• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Philpug ......am curious about your thoughts on the Scale collection. Why did they leave you "baffled"? Am looking for another ski to "round out" my quiver and could use your assistance. Have a Volkl Racetiger SL 172, MX74 in a 174, MX83 (too small), Stormrider 88 in 176. Mostly ski midwest and 10 days a year in CO or MT total 25 days +......aggressive and technically proficient skier with a penchant for short to medium radius (GS) turns. Not a super G type of skier. (used to ski at CBK and VT back east so I like skis that can hold) Am looking for a versatile ski, either a 78-84 or a 95ish with a penchant for Kastle and Stockli. Boots are Lange RX 120, weight 185 and hight 5'11. Any thoughts???
The Scales jsut hafe too much taper for my likes. The skis enter a turn well but fail to follow through on it.

DanishRider

Getting off the lift
Skier
What is going on at Atomic - the last couple of seasons, they completely ruined the lovable Vantage series - they are no fun no more! Might have to switch back to Blizzard, since the last good/fun Atomic was the blue/White 90 CTI i still love !

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
What is going on at Atomic - the last couple of seasons, they completely ruined the lovable Vantage series - they are no fun no more! Might have to switch back to Blizzard, since the last good/fun Atomic was the blue/White 90 CTI i still love !

The best skis in their current line suffer from 'lower-pricepoint-something-must-be-wrong-with-this-ski' itis. The non Ti Vantage 86 and 97 are just better skis. Fun? Fun you say? Bentchtler 100. If you can't have fun on that ski, something's wrong. And the Backland 117 is an excellent cat/heli/Hokkaido ski. Imho, only the vantage 107Ti seems to scale well with the Ti layup.

DanishRider

Getting off the lift
Skier
The best skis in their current line suffer from 'lower-pricepoint-something-must-be-wrong-with-this-ski' itis. The non Ti Vantage 86 and 97 are just better skis. Fun? Fun you say? Bentchtler 100. If you can't have fun on that ski, something's wrong. And the Backland 117 is an excellent cat/heli/Hokkaido ski. Imho, only the vantage 107Ti seems to scale well with the Ti layup.
Ok - i am living in Scandinavia - +100mm is for REALLY good days - 90mm is considered big for most people here. But you convinced me to get on the Bent Chetler :)

James

Out There
Instructor
So you're saying the non ti 97 is better overall than the ti?

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
These are only my opinions. Yes, I've tested the skis mentioned. I may well be an outlier. The 97ti just seemed planky, sort of disconnected (lack of snow feel.... yeah, a highly subjective discription, I know) to me. On the other hand, the 107ti seems like a good, strong, 1-0-something. I'd happily own a 193 back land 117 as a powder cat/heli trip ski.

TS
FairToMiddlin

FairToMiddlin

Getting off the lift
SkiTalk Tester
These are only my opinions. Yes, I've tested the skis mentioned. I may well be an outlier. The 97ti just seemed planky, sort of disconnected (lack of snow feel.... yeah, a highly subjective discription, I know) to me. On the other hand, the 107ti seems like a good, strong, 1-0-something. I'd happily own a 193 back land 117 as a powder cat/heli trip ski.

@markojp is onto something here. To wit: I just started testing the Backland 107 (with a huge disposition to not like it, due to the bad experience with the new Vantage 90Ti and 97Ti). So far it is reassuring me that Atomic isn't only making good race and recreational race/frontside skis. I'll follow up with that ski in an appropriate thread, but I would agree with what marko said about the Backland 117, just in a 1 oh something package.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@markojp is onto something here. To wit: I just started testing the Backland 107 (with a huge disposition to not like it, due to the bad experience with the new Vantage 90Ti and 97Ti). So far it is reassuring me that Atomic isn't only making good race and recreational race/frontside skis. I'll follow up with that ski in an appropriate thread, but I would agree with what marko said about the Backland 117, just in a 1 oh something package.

I love my 2017 Backland 109s and I’m not surprised you are liking the 107 if they have a similar feel.

Sponsor