• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

A Kalamazoo Ride Group's Worst Nightmare

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
This is an interesting step for Columbus Ohio.
The US city of Columbus, Ohio is to phase out yellow “Share the Road” signs in favour of white ones reading “Bikes May Use Full Lane.” The city believes that the move will better get across the message that cyclists are entitled to ride in the centre of the lane.
cyclists-may-use-full-lane-sign-ferguson-cc-licensed-mobikefed-flickr.jpg

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
Bob, just curious, do you use a front flashing white strobe? I'm guessing the bus just didn't see you. I agree with you...highly doubt if it was intentional at all as transit management certainly doesn't want to be involved in negligence lawsuits. I have a friend who drives in Seattle. I'll ask him for his thoughts.
I do. I agree that they just didn't see me. But there isn't much more I could have done to be visible.

By the way, over a week and I've gotten no response. I've pinged the recipients and if nothing to that, maybe involve a city attorney I know. Just to rattle their cage and make sure they are paying attention to things like this.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Holy crap! There are some angry people out there.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
I do. I agree that they just didn't see me. But there isn't much more I could have done to be visible.

By the way, over a week and I've gotten no response. I've pinged the recipients and if nothing to that, maybe involve a city attorney I know. Just to rattle their cage and make sure they are paying attention to things like this.
By the way, I pinged the city again and they did get back to me. Supposedly pulled video from the bus (didn't know they had this) and reviewed it with the driver and other drivers. Made it a learning opportunity, which is what I desired from the beginning. Seems like a good response.

chilehed

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have a friend who is an extremely experienced road cyclist (nearly qualified for TdF in his youth, Ironmans now). He advises me to be assertive. Ride in the lane wherever you need to and make cars go around you if they want.
^ this. Politeness on the road will kill you. As oncoming traffic increases and line of sight drops, I move over toward the center of the lane. That forces overtaking motorists to either run me over outright, or do a head-on into oncoming traffic if they insist on passing anyway. That doesn't relieve me of the need to watch for blind drunks, but it works pretty well against the turds who think that me staying to the side gives them permission to blast by at 70 mph, six inches from my elbow.

Sponsor

Staff online