• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Do you tune your skis at the end of the season before putting them away or wait for the fall?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

MBF67

Booting up
Skier
Just wondering if you tune your skis before putting them away for the summer.

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
I've got three pair leaning up near the tuning bench. All dressed up and ready to go.
I skied the G3 Reverends today, the rest of the season will likely go to the RTM.s Those three pair in waiting will likely see no additional action this year. ;-

Spring tuned and stored X3 ;-)

Uncle Louie

The Original Gathermeister
Skier
I generally have the only "shop tune" of the season done around the end of the season. I like getting the bases /edges back to the factory settings. It is almost the only time I have every set of skis with me so it's easy. The rest of the season I just maintain the bases and edges.
If I have a season like this one where one pair never hit the hill or had no significant time on them I usually just take the burrs of and put a coat of paraffin on them for the winter.

I also turn the tension screws on the bindings down to zero, and note the din numbers on a piece of tape for the Spring adjustment.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
storage wax in the late Spring normally. Hopefully tuned in the Fall, but they have to perform well, no treats for bad dogs.

eok

Slopefossil
Skier
Before storing for the summer I tune & wax (usually with a universal low-fluoro wax) - but I don't scrape the wax. When the next season starts, I pull out the skis from storage & check 'em over, then scrape the wax. I also usually take 'em to a local shop to get the bindings checked. Then I'm good to go for the 1st day of the season.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I do a light tune, fill in any notable damage, then use all purpose wax as storage wax on most. If they only had one day on the wax and tune I leave them and put them up still counting them as tuned and ready to go. I do have one pair with a piece of tape on them that says "WAX ME" because I meant to but didn't get around to it. Most are ready to be scraped and skied assuming it won't be brutally cold. Sub 10 degrees f changes things and I'll probably scrape them and add a coat of cold weather wax ironed in if that turns out to the conditions encountered.. Other than that "storage wax" is universal regular stuff for me.

Also, I only store skiable skis INSIDE in full climate controlled part of the house. No attics, no garage, and hell no to the shed..

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I usually mean to tune them before summer, but don't always get around to it. That makes it important to put a post-it note with their status on each pair. For storage I scrape the wax but afterwards rub a bar of universal wax once along each edge for rust-proofing -- make sure it is fully dry first, or you could be trapping moisture.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I give them a good scrape and brush, maybe an alcohol wipe, a hot scrape or two with soft wax, and fishish off with some hard wax so the're ready to go in the hard early season man made snow next season. Prior to the waxing I file and hone the base and side edges. I put off the base grind becuase of the early season rocks, then put it off more due to the January rocks, February, and March rocks. Mine go in the garage. We don't even have climate control anyways.

Polo

Putting on skis
Skier
I'll do a full touch up tune, unless more is required, and lay down a layer of storage wax. I don't like surprises and doing a full tune and wax gives me a heads up if they need more attention or possibly even a base grind. I'd much rather go into the next season ahead versus behind.

PTskier

Been goin' downhill for years....
Pass Pulled
Storage wax in spring, tune in fall.
Tune in the fall after most of the rocks are covered.

I like getting the bases /edges back to the factory settings.
I tune to the angles I like and that suit the snow conditions I'm usually on.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
It depends on their condition. If they are in good shape, I'll just stone the edges to remove burrs and wax. If they are beat, I'll freshen the tune depending on what they need. It could need a major tune, or just a freshener-upper. I do like my skis ready in the fall without having to do anything but scrape them.

Freaq

Pretends to be local
Skier
I am a firm believer in option A. I am also an accomplished procrastinator so my actions are sometimes closer to option B. My preference is to give 'em a full tune and a couple of hot scrapes before putting storage wax on 'em. That way if one of y'all PM me with a sad story about how your buddy cancelled on that (pre-paid) Valle Nevado trip at the last minute, I'll be ready to help you out :)

Mike75

Booting up
Skier
Run the 100 diamond stone over the edges and then a thick coat of wax on the bases and edges and put em away. Bring them in for a full shop tune in the fall, which usually means a base grind and resetting the base and side edges. I'll then iron in layers of wax on over the course of the fall to saturate the base.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I keep seeing this title and thinking that I don't generally listen to music while skiing but if I did it would have to be something cheery and upbeat to help me beat the end of season blues.

In other news, I generally have the best of intentions to do a storage wax but never get around to it until September when I then decide it doesn't matter anymore.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Plan to do full tunes and wax, except those pairs I want/need a base grind. Those skis get down in fall.

Why do I do this? If we get snow early in the season, I'm ready and don't have to spend late nights hurrying up. Granted I might take all summer to do this, so the line between end and beginning could be blurred, if I take long enough.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I keep seeing this title and thinking that I don't generally listen to music while skiing but if I did it would have to be something cheery and upbeat to help me beat the end of season blues.

I know, right? I mean start of season tunes would be what? Witness the difficulty - Oktoberfest is barely over, and the oompah still echoes; yet there is a riff of Halloween; or maybe the WROD is running late so... Alice's Restaurant?

Compared to that, end-of-season tunes are easy - whatever soundtrack is on the Giro preview videos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid