• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

A change in culture of festivals in mountain communities

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Its common to see festivals like Bacon Bourbon and Brews, BBQ and Brews, Wing Festival, Autumn Food and Wine Festival, ....you get the idea.
Well, now with the legalization of marijuana in many areas, for the first time I saw a new one, Bud & Brew Music Festival.
Is this a sign of the future of festivals where cannabis is legal?

One of the things they said on the news is that you will be able to buy "buds" at the festival but not partake of it at the festival because of the regulation of where and how it can be used.

Cannabis is sooooo far off my radar, but its a known thing in the culture of mountain communities, not just in the skiing communities.
In the past, a thread like this could turn into a hot mess, but I think there is a change in thinking. Its almost like its become a topic that people aren't getting riled up about anymore.

Oddly enough, my critique is that they have palm trees in the media images. Palm trees are a Las Vegas thing, not a Reno thing.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Meh..if it's legal it's legal. Doesn't affect me personally. But there still has to be some common sense, so often lacking. For instance, we, like most places, have no smoking laws in restaurants, malls etc. Somehow, someone decided it would be ok if "medicinal" marijuana was smoked indoors. Like, seriously? It's still legal to smoke outdoors in most places so I get that. But for god's sake people, use your heads. We have so many more people now openly smoking weed while driving. I don't know how weed being legal meant driving while being under the influence of weed is ok. I just don't understand people.

Umm..I kinda went down the hot mess road..I understand if this gets obliterated... :eek:

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@scott43 Still trying to avoid the hot mess, I have faith that Pugski members can have this discussion without "hot messing" it. To your point, some people have lacked good sense, thinking it would be loosely regulated, but the under the influence laws are still laws. People who are pulled over under the influence of weed have the same ramifications as those under the influence of alcohol.

I recall Al from Arapahoe Basin taking a bad wrap for reinforcing the "no smoking in public" laws after weed became legal in Colorado.
http://arapahoebasin.blogspot.com/2013/10/marijuana.html
Don't get me wrong, its still at A-Basin, like many other resorts, but its not "In your face"

Like I said in the OP, they are making it clear that you can buy buds at the festival but can't partake until you're home.

This news story just made me think about it a little. :huh:

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Well for certain peeps, it's a paradigm shift, right? Like, not easy after being indoctrinated for years that it's suddenly ok. It'll take some time to sink in I imagine.

RachelV

I run TheSkiDiva.com and work at OpenSnow.
Ski Diva Tester
I recall Al from Arapahoe Basin taking a bad wrap for reinforcing the "no smoking in public" laws after weed became legal in Colorado.
http://arapahoebasin.blogspot.com/2013/10/marijuana.html
Don't get me wrong, its still at A-Basin, like many other resorts, but its not "In your face"

I think his follow up to that post was hilarious:
http://arapahoebasin.blogspot.com/2013/10/controversial.html

In my head, I paraphrase it as something like, "Holy hell guys, will you please just hide in the trees like you always have? Work with me, here." :)

Chris Walker

Ullr Is Lord
Skier
I have a live and let live attitude about weed. I have no interest in it but as long as you're not posing a danger to others I don't care. I shouldn't have to be subjected to your second-hand smoke though. Al was 100% right, IMO. People were blazing up in the lift lines and at the top of the trails. For goodness sake, find a shack or something.

BTW, "taking a bad wrap" is an eggcorn. http://grammarist.com/usage/bad-rap/

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Well for certain peeps, it's a paradigm shift, right? Like, not easy after being indoctrinated for years that it's suddenly ok. It'll take some time to sink in I imagine.
I was that person.
I was raised in a deeply rooted Christian world. I witnessed a couple uncles and one cousin suffer greatly from drug use and I lumped all illegal drugs in one world and envisioned my uncles/cousin as the picture of "that".
As I grew older, and still had not partaken of MJ I realized that there were different views on this for a reason.
I had a job that required random drug tests for my entire adult life until a few years ago. (I had a commercial driver's license)
Honestly, I don't have a desire to partake, but I don't harsh the mellow of someone who does, respectfully.
Everyone can grow and change if they choose.

I think his follow up to that post was hilarious:
http://arapahoebasin.blogspot.com/2013/10/controversial.html

In my head, I paraphrase it as something like, "Holy hell guys, will you please just hide in the trees like you always have? Work with me, here." :)
Exactly!

Chris Walker

Ullr Is Lord
Skier
Wow. I generally have a decent vocabulary but between this and someone else posting the word "petrichor" on FB I've learned 2 words in the last 10 minutes.

Don't feel bad; eggcorn was only coined in 2003. And petrichor sent me to the dictionary too. I'd always wondered what to call that!

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Wow. I generally have a decent vocabulary but between this and someone else posting the word "petrichor" on FB I've learned 2 words in the last 10 minutes.
Me, too. I like the definition of petrichor.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
I dunno. A bud festival where you can't legally partake is about as fanscinating as a bacon festival where you can't partake.

I don't smoke, definitely have nothing against it, but I don't think we're ever going to see the same attitude as outdoor drinking festivals because weed is forever going to be perceived as a low class endeavor.

Wolfski

Getting on the lift
Skier
Standing on top next to the lift , really? I've smoked everywhere but never there...really and I spent a lot of time at Arapahoe in the 70's
There was a fair amount of smoking in line for Vails chair 5 back in the the 70's

I frequent the Blues and Brews Festival in Telluride and thought I would experience a fair amount of outdoor smoking and found a lack of it, of course with edibles and vape the smell is gone. Great Festival BTW, highly recommended

A Bud and Brew Festival sounds like a Dead Show and I know you can smoke at those

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
If someone is organising a Bud & Brew festival then they better make sure the cops and local council etc are on board and on message (re blind eye/nose) because people are going to burn and claim you encouraged them into it . & I think they'd have a point. Who'd organise a food festival where you couldn't taste the goods on site or a liquor tasting in a dry county?

Sponsor

Staff online