure they were at one time demo bindings were a compramise but todays generation of "demo" bindings are damn good. They don't just "simply suck". The AtomicSalomon Warden demo is extremely solid. The Tyrolia Attack 13' are solid. The Look Konect SPX are extremely laterally ridid. While they might not be best for all applications, to say they simply suck really completely inaccruate.

Dakine

Far Out
Inactive
I agree with both Phil and Atomicman.
Current generation demo bindings are OK and work well on soft snow.
You won't find any on skis used by good skiers in icy conditions.
Vibration control is key on ice biters and demo bindings just introduce one more flex mode to the binding setup.
You don't need that, it is hard enough to carve ice with a rigid setup because of vibration.

HeluvaSkier

Reality Check Writer
Pass Pulled
I recently skied a pair of skis mounted up with a Tyrolia PowerRail PRD 14 (din 4 - 14). They are full adjustable as any demo binding would be (maybe they are demo bindings?), and have a fair amount of lift. They were really solid. Almost as solid as my FreeFlex race bindings. I'm not sure I'd run a serious course on them, but at no point free skiing was I concerned that they wouldn't stay on - very different from demo/adjustable bindings from 10-15 years ago that would fall off if you sneezed too hard.

Atomicman

Out on the slopes
Skier
Sorry but these statements are just not true, sure they were at one time demo bindings were a compramise but todays generation of "demo" bindings are damn good. They don't just "simply suck". The AtomicSalomon Warden demo is extremely solid. The Tyrolia Attack 13' are solid. The Look Konect SPX are extremely laterally ridid. While they might not be best for all applications, to say they simply suck really completely inaccruate.

We will just have to agree to disagree,. My comments come from my experience with Demos and a tech friend of mine that works in the most successful shop here that has been in business the longest and he has worked there for over 30 years. There are hard mounted bindings that have fore and aft adjustment that the range is reasonable for most users. If you really need to fit a 295mm boot and a 335mm boot I guess you have no choice.

Atomicman

Out on the slopes
Skier
I recently skied a pair of skis mounted up with a Tyrolia PowerRail PRD 14 (din 4 - 14). They are full adjustable as any demo binding would be (maybe they are demo bindings?), and have a fair amount of lift. They were really solid. Almost as solid as my FreeFlex race bindings. I'm not sure I'd run a serious course on them, but at no point free skiing was I concerned that they wouldn't stay on - very different from demo/adjustable bindings from 10-15 years ago that would fall off if you sneezed too hard.
Not a Demo binding!

BGreen

Out on the slopes
Skier
I have VIST plates and Marker comp 16 bindings on old 186 Enforcers. Heavy, but work well.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Attack 11s are pretty cheap. I got my kid the demo version since his feet are growing.

Jason Kurth

Putting on skis
Skier
thinking about putting plates on my enforcer 93s. are there any paper/.pdf templates available for head or fischer race plates?

Last edited:
TS
trailtrimmer

trailtrimmer

Stuck in the Flatlands
Skier
Rossi plates have a center mark if you don't mind look/rossi clamps. They are dead simple to mount, sharpie, center punch, small steel ruler, drill bit.