• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
With the wet winter we had, even the dry summer evenings have riddled our back yard patio with bugs, mostly mosquitos, but also some black flies.
mosquito_1f99f.png

I have some insect repellant, but I don't really like spraying myself (or my guests) down with it just to have a nice evening on the patio.

I'm looking for a good source to zap or repel bugs from the patio area.
Do citronella candles really work?
What else is out there that is effective?

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

Novaloafah

Should've paid attention to that lesson.
Skier
If you have any of the coffee cup holders (hopefully pictured below) from a chain like Tim's, Light a corner, blow it out and said it on the edge of a table near you or on a barbecue or somewhere safe. It will smoulder for quite a while and works pretty good. IMO better than citronella but citronella does seem to work. I believe egg cartons work as well and they can be torn into more discrete chunks.

Attachments

• 0620coffeecups.jpg
    0620coffeecups.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 0
TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I have to say, coming from Northern Michigan, the amount of bugs we have in Nevada are far less and a lot smaller.
The mosquitos we had in Michigan were the size of turkey buzzards.

I'm really digging the look of the citronella wine bottles, but the folks from Canada may be in the lead based on the amount and type of bugs they get oop nort ;)

RE: fan.
We tend to get the Sierra breezes here, but the second it gets a little still....ouch!

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Jilly knows black flies and mosquitoes... There's also a propane mosquito inferno thing that will literally destroy entire populations of mosquitoes and other bugs. How far do you want your warfare to go? :eek::D

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Here's a question:
We know there is a function and a love for bees, but why are mosquitos in existent? Do they have a purpose?

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Here's a question:
We know there is a function and a love for bees, but why are mosquitos in existent? Do they have a purpose?
Well they're food for other stuff..dragonflies, purple martins, fish, bats... Otherwise..dunno..spread disease I suppose..keep the human population under control... :huh:
As far as bugs go..I imagine some places in the States are equally bad..Maine..Vermont..anywhere you have standing water. Northern Ontario, Quebec, Manitoba..these are ideal breeding grounds..more friggin muskeg and swamp than you can swing a dead cat at...

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The Thermocell takes a butane cartridge. Now I'm out and can't find them. So must have been a tough year.
How long does a butane cartridge last?

Pat AKA mustski

I can keep a Secret
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
We lived by the San Luis Rey river in Oceanside for a few years. Citronella plants smell great and they really discourage the little buggers from hanging in your yard. We put them in pots around the patio- of course our winters were a lot milder than yours.

Get rid of any standing water- even puddles- because they don’t need much water to lay eggs.

Corgski

Getting off the lift
Skier
Jilly knows black flies and mosquitoes... There's also a propane mosquito inferno thing that will literally destroy entire populations of mosquitoes and other bugs. How far do you want your warfare to go? :eek::D
This. I use the Mosquito Magnet which is the original version. Not cheap, but very effective and essential in much of suburban Northern New England where zoning regulations seem to require every house to have at least acre of forest (or something like that).

Thermacell works as a backup but covers a very small area.
Some night when you're feeling sadistic, take a black Teflon cookie sheet and float some cutting board oil or unscented baby oil on it.

Leave it outside overnight. You'll have fresh skeeter soup by 2am.

Ooh, I will have to try that. My mosquito magnet needs maintenance and I need a plan B.

Last edited:

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Wasn't there a thread about a bat house to get rid of mosquitoes on this site a few months ago? As pictured above by @surfsnowgirl the battery powered fly swatter does work well to make quick work of the pesky flies and they cost less than the spray stuff.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
I drag a fan out and let it blow in the general direction of the people gathered. Then furnish those willing each with a bug killing tennis racket. The tennis rackets are fun. But the fan does most of the work. If it's a big group of people, two fans are needed. I've never had any luck with citronella candles.

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
I live in bug central,on a river, with thick woods all around. Tons of bugs, nats, black flies, deer flies, horse flies, and Mosquitoes!!

I agree The fan works great, Yes to Citronella plants they do help
I don't use chemical bug spray I have a natural concoction w/citronella and lots of other herbs and neem oil- repels ticks too!
here's some interesting things about 'human bug magnets https://www.webmd.com/allergies/features/are-you-mosquito-magnet#1

for me Bugs are one of the main reasons I LOVE Winter.... NO Bugs.

Sponsor

Staff online