• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

FairToMiddlin

Getting off the lift
SkiTalk Tester
Atomic Redster X9
Dimensions: 114-65.5-99.5
Radius: 15.4m@175cm
Sizes: 169, 175, 181
Size tested: 175
Design: Carryover

Atomic’s cheater GS is very strong, reminiscent of the XT from four or five-ish years ago. Kind of a one-trick pony, it wants to aggressively lay trenches, and that’s about it. And the trench-laying affinity is specific to the word "aggressive": try doing it lazily, and you will experience mediocre edge hold, as the ski is not yet pleased with you to the point where it will get involved. Drive the inside leg, aggressively, or go home. It is doable in bumps and crud, but not particularly happy. For that kind of versatility, Atomic thought ahead and made the Redster X9 WB, see below.
  • Who it is for? Serious carvers. The X9 doesn’t want to do much past that.
  • Who it is not for? The uninitiated. This will chew up and spit out most folks.

Atomic Redster X9 WB
Dimensions: 125.5-75-109.5
Radius: 14.2m@176cm
Sizes: 152, 160, 168, 176
Size tested: 176
Design: New

It’s possible that Atomic tried last year’s Nordica Spitfire RB and decided that a good old-fashioned arms race was in order for 2020. The WB (Wide Body) has the strength of the skinny X9 but a broader palate for going off the groomed path. Stronger than the Blossom White Out and Head iRally, it is not a poppy, accommodating carver. Atomic wants you to pay attention, from start to finish. Turn initiation is pretty automatic, but the usual flexing of a recreational carver on its way to the belly of the turn is not there. Instead, the WB is looking for you to precisely orient your weight over the outside ski, while driving hard with the rest of you. Success leads to a massive sensation of G; failure results in a bit of an Austrian frown, followed by however you say “That ain’t it” in German.
  • Who it is for? Fairly serious carvers who still want to dip into the off piste.
  • Who it is not for? Casual carvers looking for a playful 70-something.

Augment SL World Cup
Dimensions: 114-66-99
Radius: 12m@157cm
Sizes: 155, 157, 165
Size tested: 157
Design: All New

Here’s a not-new Austrian company, with a new name. You might have heard of Crocs skis (or perhaps not), but they ran into a bit of copyright trouble with the rubbery clog thingies, so now it is Augment. As a price point, Augment makes skis in the Kästle/Stöckli/Renoun realm, so not cheap, then. But what it offers that sets it apart is the ability to pick your flex. No, really: you can have any ski it makes, from WC FIS to all mountain, in your choice of stiffness on a reverse 1-to-10 scale (1 being Ligety, 10 being rather soft). The SL I was able to get on was labeled a 6, which ended up being a little softer than the usual non-FIS recreational SL, and a good bit softer than any other FIS SL I have been on. Still, the handling was intuitive, and expensive in feel, if not as strong as I expected. If Augment can get past the “well, what does a 5 feel like to you?” with initial buyers who haven’t been on its skis, they have a previously unavailable niche, with a very enticing twist.
  • Who it is for? The discerning, and deep pocketed.
  • Who it is not for? I didn’t see any jibby skis in the lineup; this a directional company.

Blizzard Rustler 10
Dimensions: 133-102-122.5
Radius: 17.5m@180cm
Sizes: 164, 172, 180, 188
Size tested: 180
Design: New Construction

I was gaga over the Rustler 10 last year, and this year, Blizzard told us that it increased the wood core thickness by 1mm, gave it a new top sheet, and called it a day. So, all the loveliness from the original, with a supposed higher top speed, what’s not to like? Sorry to say, Blizzard didn’t seem to care if we found out. The pair handed to me easily wins the award for Most Appalling Tune this year. The base-high contour of the bottom robbed the ski of all the snappy responses its shape is capable of, and it skied nothing like the stellar pair I had last year. Only in very soft snow (or mindless straightlining, which I had to resort to) was the flex able to poke its nose past the unresponsiveness of the tune and reveal a bit more beef underfoot. The increase in stability is there, but wasn’t game changing, and I wouldn’t encourage anyone to ditch their current 10s.

So (combining this, and last year’s more actionable test): in either current or future form, the Rustler 10 is a hugely talented ski: its shape offers quickness in hard or soft snow, the medium/soft flex lets the driver easily select a variety of turns, and the construction offers enough beef to motor through crud at an amusing speed. I still want a pair.
  • Who it is for? Off-piste aficionados who want to make all kinds of turns.
  • Who it is not for? Big-mountain chargers will be better served with the Cochise.

Elan Ripstick 106 Black Edition
Dimensions: 140-106-122
Radius: 18.1m@181cm
Sizes: 167, 174, 181, 188
Size tested: 181

This is the ski that Elan should have served up from the get-go to resurrect the Ripstick name. Two years ago, we were enticed with an offering that sported a fantastic shape, but not enough power to enjoy it at speed. Last year, Elan kept the shape, but added a carbon layer for a meaningful increase in strength. With the exception of charging four figures (!) for this updated ski, Elan has righted the wrongs with the introduction of the Black. To wit: in our test route for off-piste skis, @Drahtguy Kevin and I rode the Black alongside Kästle's FX106. It equaled the Kästle for strength and stability in the rough stuff, and did so while feeling more entertaining.

The shape works all over the mountain, in a way that few other manufacturers can match (for skis in the One Oh Something category). From groomers to its intended environment, Elan has given it a shape that promotes quickness and precision without adding so much bulk that the fun is gone. I do look forward to the day when Elan chooses something other than the Amphibio, dedicated left ski/right ski marketing (kinda like when Völkl remembered that camber is good after all), but I cannot fault its execution on the Black: it is a top-shelf balance of power and playfulness.
  • Who it is for? A lot of people; this offers a ton, and doesn’t take Plake-level skills to access.
  • Who it is not for? The price will turn folks away, which is a shame.

Fischer Ranger 92Ti
Dimensions: 126-91-116
Radius: 17m@178cm
Sizes: 171, 178, 186
Size tested: 178

Fischer has a lot of competition here, and it kind of brought a knife to a gunfight. In the mixed snow of its intended environment, the 92 performs just fine; bumps and crud are its wheelhouse, and decent float is on tap for softer conditions. But this is filling the role of an everyday/travel ski, with maybe an optimistic expectation of softer snow. That means sometimes your optimism is dashed, and you are faced with hard-snow conditions and need to make the best of what ends up being a groomer day. If you’ve traveled far from home to get to the hill, this might be the only stick you’ve brought, so it had better be versatile, and this is where the Ranger suffers. Compared to the Rossignol Experience 94, Blizzard Rustler 9, Stöckli SR 88, Liberty V92 or Evolv 90, Kästle FX96 (ok, I’ll stop there), it struggles to stretch past what a low/mid-90s ski is best at and continue to satisfy in conditions where you might normally wish for something narrower.
  • Who it is for? If groomers just serve to get you to the trees, the Ranger is for you.
  • Who it is not for? If one ski has to do it all for you, there are more versatile choices.

K2 Mindbender 108Ti
Dimensions: 136-108-125
Radius: 22.9m@186cm
Sizes: 172, 179, 186, 193
Size tested: 186

The Mindbender family is a new line of skis for K2, replacing the outgoing Pinnacle series, and the result is a very approachable powder/fat all-mountain ski for the intermediate to advanced skier. It doesn’t shout at you with wired-to-the-brain response, or M1 Abrams, Main Battle Tank power; it won’t press you to rage through crud and among the trees against your will. It offers decent strength and comfort, wrapped in a package that doesn’t ask a lot of the driver. Like the top-selling Toyota Camry, it’ll get you there.
  • Who it is for? Easygoing K2 fans will rejoice in the Mindbender’s abilities.
  • Who it is not for? Need more rawr? K2’s sister company, Völkl, makes the eye-popping Mantra 102.

Kästle FX96 HP
Dimensions: 133-96-119
Radius: 18.1m@180cm
Sizes: 172, 180,188
Size tested: 180

Listening to the recording I made after handing these back to Kästle, I used words like "amazing" and "best in test." I’ll stand by those spontaneous utterances. First off, this is an all-new ski, and there is no HP/non-HP (ie, with metal/without metal) distinction in this generation; just HP, and just without metal. Whatever, this ski is a revelation.

The construction is fairly light, but Head is managing lightness/stability/good snow feel pretty well these days, and now so is Kästle. Off piste in its intended world, the new FX is next-level, speed-of-thought quick (in the way that the Atomic Backland 107 is for the One Oh Something demographic), yet also strong and unruffled regardless of what you stuff it into (something it pulls off better than the Backland). On the frontside, the 96 is a capable and satisfying carver, with better-than-most torsional rigidity when up on edge (reminiscent of the Salomon XDM 84 and Völkl RTM 86). It also provides great communication about the snow underneath you in any condition.

I loved the first-generation FX94 (it remains my touring ski). I was underwhelmed by the relative numbness of the second- and third-gen FXs, but next year’s heir to the FX bloodline is fantastic, a new-school take on old-school snow feel.
  • Who it is for? “If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up.”
  • Who it is not for? Truly heavy or aggressive folks may need more power.

Kästle FX106 HP
Dimensions: 137-106-125
Radius: 20.4m@184cm
Sizes: 168, 176, 184, 192
Size tested: 184

Kästle used the same all-new construction found in the FX96 HP here, and it works again. The result of this strong, metal-less stick is something you can rely on. Power jauntily through soft snow, only to hit a coral bump waiting beneath, and you can feel how dialed in the flex is; the response is composed and predictable. On harder snow, it has a tip shape and torsional rigidity that feels very willing to carve for a ski in this class, above average all around. This would be the toast of the test, were it not for some meddling kids.

The Elan Ripstick 106 Black Edition, the Mantra 102, and perhaps a well-tuned Rustler 10 are also quick and predictable, yet do so with less lightening of the wallet. Even Kästle’s own FX96 HP feels like a better execution of the construction, as if it is ground zero for where the company is headed. Still, the 106 is a step in the right direction in feel over the outgoing BMX105; Kästle is moving forward.
  • Who it is for? Lovers of agility and refinement, your ski is ready.
  • Who it is not for? Folks who just want to rage can get a strong ski for less money.

Liberty Evolv 90
Dimensions: 132-90-114
Radius: 18.5m@179cm
Sizes: 165, 172, 179, 186
Size tested: 179, 186

If the V92 is Mr. Smooth (see below), the Evolv 90 is Mr. Personality. Compared to the V, the Evolv has more pop in its flex, a sprightlier response to your inputs from above, and a less muted reaction to 3D snow underneath. It was explained to be a couple of things: a love child between the V and the Origin (Liberty’s 90/96/106 off piste series), and a bit more price point-ish than the V-Series (it’s missing the carbon sheet that the V has). While the V-Series is no slouch off piste, when pitting the Evolv 90 against the V92 in the same bumps and chalk below Sierra lift, it does reveal the friskier nature of the 90. Back on piste, the 90, despite its slightly relaxed sidecut (18.5 vs the V92's 17.5 for the 179 lengths), holds well on firmer snow and initiates turns with alacrity.

Then there’s The Tail. The 90 has a noticeably stiffer tail than the V92, stiffer than just about any recreational ski. The result is a powerful finish to the turn you are just about done with, on and off piste, more so than any other ski I took down Union Peak, Revenge, and Kaboom at Copper this year. It changes the way you ski, and demands more attention than average, but the reward is a huge grin as the ski propels you across the fall line. You notice the tail’s power when you are on the Evolv, and then you notice it again when you click into just about any other ski, head over to the same terrain and snow, and feel its absence. In no small part due to the tail, sizing up is not necessary to get added stability.
  • Who it is for? Folks searching for a powerful/playful one-ski quiver should definitely start here.
  • Who it is not for? The Evolv needs a bit of skill to fully appreciate.

Liberty V76

Dimensions: 126-76-106
Radius: 14m@172cm
Sizes: 165, 172, 179
Size tested: 172

You can’t hear it from where you’re sitting, but the excited tone of my speech in the voice memo app recording, after clicking out of the V76, tells it all. This is a real ski, as in real good. Liberty is channeling a culture of ex-racer, high-level technique among its leadership, and exhibiting a creativity in ingredients and construction that indie companies often struggle to touch.

The V76 is a "Come Play With Me"* offering in the mid-70s recreational carver segment. Yin to the yang of the Atomic X9 WB’s burly scowl, the 76 still has excellent grip and stability, but wants to explore all over the mountain, whether it has been groomed or not. With a 14m radius at 172cm, it does everything quickly, but is still smooth and collected, eager without being psychotic. Off piste, it exudes confidence, and it feels … happy. It’s one of those skis where you get to the bottom and think, “Huh, that went by fast,” and only then do you realize your inner kid had taken over and (without bothering to let you know) grabbed your hand, dragging you down the hill at a much faster, much more instinctual level.

Liberty also gets massive credit (alongside Salomon, and another, yet-unnamed company) for caring to tune its demo ski fleet. Polished edges and smooth, flat bases made it easy to uncover the personality of their skis. It makes you wonder what other ski makers are thinking when they bring crappily tuned skis to a demo week where shops from around the country come to pick what they want to fill their ski wall with for next year .…
  • Who it is for? For those who like their narrow skis to be fun and versatile, the V76 provides.
  • Who it is not for? If you aren’t ready to believe an indie company can make a thoughtful frontside ski, you’ll be missing out.

Liberty V92
Dimensions: 133-92-120
Radius: 17.5m@179cm
Sizes: 172, 179, 186
Size tested: 179

When I was in line for skis at the Liberty tent, Liberty’s director of sales, Tim Dyer, introduced himself to @Drahtguy Kevin, @SkiNurse, and me. He gave us the rundown about Liberty’s story, and the deal with the V-Series and the new Evolvs, as well as the maturing of the Origin line. Then he did something no other tent fella (or gal) did this year: he grabbed a pair of skis and got on the lift with us for a few runs.

Tim described the V92 as Mr. Smooth. I agree. What that means on snow is that it accepts variables in terrain and snow conditions with an eerie composure. The shape is relatively "frontside traditional": not a lot of rocker, or taper in the shape at tip 'n’ tail. So it responds fairly immediately to inputs, which is very nice. But the construction, and how it results in a smooth and consistent response to the many kinds of snow we can find underneath us, really stands out. It’s not as lively as some, but you end up creating a mental swear jar in your head just to avoid overusing the word Smooth.

Which, looking back at what I just wrote, I failed to do. Oh well, the 92 warrants it.
  • Who it is for? Skiers looking for a smooth (dangit!) ride and legit all-mountain abilities.
  • Who it is not for? Not much comes to mind.

Line Sakana
Dimensions: 150-105-138
Radius: 15m@181cm
Sizes: 174, 181
Size tested: 181
Design: Carryover

Kudos to Line for thinking outside the box (sort of like last year’s Rossi Hero Elite Plus Ti). With an unusually spicy sidecut (15m radius in both 174 and 181, says the rep) and a tip-floating swallowtail, it looks anything but ordinary in the One Oh Something class, and would seem to be an exciting ski for talented skiers wanting to slash short-radius turns all over the mountain. Sadly, the engineers didn’t rise to the challenge of the architect, and the construction of the Sakana leaves it feeling a bit numb, with a vague flex that can’t "predictable-ize" the hookiness of the shape. Like a current-gen military fighter jet (F-22, Saab Gripen, et al) that has built-in instability to enhance its quickness, some real tech is needed for the pilot to manage the difference, yet Line just pressed in average materials, and called it good.

At lower speeds, and with an able driver, this ski can provide serious grins. The response of the sidecut when tipping into the turn is something usually reserved for mid-70mm carvers, so you should have a clear idea of what to do next; but when the speed picks up and the going gets tough, the Sakana cannot match the feel and confidence of the One Oh Something golden boys.
  • Who it is for? Skiers looking for the quirky and out-of-the-ordinary will find it here.
  • Who it is not for? Skiers seeking refinement and predictability won’t find it here.

Salomon QST 92
Dimensions: 130-92-113
Radius: 17m@177cm
Sizes: 153, 161, 169, 177, 185
Size tested: 177

Salomon tweaked the QST again for 2020, but in the 92, at least, the feeling is much the same as QSTs from last year. While it trails some of the more versatile 90-95mm skis in on-piste performance (e.g., Liberty V92), it is both stable and very maneuverable once you point it into some 3D lovin’ in the trees, bumps, and crud. As easily as it changes direction, regardless of the snow it is on or in, sizing up is definitely an option.
  • Who it is for? Intermediate/advanced skiers who want a friendly choice off piste.
  • Who it is not for? Folks needing a bit more precise and immediate response from their ski.

Salomon S/Force Bold
Dimensions: 132-84-116
Radius: 16m@177cm
Sizes: 170, 177, 184
Size tested: 177

Salomon jumps into the fray for the 2020 wider carver bonanza with the S/Force Bold, at 84 mm underfoot.

And wow.

I clicked into the S/Force shortly after the Stöckli Laser AR and was amazed by how well it held up against the very best the Swiss can concoct. It is powerful and stable on piste, with an intuitive tip for initiation and good snow feel throughout. As burly as it is for holding a firm grip at high edge angles, it then seemingly transforms into a willing dance partner off piste, deftly maneuvering through bumps and crud with its above average strength waiting in the background. It never feels like a heavy tank, just loads of "we got this" confidence.

Salomon also wins the award for being in the Top 3 of the test for ski manufacturers that understand the importance of a good tune -- or, to put it another way, it actually cared. It was superb on the S/Force, and it enabled a clear vision of the Force’s abilities, unlike the murky view offered by the tune on the Laser AR.
  • Who it is for? Just about anyone looking for a strong, usable all mountain ski. This delivers.
  • Who it is not for? If you absolutely, positively must have a light ski, this is not that.

Stöckli Laser AR
Dimensions: 130-83-112
Radius: 16.5m@175cm
Sizes: 151, 161, 168, 175, 182

In a year full of wider carvers coming for 2020, Stöckli is not about to go quietly into the night with a segment in which it typically leads the way. The 83mm Laser AR is just what you expect: refined, strong, quiet. What you may not be expecting is a subpar tune, and a factory 1.3° base bevel (of which Stöckli was extolling the virtues at the SIA convention). The result is a lack of immediacy with turn initiation from the bevel, and a bit of non-surefootedness from the nutty tune.
  • Who is it for? The aggressive, the skilled, and the well-heeled.
  • Who is it not for? Heel pushing couch surfers.

Stöckli Stormrider 95
Dimensions: 135-95-123
Radius: 17.2m@175cm
Sizes: 166, 175, 184, 193

It’s a new year, and a new Stormrider 95. Just like the previous SR 95 reveal at SIA two years ago, Stöckli did not bring the 184, so we had only the very short wheelbase (it has tip and tail rocker, after all) 175 to dissect. Thinner titanal, thicker wood core, and a pronounced, wider tail are the highlights vice the previous generation, as well as the same 1.3° factory base bevel found on the new Laser AR we tested. It had the same "half a Mississippi" pause that the AR had before initiating the turn, and lazy skiing was able to induce those fatty tails to hang up off piste. Still, Stöckli refinement comes standard with this new SR, and it is a smooth ride. And a year from now, Stöckli will remember to pop the 184 into the van for SIA, we’ll get to enjoy, err, test it then.
  • Who it is for? If previous generations of SR seemed a bit much for you, these should be more usable.
  • Who it is not for? The 175 skis fairly short; bigger skiers will want to wait for the 184.

Völkl Mantra 102
Dimensions: 140-102-123
Radius: 21.4m@184cm
Sizes: 170, 177, 184, 191
Size tested: 184

@Philpug knows I am a fan of the now long-extinct Salomon Q-Lab, which is a fairly strong 104mm ski. With this in mind, he told me that the Mantra 102 was a must for my testing list. It was like telling a 49ers fan to consider choosing someone other than Joe Montana as your favorite quarterback. It’s a tough sell.

But holy crap, the 102 is sublime. Clicking in, it feels like a heavy-ish charger of a ski, leaving one to wonder if this is a "float like a butterfly" Ali of a heavyweight, or a George Foreman-y bull in a china shop. The 102 is all sweet, young Ali. I handed them off to @Drahtguy Kevin; after a go at them for a bit, he asked what length they were, and I could tell he was expecting to hear that I had grabbed the 177. Nope, 184 (Völkl hadn’t even brought a 177 to the test). Far from being a handful, the fatty Mantra is very easy to maneuver, on and off piste; it disguises its bulk incredibly well.

So, what’s the catch? If it’s that nimble, does it have a glass jaw and can’t take a punch? Quite the opposite: apart from the Augment FIS SL and the Atomic X9 twins, I took every ski you see here over to Sierra lift to sample the crud, bumps, lovely chalk, and wind-affected coral lurking within what is available in the wonderful microcosm of Union Peak, Kaboom, and Revenge. Many of the skis did well, but none ironed out the chaos as effectively as the Mantra 102.

But wait, there’s more: I place a high value on 90-somethings and One Oh Somethings that are at least entertaining on the groomed runout from the fun zone back to the lift. Or to put it another way, if I end up at the hill with just one ski, I want to have a fun day, even if the mountain snow totals overreported and underdelivered. The Mantra performed better than its contemporaries in this regard. Spend some more calories on getting on edge and drive into the turn, and you are rewarded with a willing shape, and a flex strong enough to propel you across the fall line. It’s a special ski.
  • Who it is for? The bold, and yet, not; the power is accessible without grunting like Monica Seles.
  • Who it is not for? Skiers placing a premium on agility over power would be better served with Atomic's Backland 107.

Awards and Footnotes

*Come Play With Me

Each year, a couple of skis make it extremely hard to return to the tent farm, and hand such a delightful surprise back in. What if the clock strikes 12, and we never recover the glass slipper left behind in our haste? This year, a veritable closet of slippers was dumped at our feet. Liberty had more foot candy than any other manufacturer, the V-Series and rookie Evolv line were dragon-chasingly addictive. Kästle dug deep and flexed its engineering muscle with the flawlessly sorted FX96 HP, and Völkl redefined accessible power with the Mantra 102. Others impressed as well, but I have to draw the line somewhere; I can’t even afford to take home all of this lot. Ski testing is expensive ....

You Had One Job, vs Holy Sh!t, It’s Julia!

We understand that Kästle and Stöckli are small-market teams, they can’t show up with loads of skis like Blizzard or Rossignol might be able to, and we all have to wait in line. Green Bay and Pittsburgh need to play smart with their squad, while New England and Dallas can spend at will. So, Kästle shows up with precisely one pair of the FX96 and 106, and actually comes looking for us when we give the 106 the same fair shake we give to all the all the other skis we tested. Back off, or, maybe try what other makers do, and bring more than one pair of a key model.

OR, do what Stöckli did: it brought right around zero of the hugely sought-after SR 95 in the 184 reference length, but it did elect to bring Julia Mancuso. Not only that, but Julia, and her thighs, would take a run or so with a lucky few (I’m not saying it was me; I’m saying it was Matt Deem), leaving the most jaded of testers mumbling in a fugue state about “There I was, for One Turn; then she was gone.” Game, set, match to Stöckli.

The Tune

It’s hard to give a pass on this. Some companies don't understand how much a good tune lets a tester explore the talents of their skis. Picture trying to select the perfect birthday gift, but all the gifts are blurred underneath a smeared and dusty display case. You’re just not sure what you are buying. Or look at it another way: if the manufacturer could not care less about the tune, what else do they not give a darn about?

In any event, some do care. Liberty and Salomon showed up like their bottom lines depended on it, and so did Kästle. Kästle has been the perennial whipping boy in the finishing room department the last few years, but this year, it meant business. One of Pugski’s testers overheard a couple of gaper judges complaining that the tunes in the Kästle tent were too precise, hooray!

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
I'm disappointed to learn that Elan still isn't willing to give up on the Amphibio idea.

I'm appalled that Stockli is willing to dumb-down it's ski tuning specs for unknown reasons.

I'm excited to see Kastle get the FX series back to the performance of the first generation.

I definitely need to get on some more Liberty skis.

Thanks for the write-ups; educational and entertaining.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Nice reviews! Question on the FX94: Did the tip shape sometime feel "vague" to you on groomers? Just curious, as that's the ONE thing about this ski (the women's version) that I didn't quite care for. Might also be what made it such a hoot in the crud. I'm debating these for my powder skis for next season.

Too bad about the tune on the Rustler.

And, the man friend here echos your sentiments about the Salomon. He freakin' LOVED them, so much that he will be getting a pair to replace his Rossi E88s next year (I thought he'd never let those things go.) He took them out for several runs, as much off-piste as possible, and couldn't get enough of them.

James

Out There
Instructor
I thought Julia was pregnant??

Great reviews.
What size would you personally want in each of these : S Force Bold, V76, FX 96?

I'm appalled that Stockli is willing to dumb-down it's ski tuning specs for unknown reasons.
That 1.3 deg base bevel was touted as brilliant on here by the Stockli rep. As if it were a newly discovered element.

Wow, maybe Liberty can get their production skis put out with the same quality tunes. The ones I encountered this year in a shop were not good. But, good for them.

Last edited:

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I'm disappointed to learn that Elan still isn't willing to give up on the Amphibio idea.

I'm excited to see Kastle get the FX series back to the performance of the first generation.

I definitely need to get on some more Liberty skis.

Thanks for the write-ups; educational and entertaining.

I neeeed to try those Liberty skis.

I will be on my Alpine setup tomorrow at LL. (M88's)

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
I got on the Salomon S/Force Bold today for a few laps (177cm) at A-Basin. Don't let the heft of these skis scare you when you pick them up. There is definitely some beef to them, but that translates to an incredibly surefooted ride across the mountain. This brings up a bit of a fallacy that Phil and I chatted about today. There seems to be a belief that light skis = easy and heavy skis = hard. The S/Force Bold shows that this is not always the case. On snow the S/Force Bold is surprisingly quick for its size; able to pop off quicker turns than its dimensions or weight would lead you to believe. It can do this while also providing that "hug the slope" feeling across groomers.

For me this was a very surprising ski from Salomon. Since I've been out of the game for the past few seasons, it's nice to see another manufacturer come out with a ski with sufficient girth to play the all-mountain game that can still party with your friends that are on their slalom skis.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Interesting. While I quite liked the 175 AR, it didn't WOW me like the 175 AX did, though I assume that at Stockli's own test center they'd have the same tune.
Both the AX I demo'd and the AX i bought were the 2018-19 (Turtle Shell Comfort) model; the AR would of course be the 2019-20.
Honestly, I had expected the AR to be my choice, based on @LindseyB's comments and the 83mm waist, but on the snow I just really loved the AX far more.
I didn't ski my purchased AX until I got back to Japan, so about eight days after being on the demo skis, but as best I can tell the tune seems much the same.
Anyway, all the above just FYI one inept skier's experience/opinion on skis far too good for his ability.

Kyle

Out on the slopes
Skier
Thanks FTM---I always look forward to your review both because they are so well done and because I know we generally have the same taste in skis.

TS
FairToMiddlin

FairToMiddlin

Getting off the lift
SkiTalk Tester
Nice reviews! Question on the FX94: Did the tip shape sometime feel "vague" to you on groomers? Just curious, as that's the ONE thing about this ski (the women's version) that I didn't quite care for. Might also be what made it such a hoot in the crud. I'm debating these for my powder skis for next season.

Too bad about the tune on the Rustler.

And, the man friend here echos your sentiments about the Salomon. He freakin' LOVED them, so much that he will be getting a pair to replace his Rossi E88s next year (I thought he'd never let those things go.) He took them out for several runs, as much off-piste as possible, and couldn't get enough of them.

Next year’s women FXs look fantastic, girls get all the cool colors! As far as tip shape on groomers, I thought the 96 was pretty competitive with its contemporaries: better than the SR95, maybe not as good as the Rustler9 (but a better ski overall). Certainly not as good as something like the S Force Bold, but I’ve been on worse.

Glad to hear your man likes the new Sollie as well, high praise coming from him. We still talk about the tour of Snowbasin we had with him, that fella knows what he’s doing!

Last edited:

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Next year’s women FXs look fantastic, girls get all the cool colors! As far as top shape on groomers, I thought the 96 was pretty competitive with its contemporaries: better than the SR95, maybe not as good as the Rustler9 (but a better ski overall). Certainly not as good as something like the S Force Bold, but I’ve been on worse.

Glad to hear your man likes the new Sollie as well, high praise coming from him. We still talk about the tour of Snowbasin we had with him, that fella knows what he’s doing!
I'm anxious to get out on a few mid-to-upper 90s skis next season in powder, and the FX94s are high on my list.
And yeah, lucky me, I get to ski with someone who has some skills, for sure!

TS
FairToMiddlin

FairToMiddlin

Getting off the lift
SkiTalk Tester
I thought Julia was pregnant??

Great reviews.
What size would you personally want in each of these : S Force Bold, V76, FX 96?

That 1.3 deg base bevel was touted as brilliant on here by the Stockli rep. As if it were a newly discovered element.

Wow, maybe Liberty can get their production skis put out with the same quality tunes. The ones I encountered this year in a shop were not good. But, good for them.

I’d go with the lengths I tested for all three. In the FX, the next size up (188) might be a lot of ski, but not unmanageable, it’s probably what @Drahtguy Kevin would go for. The 177 Sollie was perfect. 172 in the V76 changed the personality of the V from the longer lengths that I skied with the V92. I’d stick with the 172 for the V76, it was still very capable off piste, and a hoot to lay over and rip on piste.

“As if it were a newly discovered element.” I agree, and you put your finger on it in a way I was sensing, but just dimly aware of. It makes me think of this video when the iPhone 7 came out:

The flex is nice, but the factory bevel (remedied easily enough), and perhaps the markedly wider tail may cause some to balk.

Last edited:

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Ok, so I did try the Liberty skis and I was VERY Impressed.

My favorite was the Evolv 90 179cm. It felt intuitive and easy right from the start. It is just about the truest all mountain, really, ALL Mounatin! ski I have ever been on. It handled everything with ease. Off piste or on piste, firm snow to softer snow. I would be very happy with this ski as my everyday day ski for non-powder days in Colorado. The edge hold was really good, the ski absorbed the terrain nicely (smooth/damp enough) and felt secure everywhere while still being fun. Where it set itself apart is that it felt great in the bumps and off piste. Most skis do not feel that good everywhere on the mountain. The key was the forgiving tip (but not noodly at all) combined with a solid underfoot and tail feel. The ski felt very balanced and just well tuned.

I also really liked the V92 179cm but it clearly preferred the groomed terrain although it handled the off trail well. If you prefer the groomers but still want some legit soft snow and off trail capability the V92 is a great choice.

I also got a few solid runs on the Salomon S/Force Bold 177cm. These were really a perfect wide carver. They beg you to push harder, ski faster and finish all your turns. They are absolutely automatic in medium radius turns but can be pushed into tighter turns. These skis just smooth out the terrain. They eat up vert quickly. If you like to cruise comfortably (but FAST) on groomers but want a wider platform for dealing with rougher snow and the occasional light off trail pursuit this is your ski.

I am 6-2 190 lb and on the day I demoed these skis I brought my Head Monster 88 184cm which is what I usually ski on days like this in Colorado.

LindseyB

Stöckli
Industry Insider
Manufacturer
I’d go with the lengths I tested for all three. In the FX, the next size up (188) might be a lot of ski, but not unmanageable, it’s probably what @Drahtguy Kevin would go for. The 177 Sollie was perfect. 172 in the V76 changed the personality of the V from the longer lengths that I skied with the V92. I’d stick with the 172 for the V76, it was still very capable off piste, and a hoot to lay over and rip on piste.

“As if it were a newly discovered element.” I agree, and you put your finger on it in a way I was sensing, but just dimly aware of. It makes me think of this video when the iPhone 7 came out:

The flex is nice, but the factory bevel (remedied easily enough), and perhaps the markedly wider tail may cause some to balk.

That was your interpretation. Little if anything was said about it being a new thing.

The 1.3 has been the standard on SR and Laser AX since 2017. Didn't see anyone saying anything then. Maybe superstition causing some placebo effect? I heard from hundreds of people during demoes this year that the AR was effortless and quick into the turn and had the same response of the 95.
Strange enough, the AR did really very among the less skilled and elderly.

I think this points to a few things.
Different skiers can have entirely different opinions of skis and it doesn't always relate to experience.
Test driving a ski for yourself is never a bad idea.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
That was your interpretation. Little if anything was said about it being a new thing.

The 1.3 has been the standard on SR and Laser AX since 2017. Didn't see anyone saying anything then. Maybe superstition causing some placebo effect? I heard from hundreds of people during demoes this year that the AR was effortless and quick into the turn and had the same response of the 95.
Strange enough, the AR did really very among the less skilled and elderly.

I think this points to a few things.
Different skiers can have entirely different opinions of skis and it doesn't always relate to experience.
Test driving a ski for yourself is never a bad idea.

That all may be so, but please take this criticism as some of us trying to be helpful. It is very easy to take a ski with a 1* bevel and make it 1.3* if the skier so chooses. However, getting a ski that's been set at 1.3* back to 1.0* or less means a significant amount of grinding will be required (on a brand new ski no less). I really don't understand why Stockli has made this decision, but it's not going to win you any friends among the core skiers and those most typically drawn to the Stockli brand. By trying to expand the "accessibility" of these skis to more skiers, you're really, in turn, alienating your base.

Once again, I hope this message is taken to Stockli as helpful criticism. 1.3* base bevels have no place on any Stockli ski.

Coolhand

Getting off the lift
Skier
My BS meter may be a little sensitive, but do you really think that you can "feel", 0.3 Deg difference on the base bevel? Maybe if you are a very experienced racer on very hard snow, you might be able to discern it. But, a recreational skier on "normal" ski area conditions? Not a chance. Factory tunes, even from Stockli are not that precise, and the ski has probably cured since production and initial factory machine tune. If you have ever really tuned skis, even with excellent tools and machinery, it is difficult to attain and/or maintain any bevel to the precision of 0.3 of a Degree. Most of time at demo test events you are struggling to just get a pair of test skis that are relatively flat on the base and aren't railed at the extremities, much less consistent edge bevels. Give me and everyone else here a break.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
My BS meter may be a little sensitive, but do you really think that you can "feel", 0.3 Deg difference on the base bevel? Maybe if you are a very experienced racer on very hard snow, you might be able to discern it. But, a recreational skier on "normal" ski area conditions? Not a chance. Factory tunes, even from Stockli are not that precise, and the ski has probably cured since production and initial factory machine tune. If you have ever really tuned skis, even with excellent tools and machinery, it is difficult to attain and/or maintain any bevel to the precision of 0.3 of a Degree. Most of time at demo test events you are struggling to just get a pair of test skis that are relatively flat on the base and aren't railed at the extremities, much less consistent edge bevels. Give me and everyone else here a break.

Take some time in the future and experiment with base bevels. I experiment with almost everything when it comes to my ski gear and its setup. Surprisingly, 0.3* change in base bevel is absolutely noticeable on hard snow. This is why they sell bevel guides of 0.5*, 0.7*, 1.0*, etc.

Sponsor

Staff online