• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

A pros thought on pedals....

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled

blackke17

I'd rather be at Alta
Skier
glad he mentioned jumping and freeride. I do alot of jumping and love my old Bear traps!
IMG_3244.JPG

the thought of being clipped in is actually quite terrifying - I grew up racing BMX so old habits die hard!

TS
Josh Matta

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
those are half bear traps they are missing the bear trap part...

I raced BMX clipped in.....

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Clips are always better except when you have to dismount a lot (we are not all experts)

TS
Josh Matta

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
Clips are always better except when you have to dismount a lot (we are not all experts)

and when climbing you have to dismount a ton less when riding clipless. I hesitate to call myself an expert, I can t even ride all the trails at my local trail system, my wife is far from expert and yet she has an easier time at then on flats. The thing is this entire "stuck in the bike thing" is because of a couple things.

people use Crank Bro pedals which are AWFUL to to release evne the new easier release cleats are still silly compared to shimano and Time,people dont treat clipping in a skill that has to become automatic. I ll be honestly I have been riding clipless for ever 20 years so I am bad case study but my wife has been on them for 5? year and she has 2 clip falls during that entire time, and she still has nt learn to track stand. 3. if you want to be a decent MTBer you need a decent track stand. With a decent track stand not only will you always have time to unclip, but you also will not need to unclip.......

TS
Josh Matta

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
They are but I was a 11 year old kid racing local Expert. I think that explains why I am so pro clipless, is what they are saying.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
and when climbing you have to dismount a ton less when riding clipless. I hesitate to call myself an expert, I can t even ride all the trails at my local trail system, my wife is far from expert and yet she has an easier time at then on flats. The thing is this entire "stuck in the bike thing" is because of a couple things.

people use Crank Bro pedals which are AWFUL to to release evne the new easier release cleats are still silly compared to shimano and Time,people dont treat clipping in a skill that has to become automatic. I ll be honestly I have been riding clipless for ever 20 years so I am bad case study but my wife has been on them for 5? year and she has 2 clip falls during that entire time, and she still has nt learn to track stand. 3. if you want to be a decent MTBer you need a decent track stand. With a decent track stand not only will you always have time to unclip, but you also will not need to unclip.......

Ok Josh, come down here to CO and lets go to Deer Creek Canyon park and try to climb the wall section clipless. Its all or nothing.

I LOVE clipless and have been using it since the 2000's as well.

But, for MTB progression in a lot of tricky terrain flats are better in preventing silly injuries (with proper gear)

For Downhill riding there is not as much need if any to go flats, clipless is better.

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
And i on the other hand, after 20 years of clipless,i switched to flats and my uphill AND downhill improved

It took a couple of months to feel solidly planted in rocky Downhill, but now it feels great. And i think it made me a better rider.
More I'm absorbing a lot with my legs instead of just relying on the suspension.

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
@Ken_R - I've heard that DCC's Wall is very much eroded compared to what it was when I last rode it ~10 years ago. I recall it being difficult and having to 'dab', but not unclimbable. My buddy from Boulder mentioned its all eroded out now and nasty, is that true? DCC used be be a blast when i lived in Lakewood.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
I've ridden DCC a handful of times in recent years with a variety of different folks.

I've seen one fellow clean the wall section. He's the same fellow I watched drink 2/3rds of a fifth until midnight while camping at 10K, wake up at 6am for a 5000'/25mi shuttle ride, and smoke everyone in the group despite being on a SS hardtail.

So yeah, it's neigh unclimbable.

TS
Josh Matta

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
Ok Josh, come down here to CO and lets go to Deer Creek Canyon park and try to climb the wall section clipless. Its all or nothing.

I LOVE clipless and have been using it since the 2000's as well.

But, for MTB progression in a lot of tricky terrain flats are better in preventing silly injuries (with proper gear)

For Downhill riding there is not as much need if any to go flats, clipless is better.

kinda of hard to just go out to colorado. Also saying you cant climb this one section of trails so there for clips are useless is kind of pointless. It like saying well you can not ride DH like sam hill so there for flats are useless.

With that said Ill make bet after watching a video of the deer creek canyon wall. If I can climb it with in a week(not sure of elevation which can be brutal first day coming from the east)(with out putting a foot down), someone pays for my entire trip out to deer creek canyon. If I can nt climb it Ill never post about clips or flats again anywhere on the net ever again including this site. If I climb it first try if the person making this bet is a "flat"rider they have to ride clipless for a year.

dead serious. I can t really afford to go colorado. but I am pretty certain I can climb that....

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
@Ken_R - I've heard that DCC's Wall is very much eroded compared to what it was when I last rode it ~10 years ago. I recall it being difficult and having to 'dab', but not unclimbable. My buddy from Boulder mentioned its all eroded out now and nasty, is that true? DCC used be be a blast when i lived in Lakewood.

It is but ive never seen it in any other condition. The whole section after (downhill) is very rough as well but fun and rideable. I dont risk the wall on the up or down. Injuries are very expensive.

Only pro level riders should even attempt it. Heard of a few nasty injuries there recently.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
the thought of being clipped in is actually quite terrifying
... & to me the thought of riding flats is quite terrifying :eek: ! I grew up riding a Schwinn Sting Ray but began MTB with cages.

I really think it is a personal choice. What is good for me may not be good for you.

Can we just do away the “clipless” thing & just call them clips or flats??:huh:??
D0BA630A-E77C-4A78-971E-27DBD05BF5E6.jpeg

pliny the elder

Industry Insider
Skier
It would appear that pedal choice is the new wheel size. You know, pick the one that you like and be a dick about the others.
This must be why whenever you see a posted bicycles weight it is always without pedals.
Some topics are just too volatile.

pliny the elder

TS
Josh Matta

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
so stating objective facts is being a dick?

Sponsor