• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Arizona/New Mexico A day at the Lemmon - 5/30/16

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Yesterday seemed like a good day for a drive so the fiance and I headed south to Mt. Lemmon. Mt. Lemmon sits above the city of Tucson and is home to the most southern lift accessed skiing in the United States. Mt. Lemmon Ski Valley aka "Ski the Lemmon" is a really cool little ski area that operates when conditions permit. The lifty told me they got in about 6 weeks of skiing this last season. They have a pretty good selection of short runs through beautiful old growth trees. I really liked the vibe and the views were spectacular. I've never made any turns up there but I will definitely be back to check it off my list. This is the kind of place that could easily disappear for many reasons so I am here to say support small ski areas when you can. IMG_3196z.jpg

The main lift
IMG_3187.JPG

Fire lookout?
IMG_3189.JPG

Looking off the summit (9,159 ft) and "backside" towards Tuscon IMG_3191.JPG

View down the main runs from near the top of the lift IMG_3193.JPG

IMG_3195.JPG .

Last edited:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Its always cool to see the resorts when the snow is gone and things are thriving in a different way than we usually see.

Dryheat

Getting on the lift
Skier
The deck is really stacked against them. They don't make snow. The peak is about 2000ft lower than flagstaff. And tucson often takes a few days to clear and open the road after a storm.

It's a great spot (sky island)to see the different climate zones as the city of tucson is low desert at 2400ft vs pine forests at 9200

Looking at the 110s in the valley next weekend, I'm weighing my options to get out of town. I really want to climb Humphries up to the bomber crash site this summer.

TS
Core2

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The deck is really stacked against them. They don't make snow. The peak is about 2000ft lower than flagstaff. And tucson often takes a few days to clear and open the road after a storm.

It's a great spot (sky island)to see the different climate zones as the city of tucson is low desert at 2400ft vs pine forests at 9200

Looking at the 110s in the valley next weekend, I'm weighing my options to get out of town. I really want to climb Humphries up to the bomber crash site this summer.

I don't think the restaurant/bar was in operation either which is one of their bigger attractions. I'm betting they make more money off the summer lift rides at $11 each than they do from the skiing. There was a mass of asian and european tourists up there riding the lift. The killer to that lift ride is you can actually drive to the top and walk to the place the chair ends. You could do some epic car skiing up there for sure but I would pay for a lift ticket just to support them. A few years back they had a 40" base at Christmas when Snowbowl was sitting at 25" so when the stars align the Lemmon can deliver.

TS
Core2

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Mt. Lemmon made me think about the second most southern ski area in the US, Ski Cloudcroft in New Mexico. Apparently they have been back in action for the last few seasons according to their Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/Ski-Cloudcroft-117907148296071/?fref=ts This place closed down when I was a kid so I am stoked to see them spinning lifts. They are a 700' vert ski area, less than 2 hours from El Paso! They have a similar elevation and are on the same storm track as Mt. Lemmon, I hope they can both stay viable.

ski-cloudcroft-1386418919.jpg

Sponsor

Staff online