• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Nice video.

Just to Nit Pick about the title of the video on Youtube: It's barely in the 50's; Sunday River opened Dec. 19th 1959. The car in the opening scene was a 1958 Buick Roadmaster. So either that video was shot just after Sunday river opened, or it was shot after 1960. Still a fun romp through ski history.

Nathanvg

Out on the slopes
Skier
Randomly wandered into this Video Tour through Maine's ski areas in the 1950s on YouTube
Not sure of the exact year but it's after 1961 since that satalite dome was built then. Cool video.

noggin

Getting on the lift
Skier
Cool video Thanks for posting. Yes definitely from the early 60's. Saddleback did not have t-bar lift access until winter of 60-61.
Hopefully Saddleback will open again soon. A truly great eastern skiing mountain.

JuneauTheHusky

Booting up
Skier
Cool video Thanks for posting. Yes definitely from the early 60's. Saddleback did not have t-bar lift access until winter of 60-61.
Hopefully Saddleback will open again soon. A truly great eastern skiing mountain.
Is it still the same old story with Saddleback or is there some real potential?

When I worked at a ski shop in Maine I always had people coming in telling me how much they missed the place.

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
I used to buy videos of vintage skiing. Nice to get them free on YouTube!

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Thanks for the trip down memory lane. Didn't ski Maine but it was more about the what not the where. Good had a whole different description back then; fun times.

mister moose

Instigator
Skier
The car in the opening scene was a 1958 Buick Roadmaster. So either that video was shot just after Sunday river opened, or it was shot after 1960.
But was the 1958 Buick Roadmaster available in mint metallic green?

f0490183efc46e827d902aee4647869f

Sponsor

Staff online