• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Do you tune your skis at the end of the season before putting them away or wait for the fall?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnny V.

Half Fast Hobby Racer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Stone the edges (or file if needed) then a coat of CH10 for storage-making sure the edges are covered with wax. I'll scrape and brush the CH10 and ski with it for the first days of opening in the fall. Perfect activity for those dreary "April showers" Eastern days after the slopes close and the mountain bike trails are too wet to ride.

James

Out There
Instructor
To me, making a big deal of "tune" means getting a grind. Otherwise, it's just business as usual. It's not more than 2 days use since they've had wax and edge stoning or filing. So leaving them with no work for the summer would be a fairly acceptable lazy action. Kind of like not tuning before every day.

bigskymtnguy

Booting up
Skier
Everything gets cleaned, Fibertex rub and and hot waxed with Sun Valley Ski Tools (SVST) Special Base Conditioner Wax. No tune ups, that waits for fall once the storage wax comes off.

Dakine

Far Out
Inactive
I put mine away in good shape with the bindings turned down and waxed.
When the season starts all they need is a scrape and brush plus binding reset to be ready to go.
I mark them with tape if they need anything special in the fall and with the wax grade.
I avoid spring grinds because most shops will have a well worn wheel on their grinder in the spring.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I check the base bevels to see if I need a full shop tune with grind in the fall, but will file and stone the edges. I don't trust my precision for that kind of full tune. I'l also steel scrap the bases to check the need for a grind. After a good brushing with the brass brush, I'll wax twice with Dominator Renew using lint-free shop towels in between and leave a thick layer on for the fall. I can quickly mop that off and apply the first wax of a new season in little time.

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
I will pick up my "daily driver" RTM 84s from the shop on Sunday (Closing day)

The bases needed refreshed, and the edges have suffered too many rock strikes to bring back with hand tools (OK, I'm lazy)
The gouge on the tip of one ski will be filled and smoothed. The machine service/grind will be scrutinized and "hand touched" as required . Then a rich application of red wax will be applied but not scraped before I break down the ski bench, placing the vises, scrapers and files back in the tattered paperboard boxes.. The skis will be snapped together with waxed paper between the contact patches and leaned against the wall, or overhead in the beams of the corner of the machine shop, behind the surface grinder, along with the six other pairs that reside there each summer. (I wish I could keep them from propagating so! Wax isn't cheap you know)

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Just end of season for a friend, (Is that code for drink good beer? )

Cleaned bases, sharpened edges, waxed, gave back to friend.
20180425_231736.jpg

20180425_203022.jpg

20180425_231741.jpg

Chris Walker

Ullr Is Lord
Skier
I clean the bases and put on a layer of storage wax in the spring. Tuning can wait for the fall. It gives me something to do while I wait for snow.

Snuckerpooks

Getting on the lift
Skier
Same as many others.

Clean up for storage (not full tune), get edges clean, put on a summer coat of wax on the base and the edges to prevent drying and rusting.

Take them to the shop in the fall for the season start base grind. Go ski.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I don't purposely put wax over my edges, but my skis are stored in a dehumidified storage/work room off of my finished basement (true man cave where I keep my skis, tuning bench, beer, wine, fishing gear, tools, etc.). I've never seen any rust.

Laurel Hill Crazie

AKA Rob Davis
Skier
I repair, edge, and wax frequently through the season so a few will have not seen the snow at the end and the last one out probably has only a day's use on them. The family skis are stored on the living room wall so they are safe from corrosion. If the ski needs a shop tune, I'll take them at the end of the season. I'm the family tuner so same goes for the rest of the family fleet.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Who has completed their end of season tunes? Mine are sitting in the same place I left them in April. Kids' skis are in a bucket in the garage and ours are in the basement sitting on the tune table.

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I still have not done my end of season tunes.. I did back the DIN off and clean every pair off, but I have not done the edges or storage wax.

Zski

Booting up
Instructor
Leav8ng based dry over the summer is a bad idea
I tune and put base prep wax on thick so it covers the edges to protect them
Then in fall I just need to scrape them
This usually takes me several weekends in the spring as we have 14 pair

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
I did that religiously for years. Then one year I didn't. It made no difference. My skis are regularly waxed so they had plenty of wax in the bases that 7 months of hanging in my garage did no damage to the bases or the edges.

Status
Not open for further replies.