• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

A Leatherman for skiing/skiers

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
First of all, is there one, second, what would you put on one if you were tasked with designing one? I am thinking of something for race coaches as well as everyday skiers. What would a patroller include on it?

I'd include scissors and knife, as I think i use those the most. #3 Pozi, and thick flat blade like you use for tab type bindings, possibly a magnifying glass for reading DIN (older coaches - yeah, I'm getting there). Maybe a diamond stone for knocking off a burr?

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
There are threads on TGR for compact tool kits for touring packs. Ski patrols might have some handy solutions to keep in their packs as well? Magnifying glass is the only thing you mention that I don't recall others having.

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I don’t like leatherman tools because they’re heavy, expensive, and don’t have everything I need but lots of stuff I don’t need. Patrolling and in the backcountry I carry a Swiss Army knife, a small (4 in) Vise Grip(tm), medical shears, and a stubby ratchet driver with an assortment of skiing-relevant bits. Probably not a weight savings, but each tool is a manageable and convenient size.
https://www.zoro.com/irwin-vise-grip-locking-plier-plain-grip-4-l-4wr/i/G2617693/feature-product
https://www.target.com/p/stanley-ratcheting-multi-bit-stubby-screwdriver-66-358/-/A-16729818
https://www.zoro.com/medi-first-emt-utility-scissors-7-12-in-l-silver-70901-bk/i/G4299197/feature-product

I guess that’s not as handy as a single tool would be, but they exist, they cover my needs, and I have faith in each tool’s quality. I just thought I’d lay out what tools I carry and use. Oh, and folding reader/cheater glasses and a light source (headlamp).

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I agree with @pais alto that for regular, frequent use, like patrol or coaching, individual tools are better than a multi tool.

But for a recreational user, who might only end up using their tool a few times a season at most, having it be lightweight, compact and all in one, is pretty beneficial. Makes it easier to take along, and less likely to forgot or lose a part.

On a side note, in the bike world there has been quite an explosion in different form factor tools the last few years, instead of the traditional flip out style tool.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I don’t think I’d want the magnifying glass to read the DIN setting on the same tool used to adjust it. To much flipping things in and out. Maybe put it on a retracting leash, like the key card things?

Ski&ride

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
I have no need for magnifying glasses even though I’m nearly the age to collect social security.

The camera in your cell phone isn’t for taking boring selfies on groomer. They’re there so you can “see” small print in low light!

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
#3 Pozi drive, 3mm hex, 4mm hex, 5mm hex, T25 torx, #2 phillips, 3/8" wide flat, pliers, wire cutter, knife, bottle/can opener, saw.

I think that covers everything I would want on a theoretical leatherman tool specifically for skiing or patrolling.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
#3 Pozi drive, 3mm hex, 4mm hex, 5mm hex, T25 torx, #2 phillips, 3/8" wide flat, pliers, wire cutter, knife, bottle/can opener, saw.

I think that covers everything I would want on a theoretical leatherman tool specifically for skiing or patrolling.

OK, I gotta ask. I understand everything, but the wire cutter. When do we need that one? ;)

Long Hair Hippy

Getting on the lift
Skier
Ha! I pulled out my brand new Leatherman style multi tool while setting some fence/rope lines and dropped it in knee deep snow several years ago. Never did find it nor did I replace it.

How about a multi tool sized super powerful mini cordless drill and foldable bit capable of drilling through frozen hard snow for setting sign posts and or race gates?

Multi tool with a mini but effective Taser? Hmmmm, I can think of few instances where that might have come in handy.

Multi tool sized but efficient heat gun for quickly melting iced up toboggans and miscellaneous equipment.

sparty

Out on the slopes
Skier
I prefer to use a knife as a knife, as even the best multi-tool knives tend to be on the crummy side compared to a dedicated tool.

However, for the stuff that I find myself wishing I had in my pack twice a season, a multi-tool (including the binding bits someone suggested above) would be rather nice. A bright color choice and non-metal grip would be a plus.

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
OK, I gotta ask. I understand everything, but the wire cutter. When do we need that one? ;)
Primarily for cutting zipties. A lot of the snow fences and marking signs at my home mountain are held together with zipties. It's less dangerous than using the knife to cut them off especially if your current multi tool lacks a lock on the knife blade.. Alternately, I have used mine for cutting down wire ladder splints, but I haven't needed to do that in quite some time since we mostly use SAM splints or even small vac mats now

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
As a resort rec skier don't carry any "tools" as my ski clothing pockets are already full of way too much stuff.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
^^^Same here for being good with the tools on chains at the lodge.

Best Powder day I've hit this century, first run on the widest skis I own, first turn halfway down from the lodge to the lift I dropped a ski. Realized that I had changed boots and gone down about 5 mm of BSL since I set them up. Forward pressure fail. I used my keys to pry up the heel tabs and move them up two clicks.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I have no need for magnifying glasses even though I’m nearly the age to collect social security.

The camera in your cell phone isn’t for taking boring selfies on groomer. They’re there so you can “see” small print in low light!

Well, a race coach probably needs to have a solution that is manageable up on top of the mountain outside the start house on a very cold, windy day. Having to take off your gloves to fiddle with a cell phone might not be the optimal solution there. Being able to have a magnifying glass and tools that can be dropped on/in the snow while making the adjustments is probably better.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I carried a leatherman for years. And there is a story about why I started.
I had made the hike to the top at Wolf Creek. At the top, I could not click into the binding on one of my skis. As I was starting to panic, a patroller came along and told me he had seen this before, my brake got jammed in the wrong position during my climb (I had used my crosswise skis as a climbing assist on a steep bit).
He got out his leatherman, and used the pliers to free the brake arm.

So I carried a leatherman after that. I once loaned it to someone I met on the lift so he could use the screwdriver. That was the ONLY time it was ever used.

That thing was heavy.
I replaced it with a 2 inch long pocket screwdriver (shaft and bits store inside the handle) that I bought from one of those impulse-purchase bins by the checkout at the hardware store. And bonus: it is bright orange!

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I only carry a multi tool if heading out of bounds. Resort skiing no.

I find the pliers to be my most used tool. While I have a few Swiss Army knives, If taking a tool it's the Gerber multi tool.

Sponsor

Staff online