• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Northern Rockies/Alberta A bit of history about NW Montana resorts

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Just came across this article, don't know how I missed it.

Why are Northwest Montana’s Ski Areas Still Independent?
While a conglomerate arms race for ski area ownership rages nationwide, our region stands apart
https://flatheadbeacon.com/2019/01/06/northwest-montanas-ski-areas-still-independent/

Although it claims to address the independence of the local resorts, mostly it's a nice history.

Hopefully we stay independent.

New2

Out on the slopes
Skier
Neat article! "All this time, Turner has been the quietest surviving ski area in Montana, in terms of skier visits." I guess that means Bear Paw is busier.

This season has convinced me to keep on hoping that Alterra and Vail stay focused on areas that already have higher visitation, and that the crowds keep on buying Epic and Ikon passes :ogcool:

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I will be doing a pre-GatherIng road trip, was looking at staying at an Air BNB near Discovery that actually is a ski lodge of a former ski area, looks like it was called Wraith Hill. Apparently the lodge owners still spend time maintaining the runs, and it’s popular as a skin up, backcountry-ish sort of place.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
In addition to the three resorts near Whitefish that are mentioned, in the Missoula area you have Snowbowl, Lost Trail and Discover, all independent. Throw in Lookout Pass for good measure.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
TS
Sibhusky

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
I just wasn't sure if it was only in Montanans' mailings or national, as I would have expected people to make reference to it when they were talking about the resort placement.

Jack skis

Ex 207cm VR17 Skier
Skier
I'm in WA as is David Chase and I too got the Montana SKI insert. Two of us in WA doesn't make it country wide. maybe residents of other states will check in to answer your question.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I can see marketing in the PNW, as we’re actually the closest major metro regions to Idaho and MT. Relatively easy to drive to, and easier to fly with flights to several cities in MT. Schweitzer, for instance, gets a lot of visitors from the Seattle area, as the Spokane/Couer d Alene market is only so big, with several other ski area nearby within an easy drive. Those destination skiers have to come from somewhere, and usually from places that aren’t already near major destinations (CA, CO, UT).

I get the sense that Whitefish draws more vacationers from all over, as would Big Sky.

It’s interesting to me, while I have both Epic and Ikon passes this year (mostly due to instructing and also attending the Gathering), I’m just at interested in visiting the lesser-known independent resorts, and revising my priorities for future ski trips. The PR copy in the MT destination guide still doesn’t tell me much, so I have to explore for myself. And I was already planning to do so before this guide that came with SKI. Though I did read the MT guide more than the SKI mag, so I guess it worked.

TS
Sibhusky

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Another article covering regional ski areas. I'm surprised they glossed over Turner given their audience, but maybe they are saving it for themselves.

TonyPlush

Out on the slopes
Skier
Another article covering regional ski areas. I'm surprised they glossed over Turner given their audience, but maybe they are saving it for themselves.

@Sibhusky, do you have a favorite non-Whitefish mountain in Montana?

Not to thread hijack, but your recent help made me realize how easy it is for me to get from MSP to Montana, and that article has me interested in checking out Montana's other offerings. After January, I'll have checked off Whitefish and Big Sky. Red Lodge and Lost Trail Powder Mountain look especially tempting...

TS
Sibhusky

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
I liked Red Lodge back when my daughter raced and we were going to a lot of areas. (But that was over a decade ago.) She now lives in Missoula and has her pass at Lost Trail. It's not open every day and they hike to ski there sometimes (untouched powder). I'm not actually that high on Big Sky because of the pricing and its distance from an actual town. But I'm happy it's so popular. :cool:

Sponsor

Staff online