• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

A little story about Cochran's

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
So. A fellow Stowe instructor told me a story about an interesting lesson he had taught the day before. It was a Pakistani migrant living in Boston. He had skied only once before, and told Rick that though he had been skiing before, he had never ridden a chairlift. Being an experienced and sane instructor, Rick took him straight to the magic carpet where the man skied right down with no trouble. So naturally Rick gets him on the chairlift and as they are riding up the tiny beginner chair the man is looking all around in awe. "wow" he says. "wow, this is so big!". "Yeah," Rick says, "it's pretty big".

That's where the story begins. The mountain and the puny beginner hill seemed so big because the only place he had ever skied before was Cochran's. A year ago, the man and his wife and their two children decided that it was time for them to learn how to ski. So they did their research and somehow ended up deciding on Cochran's as their destination for a learn to ski week. They booked a hotel in Burlington and drove up. On Monday morning they drove over to Richmond and up the driveway to Cochran's. They pulled into the empty lot and found all the lifts silent, and the lodge locked. The man walked down the driveway and knocked on the door of the farmhouse. Eventually the door opened and there was a woman wearing a housecoat or pajamas. "We are here to learn how to ski". Now Rick was;t there, and neither was I, but I can imagine what she might have thought. She told him "just a minute" and closed the door. A few minutes later she walks out ready to ski. She walks up to the lodge and unlocks the door. She invites them in and sets them up with gear. Soon they are out on the oil and she is teaching them how to ski. When they are ready to go up higher she switches on the rope tow. As lunch time approaches she takes them back to the lodge where she makes grilled cheese sandwiches and then takes them back to skiing. As the afternoon wears on, their lone car is joined by others as ski coaches show up. Then the school bus pulls up. Lesson is over as the hill springs to life with after school kids and ski racers. They did this M-F. Rick asked him if he knew who she was. "Barbara Ann" he says. "Yeah, but do you know who she is". He did not. Rick told him he had had a 5-day private lesson with an Olympian.

Rick closed his story with "and he could ski".

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
That story made my day.

No. It made my season!

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
Brought back memories of beginning organized skiing on a small rope tow slope opened by my hometown's recreation department. That was 1950. There was one tow and two runs, and it created so much demand, they decided to develop a multi-run, multi-tow area on hills at the edge of town. The latter, Hickory Hills, continues to operate.

TS
Erik Timmerman

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
I drove past Cochran's yesterday and was thinking about how when the World Cup is at Killington, Barbara Ann is down there for a couple weeks working on the course and on race day she isn't in the VIP with the other Olympians drinking champagne, but is out on the hill with a clipboard working the race. I've worked the start at a few races with her. She gets it, without people like her (and there are so many like her) ski racing would be impossible.

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Cool story. So let me get this straight...All I have to do is show up early on a Monday morning , and knock on the farmhouse door?

TS
Erik Timmerman

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
I'm not sure if it will work twice, but you can try!

Winks

AKA "Gary".
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
That's awesome!

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I drove past Cochran's yesterday and was thinking about how when the World Cup is at Killington, Barbara Ann is down there for a couple weeks working on the course and on race day she isn't in the VIP with the other Olympians drinking champagne, but is out on the hill with a clipboard working the race. I've worked the start at a few races with her. She gets it, without people like her (and there are so many like her) ski racing would be impossible.

QFT

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
I visited Underhill VT 40 years where my sister was working at a pre-school. We went over and looked at Cochrans
ski hill in their back yard. Sis had recently skied there. Maybe even taken lessons there.

Instead I skied at Madonna Mt (now Smugglers Notch) over to the top to Stowe & back. Minor snag was the Stowe liftie said
I had to buy a Stowe full day ticket. I went into the lunch room to ponder this outrageous demand.
After lunch I noticed the liftie had been replaced. I snuck over acting like I knew what I was doing and quickly jumped
on the lift and up to hike over the top !

Sponsor

Staff online